'18 Golf R
Fresh track meats arrived

IMG_5717.jpeg

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
@bobloblawGTI
How are the 225 DWS06 tires on the factory 7.5" wheels in terms of actual width? Wider overall than the original tires? The factory 225/40 Hankooks cause the wheel face to stick out farther than the tire, and I'd like a little extra curb protection (for when other family members drive the car). I know some people put 235s on the factory wheels, but they're technically not rated for 7.5" rims, so I may have trouble getting a shop to mount them around here.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
@bobloblawGTI
How are the 225 DWS06 tires on the factory 7.5" wheels in terms of actual width? Wider overall than the original tires? The factory 225/40 Hankooks cause the wheel face to stick out farther than the tire, and I'd like a little extra curb protection (for when other family members drive the car). I know some people put 235s on the factory wheels, but they're technically not rated for 7.5" rims, so I may have trouble getting a shop to mount them around here.
I'd say they're about the same as the stock Bridgestones. Tire Rack specs says the DWS06 have 0.1" narrower tread width which seems negligible. I also was looking for some extra curb protection and was originally planning to go 235 but was talked out of it due to the 7.5" rims technically not being rated for it, as you mentioned. I imagine 235 would be fine (as most people online will say) but for $800 I figured better safe than sorry.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
Gotta' love that Carolina red clay!