GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where is the Kessy antenna located in the rear of the Gti?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
There are 2 KESSY antennas in the car. There is 1 outside the car.

One is just under the front plastic lip of the front cubby in front of the shifter area.
The second is dead center behind the seat of your rear middle seat. You need to pull up the rear of trunk liner where it is tucked under the back of the back seats to see it. The last one is inside the rear bumper, so technically "outside" the car.

There is also an access control module in the steering column and another small module under/behind the glove box. Then you have the two front door handle sensors.

I am also having significant KESSY issues right now. If the car is on, my key randomly stops being recognized if a door on the car is opened and then the warning goes away after a bit.

I am thinking that it's due to the SoundSkin Pro sound deadening material I installed, but the company who makes it says that's not possible. It also seems strange that the doors would cause it to happen given that the key detection sensors are actually inside the vehicle and my key is in the vehicle (in my right pocket) when this is happening.

Last edited:

janeirouno

Mine has the same issue and sometimes it just beeps nearly nonstop. It also seems to stop when the door is opened. Any idea where the one in the bumper is?

jtitocci

Ready to race!
Mine has the same issue and sometimes it just beeps nearly nonstop. It also seems to stop when the door is opened. Any idea where the one in the bumper is?

It's located behind the bumper cover. Have to take the rear bumper off, and you'll see it right there mounted above the actual bumper par. It's about 4" long. If you remove the carpet in your spare tire area and look behind the rear seats you'll see what they look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtitocci

Ready to race!
I was having Kessy issues and it turned out to be my passenger door handle. If you have VCDS it should tell you where the fault is even if it's intermittent. I ran an auto scan and it literally said "passenger handle door control module fault" or something like that, but very specific. Handed it to my dealer, they ran diagnostics, replace the handle module, and good to go.

jtitocci

Ready to race!
There are 2 KESSY antennas in the car. There is 1 outside the car.

One is just under the front plastic lip of the front cubby in front of the shifter area.
The second is dead center behind the seat of your rear middle seat. You need to pull up the rear of trunk liner where it is tucked under the back of the back seats to see it. The last one is inside the rear bumper, so technically "outside" the car.

There is also an access control module in the steering column and another small module under/behind the glove box. Then you have the two front door handle sensors.

I am also having significant KESSY issues right now. If the car is on, my key randomly stops being recognized if a door on the car is opened and then the warning goes away after a bit.

I am thinking that it's due to the SoundSkin Pro sound deadening material I installed, but the company who makes it says that's not possible. It also seems strange that the doors would cause it to happen given that the key detection sensors are actually inside the vehicle and my key is in the vehicle (in my right pocket) when this is happening.

Have you checked the connections in the doors? I read someone else had a similar issue after adding sound deadening, and his connection for the sensor in the handle wasn't clipped perfectly, and was cause intermittent issues.

geokotzamanis

Passed Driver's Ed
I just got sound deadening installed and my kessy fault is showing up. My car locks/unlocks with key fob buttons, starts up, and hatch opens. But the door handles are not picking up the key fob. I'm hoping the shop will check it out for me free of charge because it is clearly linked to the install.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I just got sound deadening installed and my kessy fault is showing up. My car locks/unlocks with key fob buttons, starts up, and hatch opens. But the door handles are not picking up the key fob. I'm hoping the shop will check it out for me free of charge because it is clearly linked to the install.

Damn thats a bummer. I have yet to figure out my issues. I've double checked all of my connections and there are zero stored faults or any faults the dealer is picking up. Everything works, I just get random key not found issues.

I personally think there's some sort of RF interference that is going on in my case. Your case sounds different to me though.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Seems to me more pragmatic to keep the same question / thread / topic consolidated and updated, ideally having the solutions within as well

I agree but if you want a response you should tag someone with @and then their username to get a response instead of hoping that someone will reply. Obviously people aren't looking at three year old posts. Just trying to get you a response.