GOLFMKV

boost gauge options

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion

fudsey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 MkV GTI
So I've decided on the NewSouth boost gauge mainly because of its value, but haven't bought it yet because I'm not a fan of their boost tap that looks like you have to jerry-rig your car to get the gauge to work.

I came across this CTS boost tap that is a bolt on. Does anyone have any experience with this item?
http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/products/CTS_Turbo_TSI_Gen_3_Boost_Tap_Kit-4691-0.html

It will work but you will need to Jerry-rig the no buzz fitting somehow or you might get buzzing from the gauge. The new APR one will work also and they provide a brass fitting to reduce/stop buzzing.

I installed the NSP kit last week and love it. The tap really isn't that bad and once it's done, looks good and functions perfectly.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
It will work but you will need to Jerry-rig the no buzz fitting somehow or you might get buzzing from the gauge. The new APR one will work also and they provide a brass fitting to reduce/stop buzzing.

I installed the NSP kit last week and love it. The tap really isn't that bad and once it's done, looks good and functions perfectly.

That great to hear! I had forgotten about th no buzz fitting. If you wanted to remove the gauge, how would you fill the hole that was created while installing the boost tap?

I went ahead and ordered this gauge so I'll report back when I have it installed, which may not be until the end if the month.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
So I've decided on the NewSouth boost gauge mainly because of its value, but haven't bought it yet because I'm not a fan of their boost tap that looks like you have to jerry-rig your car to get the gauge to work.

I came across this CTS boost tap that is a bolt on. Does anyone have any experience with this item?
http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/products/CTS_Turbo_TSI_Gen_3_Boost_Tap_Kit-4691-0.html

If you get the CTS one make sure you do not over tighten because the plastic thread strips easily then you will battle with it. Talking out of experience. I have the same on the R and no issues.

carterruss

Ready to race!
Installed my Podi gauge over the weekend. Install wasn't bad, about 2 hours (tap install through completion). I hate electrical work so took longer than someone with skill. My wiring job wasn't the best but it works.

Overall it was about $100 cheaper than APRs solution but you don't get the plug and play wiring harness. So good alternative if you don't mind tackling the wiring.

Podi Gauge: 140
NewSouth vent pod: 55
APR boost tap: 60

Total: $255

Last edited:

elshamy19

I need help bad I own 2000 gti 1.8 I did head job full tune up.now the car is slow on take off and she smokes heavy is that cause of the turbo being bad...I need to know I put a lot of work and money into my car need help.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
If you get the CTS one make sure you do not over tighten because the plastic thread strips easily then you will battle with it. Talking out of experience. I have the same on the R and no issues.

Are you using that tap with the NewSouth gauge? I'm not familiar with what the "no buzz" fitting is. I'm assuming it's a calibrated hole?

Z27

Ready to race!
I have read that the P3 (using the OBDII) displays the 'requested' boost while one with a boost sensor displays the 'actual' boost.

I have also read that because of this, the 'requested' boost will display slightly lower results than the 'actual' boost.

Question is, will the 'requested' results throw off the whole idea of a diagnostic use (e.g. turbo failure or boost leak) because it will always display what is requested and not actual?

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
I appreciate that APR made a OEM matched gauge, but the ricer in me would get the Defi Blue Racer. Wouldn't get any other gauge brand.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Not that I've seen, but you could get a generic pod and mount it there if you wanted.