GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SABO's MK7

sabo

Ready to race!
26. LED Light Strip Under Hatch Cover

26. LED Light Strip Under Hatch Cover

Back at it. So I know I posted in the DIY, but i've added yet more LIGHTING. Can never have enough, right? Wanted better coverage in the trunk, so I decided on a LED strip light and mounted it under the hatch cover.

DIY Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/46ckjh292d...Strip.pdf?dl=0

Result is below:

Attachments

• IMG_2076.jpg
    IMG_2076.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 3,285
  • IMG_2103.jpg
    IMG_2103.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 3,180
  • IMG_2062.jpg
    IMG_2062.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 3,264
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
27. Llumar Air80 Windshield Tint

After getting 35% around, decided to just complete the heat blocking party and get the Air80 windshield. It was almost 90 today, but when I picked the car up it was in the shade. I will report back on how much heat reduction getting the windshield done...

Cost: $100

AIR Window Film Performance

Attachments

• IMG_0787.jpg
    IMG_0787.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 2,478
Last edited:

loudmouthbass

After getting 35% around, decided to just complete the heat blocking party and get the Air80 windshield. It was almost 90 today, but when I picked the car up it was in the shade. I will report back on how much heat reduction getting the windshield does/has. Specs below....

AIR Window Film Performance

please do...just down the road in north cackalacka. used same llumar tint 2 weeks ago on our sportwagen. went legal w/ 35% on front 2 windows, and slightly illegal w/ 40% on back doors and hatch. still warm inside and thinking about going back for the 80% air blue on the windshield and maybe pano sunroof.

aleczorz1

Passed Driver's Ed
+1 for a fellow Cubs fan on the east coast. Nice ride man, I like your build.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
For your kids.:D
A few years ago my plant had a booth at our local Fall Festival.
We had a tire recycling theme, so I made a few items.
These two guys are from used riding lawn mower tires.
The tool belts are from Walmart.

One of my co-workers took them home as his son loves to play with them. He is 2 years old.

View attachment 9831

View attachment 9832

Awesome.

You car is nice too, Sabo. ;)

sabo

Ready to race!
loudmouthbass said:
please do...just down the road in north cackalacka. used same llumar tint 2 weeks ago on our sportwagon. went legal w/ 35% on front 2 windows, and slightly illegal w/ 40% on back doors and hatch. still warm inside and thinking about going back for the 80% air blue on the windshield and maybe pano sunroof.

So, the Air80 is nice. The installer did a great job. Before, if I had my car baking in a lot, and get in a couldn't touch the top of my shifter for 10 minutes or so. We've had a few 95 days here recently and while the car is still warm, its overall I'd say 50% cooler and while the shifter and steering wheel are still medium warm, i'm able to grip them at first. So it is definitely helping with the windshield tint.

You will see some minor colors variations on objects out the tint if your sunglasses are polarized. Its not major. I have a few pair or unpolarized glasses so its avoidable...it doesn't bother me polarized either.

Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
Cracked

Well, not even 3 weeks after the windshield tint does this happen :mad:. Just pissed away $100 windshield tint plus whatever it will be to replace the windshield. Rock got me doing 80 on RT 64 the other day. Such is life.

Anyone use aftermarket windshields? How much and do they compare to OEM?

Attachments

• IMG_2155.jpg
    IMG_2155.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 2,404

sabo

Ready to race!
28. Euro Switch for Rear Fog

28. Euro Switch for Rear Fog

Mod: Decided to take a chance on a cheap 'OEM' priced euro switch. Although I think maybe I purchased the wrong one? This one appears to be for cars with front and rear. But after I code, we shall see if it works without errors. Anyone know if this will work on my R? If not, keep an eye out for me selling this one at a discount on a discounted price as it was.

Install was easy, quality looks good. I just had to reconnect my rear fog wire that I ran when I ran the DAP harness and euro LED tails....but had it disconnected until now.

Coding: Followed the DAP coding sent with my fog wire. Everything works perfectly. Second pull on switch hits the rear fog. No errors.

Price: $40 shipped. Delivered in 3 days from link below.

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-MK7-GOLF...ash=item5d59d033f9:g:XSkAAOSwAYtWG05a&vxp=mtr

Note: I will never use this fog light :D

Attachments

• IMG_2146.jpg
    IMG_2146.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 2,571
  • IMG_2147.jpg
    IMG_2147.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 2,521
  • IMG_2150.jpg
    IMG_2150.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 2,478
  • IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 2,535
  • IMG_2175.jpg
    IMG_2175.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 2,468
  • IMG_2177.jpg
    IMG_2177.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 2,393
Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I have the same one. No issues. Ability to have front and rear fogs with that switch is nice. Honestly haven't seen one for sale that's just front. Although I'm sure they're out there. Bummer on the windshield man...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I have the same one. No issues. Ability to have front and rear fogs with that switch is nice. Honestly haven't seen one for sale that's just front. Although I'm sure they're out there. Bummer on the windshield man...

hi_centered

I think this may be my favorite thread in this category, can't wait to see what's next.

sabo

Ready to race!
I have same switch.
I think rear fogs need coding and electrical wiring.
I think deautokey has a DIY posted on this subject.
With your other work this will be an easy mod for you.
Wish you were close so I could hire.
Hate the windshield. Looked like a good hit. Wake you up?

I have wiring in place so after coding this week will know for sure. I'm only worried because my R doesn't have front fogs, so not sure if i'll throw an error. Not really worried about the switch itself...

yeah, windshield shot made me flinch. the pic I posted isn't the whole picture. The crack goes more than half way across the width...oh well.

Last edited:

hi_centered

Well, not even 3 weeks after the windshield tint does this happen :mad:. Just pissed away $100 windshield tint plus whatever it will be to replace the windshield. Rock got me doing 80 on RT 64 the other day. Such is life.

Anyone use aftermarket windshields? How much and do they compare to OEM?

I can tell you from experience that aftermarket windshields and rain sensors are a terrible combination. Worth spending the extra $$ on OEM.