GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windshield replacement

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Getting my windshield replaced tomorrow at safelite, oem part.

Anything I need to look out or make sure is or isn’t done? No rain sensing wipers involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
So many threads on this I feel like but, no.
Just make sure you inspect it before they leave.
They did mine (also do not have rain sensing wipers) and it went fine.

pcr

Ready to race!
I don't know how to avoid it but scratches in the paintwork beneath the seal caused when removing the old screen will in time cause rusting around new screen, I have seen several examples of this.
Also, make sure all trim is not damaged and correctly fitted.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I made the mistake of letting Safelite replace my windshield and they COMPLETELY butchered the job - the rain sensor & camera were reinstalled improperly, leaving greasy fingerprints all over the windshield under the sensor cover, and the sensor didn't even work. Too much sealant around the edges of the windshield oozing all over the place. And this was done AT their facility, not in the field. Probably let some trainee do the work, under incompetent supervision.

Never again.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
OP, Look for any damage to exterior a-pillar paint and windshield trim that runs down the pillars. Ensure that trim is properly clipped in. Check the bottom edge of the windshield where it meets the rest of the body of the car, ensuring it's evenly seated.

I made the mistake of letting Safelite replace my windshield and they COMPLETELY butchered the job - the rain sensor & camera were reinstalled improperly, leaving greasy fingerprints all over the windshield under the sensor cover, and the sensor didn't even work. Too much sealant around the edges of the windshield oozing all over the place. And this was done AT their facility, not in the field. Probably let some trainee do the work, under incompetent supervision.

Never again.

Who would you use then? The few times I've had windshields replaced "at the dealer" on various cars including VW, they've contracted it out to some other company that handles their glass work who came on site to do the job.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Who would you use then? The few times I've had windshields replaced "at the dealer" on various cars including VW, they've contracted it out to some other company that handles their glass work who came on site to do the job.

And that's the way to do it IMHO. I'm now on my 3rd windshield in 16k miles. The last time I went the dealership route. They subcontract to a local shop they use regularly, so they know our cars. They do the work at the dealership, which in Phoenix is a good thing if it's the middle of summer - work gets done indoors instead of in a parking lot somewhere in 114-degree heat. Worked out great - had the dealer order the OEM windshield, they scheduled the swap once it came in, had one brief phone call with the glass company & my insurance, who agreed to cover the OEM glass with zero out-of-pocket from me (VW glass is very reasonable compared to some OEMs - Toyota/Lexus I've heard is outrageously expensive), and they did an OUTSTANDING job replacing the glass and properly reinstalling the camera & sensors. All done on one dealership work order, no direct dealing with the glass company at all other than the insurance call. I highly recommend this route to anyone. The dealer is going to be using someone trustworthy and who gets familiar with VWs from being the dealership's go-to vendor. I should have done this in the first place instead of dealing with Safelite once. That was a Mongolian clusterfarkle in every respect.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
And that's the way to do it IMHO. I'm now on my 3rd windshield in 16k miles. The last time I went the dealership route. They subcontract to a local shop they use regularly, so they know our cars. They do the work at the dealership, which in Phoenix is a good thing if it's the middle of summer - work gets done indoors instead of in a parking lot somewhere in 114-degree heat. Worked out great - had the dealer order the OEM windshield, they scheduled the swap once it came in, had one brief phone call with the glass company & my insurance, who agreed to cover the OEM glass with zero out-of-pocket from me (VW glass is very reasonable compared to some OEMs - Toyota/Lexus I've heard is outrageously expensive), and they did an OUTSTANDING job replacing the glass and properly reinstalling the camera & sensors. All done on one dealership work order, no direct dealing with the glass company at all other than the insurance call. I highly recommend this route to anyone. The dealer is going to be using someone trustworthy and who gets familiar with VWs from being the dealership's go-to vendor. I should have done this in the first place instead of dealing with Safelite once. That was a Mongolian clusterfarkle in every respect.

I’m thinking of canceling my appt at safelite and going this route actually after thinking it over and reading this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I replaced my windshield twice last year through Safelite (i have AAA auto insurance) supported by a local vendor. Local vendor had mobile facility and they had the option of doing the work at home or in my office parking lot. First time i used an OEM replacement and the next time i used aftermarket replacement. Both time, they covered some of my deductible.

I was very happy with the experiences and i would use them again without a doubt.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I’m thinking of canceling my appt at safelite and going this route actually after thinking it over and reading this.

Call your service advisor or service manager and have a conversation about your concerns. Ask questions about who they use, how much work they do for them, and how long they've used them. I suspect that by the end of the call you'll be comfortable with the whole procedure.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

On the contrary, when it was replaced at the first dealership I used, it was a massive fail. They damaged (sliced and scratched) both black rubber trim pieces on the sides of the windshield and didn't bother to install them correctly after the fact, put a deep scratch on the a-pillar exterior, the windshield wasn't properly aligned, and I even found that one of my wiper blades was somehow sliced in the process.

They absolutely butchered my car.

I was FURIOUS because this was after the dealership themselves already caused more damage (millions of micro scratches all over the glass) to the original windshield trying to "clean" it of the embedded marks pictured below that came from the factory. I also caught them falsifying info as to what they told me had actually attempted vs what they had on the paperwork. They dicked around with this windshield for 2 weeks, then I caught them lying, and they gave me the car back unfixed and with more damage, and then they brought me back in for a replacement after which I found all of the damage I listed above. I contacted VWOA at that point. They sent me to another dealer to get the work all redone and the damage fixed. The service advisor at dealer #1 actually lost his job. It was their last straw with him as it was explained to me, so he had it coming. I didn't feel so bad because he'd just been telling me bald face lies throughout our interactions, which I documented him and called him out on. Service Director wasn't much better at the time but I don't think that guy is there anymore either now.

Sunnyvale VW for anyone wondering. Never go there for service.

Last edited:

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Call your service advisor or service manager and have a conversation about your concerns. Ask questions about who they use, how much work they do for them, and how long they've used them. I suspect that by the end of the call you'll be comfortable with the whole procedure.

Came here to post this. Your dealer's service department will use a good company, who won't leave them getting tons of phone calls from people complaining of shoddy work. Some dealers will do the work themselves; when I was with BMW, none of the local glass shops could do an E90 windscreen properly, so we bought the tools and started doing it ourselves. Insurance paid us $1200/job, because they had to.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
safelite did mine over the past summer and the broke the sensor for the rearview mirror once it came in they screwed that up and my sensing wipers dont work normally and ive been fighting with them since june/july...have a lawyer involved and everything