GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty 101: Warranty and You - TD1, recalls, updates, Magnuson Moss, etc...

Dread

There's also no evidence it won't be. What else would it be? What if I get it done and do notice a loss of power, what then?

Got it done. I did notice a lessening of the grunt notes below 2.5k rpm while feeding it 1/2 pedal of gas. Can't say that I lost power or torque.

Nevertheless, fixing a hardware issue with software is always a compromise.

reemizzle

Ready to race!
Good read. Truly the pay to play scenario. I'm sure we've all heard of certain techs who come across a car, knowing that the tune didn't cause the problem, and pass it under warranty. But im sure the same day another tech saw the same problem and denied it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you install an intake and your turbo fails, they can deny your warranty claims.

If you install springs and your strut fails, they can deny your warranty.

With hard parts, they can only deny the warranty for the part that it directly affects. IE, a suspension mod is not going to void your powertrain warranty

If it changes the stock height or any other stock geometry they most certainly can!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If I make changes using OBDeleven, such as "Kencha Lights" modification and enabling "Traffic Sign Recognition" will this also flag TD1 or similar with Volkswagen ? or is this restricted to Tuning?

I know the Engine Module stores info for the engine. Don't know how the TCU module works. Ask the tuners and hope for an accurate answer.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
This is great! He is one of the techs at my dealership and one of the guys I recently spoke with about getting an APR tune. Leith VW in Cary, NC.

It's all good until they make a note in the file about your modification...another thing is on major repairs, blown turbo, it's VW not the dealership that will determine liability... Jb1 and intake for me, remove for dealer visits, until I'm outside of warranty coverage. I'm not rolling the dice with the good intentions of my dealer techs

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I did not purchase an extended Warranty when i bought the car-next year when the warranty expires, can I purchase an extended warranty from VW?

Yes

They might have discounted it when you originally bought the car, but you can still buy one.

See your dealer (they can sell it to you) or find a extended warranty company to buy from....like Fidelity.

DeNzAcK

So in terms of Polestar's ECU tune that is authorized and done by Volvo...has any company ever attempted this same way of legally tuning a car while maintaining the warranty for VW?
I just bought a '16 Golf R and have been searching the internet for a legal tune that I could get sometime next year, which doesn't seem to exist.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So in terms of Polestar's ECU tune that is authorized and done by Volvo...has any company ever attempted this same way of legally tuning a car while maintaining the warranty for VW?
I just bought a '16 Golf R and have been searching the internet for a legal tune that I could get sometime next year, which doesn't seem to exist.

No, VW is not associated with any tuner. If you are concerned about warranty you should get the JB1. So far it's undetectable by VW.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
No, VW is not associated with any tuner. If you are concerned about warranty you should get the JB1. So far it's undetectable by VW.
There was a quasi-official Audi tuner a while back, but they went belly up. Can't think of the name off the top. But yeah...JB1 ftw on warranty concerns.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

myke1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 SE DSG|19 STI WP
Yes

They might have discounted it when you originally bought the car, but you can still buy one.

See your dealer (they can sell it to you) or find a extended warranty company to buy from....like Fidelity.

Thanks. Lastly, i said it expires next year, I was referring to my basic 36,000 mile warranty. Can you clarify, am i covered for the 5 years 60,000? Powertrain warranty is engine, trans, turbo right? For example, my turbo needed to be replaced so that concerns me for the future...Do i not need to worry until 5 years or 60k from what i bought it?

thanks!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You can always buy a warranty, but it can be cheaper (sometimes) if you buy it before the factory warranty runs out.

Yes, you'll still have the powertrain warranty though after the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper ends