GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When is the REFRESHED 2018 Golf/GTI available stateside?

Kent1

I was waiting for the never-seemed-to-be-coming-stateside '18 GTI and R for awhile. I then stumbled upon a great deal (to me) for an outgoing '17 GTI CSM SE w/ DSG for $27k OTD. Paired with the amount I wanted to put down, I ended up with a monthly payment I would've felt stupid not to take and now have the car worth more than what I owe.

It really seems like VW are waiting for US dealers to clear existing inventory before even thinking about sending out info for the new ones. If they brought over the digital dash for the GTI's like they did in Europe, I would've waited.

I guess now i'll be waiting for the MK8's!

ubermick

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
Ah yes, the joys of paying for daycare in California. I was legitimately paying twice as much per month for a nanny as I did for an entire semester of in state tuition at ASU. Once I stopped paying for that it kind of put things in perspective that I could step it up a bit when purchasing my next car.
Yup, and that's just the daycare. Lob in the cost of health insurance and everything else, my daughter is costing us in and around $2,500 a month. On paper that halves when she stops going to daycare/preschool, but then other costs start appearing. It's swapping one pile of crap for another. And, of course, there's the cost of college looming down the road, which my work (I'm working for a non-profit college education association) is projecting at about $220k for a four year degree for a kid enrolling in 2033. (For tuition and books)

Anyways. Depending on what happens elsewhere, will try and buy rather than lease, but I know my wife will balk at the potential payments of $600+ a month.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I was waiting for the never-seemed-to-be-coming-stateside '18 GTI and R for awhile. I then stumbled upon a great deal (to me) for an outgoing '17 GTI CSM SE w/ DSG for $27k OTD. Paired with the amount I wanted to put down, I ended up with a monthly payment I would've felt stupid not to take and now have the car worth more than what I owe.

It really seems like VW are waiting for US dealers to clear existing inventory before even thinking about sending out info for the new ones. If they brought over the digital dash for the GTI's like they did in Europe, I would've waited.

I guess now i'll be waiting for the MK8's!

How much are you paying per month?

ubermick

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
I thought VW was offering 0% on remaining 2017s?

ubermick

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
Still better than the shite deals (if you can call them that) on the Golf R.

ubermick

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
No different then the rs. No reason to give deals on cars like that when there's almost none in the states

It's asinine from VWofA tho. It's not like the R is a limited production car. The 2018s are currently sitting on lots in Canada. When my buddy in Ireland bought his, there were three sitting on the lot at the dealer in Cork. The mothership is building them, there's no availability issues, it's just VWofA choosing to artificially make them a "collectible" here.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
It's asinine from VWofA tho. It's not like the R is a limited production car. The 2018s are currently sitting on lots in Canada. When my buddy in Ireland bought his, there were three sitting on the lot at the dealer in Cork. The mothership is building them, there's no availability issues, it's just VWofA choosing to artificially make them a "collectible" here.

It's all about supply and demand. Why put deals on something when it can still sell full price? R's have always been hard to come by in the states. If there's anyone to blame it vw and the states headbutting on everything

Kent1

Every New England VW dealer puts a $1k-$2k premium cost on top of the full MSRP of the R. They said they've never seen sales backed by VW on them. Every finance and incentive option has a footnote stating that the R is excluded from them.

*from what i've seen*

Johnpaul

Ready to race!

I often see Golf R's in Quebec. When I went to Germany in September I saw a more Golf R than I've ever seen in my entire life. They were literally every where! Oddly enough I didn't see very many GTIs

ubermick

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
Every New England VW dealer puts a $1k-$2k premium cost on top of the full MSRP of the R. They said they've never seen sales backed by VW on them. Every finance and incentive option has a footnote stating that the R is excluded from them.

*from what i've seen*

Yup, believe you 100%. The dealer I've spoken to has said the same thing - expect $2-5k more buying off the lot. A forumite here said the last remaining 2017 R in the Bay Area recently sold for $50k from a dealer in Hayward. There's a guy locally selling a used 2017 with about 10k miles for $40k. (Exact same specced car for sale used in Florida with half the miles, $36k)

The car ticks absolutely EVERY box for me in terms of what I'm looking for - performance, comfort, practicality - but there's no goddamn WAY I'd do that for one. Would much rather fly to a dealer elsewhere, buy from them, and spend the break-in period driving it home, enjoying a road trip.

I often see Golf R's in Quebec. When I went to Germany in September I saw a more Golf R than I've ever seen in my entire life. They were literally every where! Oddly enough I didn't see very many GTIs

Yep. Driving around in Ireland and the UK in my buddy's, we saw more Rs than GTIs for sure.

Better yet, VW was doing a crazy lease deal in the UK which basically GAVE Rs away. Think it was something ridiculous like you could lease one for 36 months with 0 down for £179 a month?

It's *ALL* VWofA that's causing the R nonsense here. Not the dealers, not the parent company. ALL VWofA. Am wondering if it's too close to the Audi A/S3 in price that it eats into Audi of America's margins?

Kent1

Yup, believe you 100%. The dealer I've spoken to has said the same thing - expect $2-5k more buying off the lot. A forumite here said the last remaining 2017 R in the Bay Area recently sold for $50k from a dealer in Hayward. There's a guy locally selling a used 2017 with about 10k miles for $40k. (Exact same specced car for sale used in Florida with half the miles, $36k)

The car ticks absolutely EVERY box for me in terms of what I'm looking for - performance, comfort, practicality - but there's no goddamn WAY I'd do that for one. Would much rather fly to a dealer elsewhere, buy from them, and spend the break-in period driving it home, enjoying a road trip.

I feel ya, man. I was on the same boat as you regarding the R and was upset about it after finding out about the ridiculous markup prices. I feel like you could get a better deal on an S3. My next car will hopefully be an RS3 - love the new stateside model.