GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

boost gauge options

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Vent Boost Gauge Options

Since I am hoping for a boost gauge and have decided that I want a vent kit with analog boost and not just OBDII, I would compile my findings here. This is for the MK7 GTi. ;)

Option 1
P3 Cars
http://www.p3cars.com/shop/vw/vw-go...r-golf-tdi-vent-integrated-digital-interface/

Base Price $389
Pre-installed in vent add $70
Color match GTI add $40
Analog boost sensor add $30**

Total with options $499*

*It appears that there is a discount given when adding all options together on their web page.

**Boost tap is NOT included

Option 2
APR
https://www.goapr.com/products/boost_gauge_mk7_golf.html
Price for kit $299.99
This kit does not include the required boost tap.
https://www.goapr.com/products/boost_tap_20t_ea888_gen3.html
Price for boost tap $59.99

Total price for kit and boost tap $359.99

Option 3
NewSouth Turbo VentPod Kit
http://www.newsouthperformance.com/Mk7pod.htm
Price for kit $135

Edit: Referencing the post below, it looks like installing a NewSouth gauge requires slightly more work than the P3 or APR plug and play options.

Hope this helps by putting the information in one place and if there is anything that I got wrong or should add, let me know and I'll edit this post.

Edit: Added that boost tap is NOT included with P3 cars vent gauge.

Last edited:

fudsey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 MkV GTI

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
The New South kit includes everything you need to install. It includes the wire taps and a boost tap(of sorts) to install it completely.

Directions are here http://www.newsouthperformance.com/images/pod/Mk7/POD%20032%20Mk7%20VentPod%20Manual.pdf

Thanks for sharing. Have you installed this yourself? I'm curious how well made that boost tap is. I have use the same type of wire connectors that are shown in the picture of the instructions and my opinion is that they are a bad way to connect wires. If I install this gauge, I will find a different way to splice into the wires.

I also wonder if it is possible to use the APR boost tap with the NewSouth gauge. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

fudsey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 MkV GTI
No I haven't gotten it yet but plan too real soon. Got to get my VWR springs put on 1st :)

Yes you can use the APR boost tap with the NS gauge, not sure about the "no buzz" fitting. Although APR includes a brass fitting for mechanical gauges, so I think that might work too.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

Those are some shitty directions.

They took the MK6 version and barely updated it for the MK7. That would confuse a lot of (new VW) MK7 owners, IMO

my opinion is that they are a bad way to connect wires. If I install this gauge, I will find a different way to splice into the wires.
True, but they work and it's the less permanent way of doing it without destroying your OEM wiring....in case you want to remove the gauge ever, in the future.

I use these taps instead, personally, and have had no issues (tap for 18-22gauge wiring):

fudsey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 MkV GTI
Those are some shitty directions.

They took the MK6 version and barely updated it for the MK7. That would confuse a lot of (new VW) MK7 owners, IMO

True, but they work and it's the less permanent way of doing it without destroying your OEM wiring....in case you want to remove the gauge ever, in the future.

I use these taps instead, personally, and have had no issues (tap for 18-22gauge wiring):

Yes those directions are pretty crappy but they do explain everything you need to do. There are a few Mk6 references in them. I was hoping those were the wire connectors the NS came with, guess not.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yes those directions are pretty crappy but they do explain everything you need to do. There are a few Mk6 references in them. I was hoping those were the wire connectors the NS came with, guess not.

I mean the pictures would be confusing, since they show a MK6 interior on page 2, a picture of the previous gen TSI engine on page 3, and then a MK5 interior on page 4.

LOL

witsbusa

Ready to race!
Back on the boost pod / gauge options.. has anyone come across a steering column pod option yet for the MK7.. Like this one from newsouth for the MK6?

I presume I am correct that the MK6 version won't fit an MK7, right? I'll e-mail newsouth but if anyone knows in the meantime, that would be great too..

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
I've looked for a steering column pod for the mk7, but have yet to see one. Something I did come across was that the plastic used on the mk6 didn't always match up with the color of OEM. Also, from what peeps have reported on the Mk6, the boost gauge in that position partially blocked the view of the coolant temp gauge. I have no experience with previous gen GTI, just FYI from what I remember reading.

witsbusa

Ready to race!
I've looked for a steering column pod for the mk7, but have yet to see one. Something I did come across was that the plastic used on the mk6 didn't always match up with the color of OEM. Also, from what peeps have reported on the Mk6, the boost gauge in that position partially blocked the view of the coolant temp gauge. I have no experience with previous gen GTI, just FYI from what I remember reading.

Thanks for the info.. yeah, the coolant gauge is not something I am too concerned with losing quick visual access to..

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion

flygteye

Ready to race!
I actually asked New South Performance about the steering column pod and their response was that they will but don't have a time frame. That's too bad since I'd rather have this than a vent pod.