GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Golf R 2016 coolant system problem.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I have '16, and the only thing mine does is lose a little coolant once is a while. I keep it above the max line, just to where the seam starts. I also check the coolant pH once a year. Still the same as the as the full strength still in the jug. I think it was 7 on the scale. So, if it's not cloudy it's probably still good. I haven't changed coolant since...forever and never had an issue, even in zero-degree weather, even on 10-year-old cars. If I needed a water pump I'd put new coolant in instead of catching any filtering the old stuff just because it's easier.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
My '18 R seems fine as well though I DO get the smell of coolant all the time with no real loss of coolant.

Waterpump was replaced on my 2018 R at 30k miles. Still smelling coolant at 53K miles and level drops slowly over a year or so. Dealer looked at it again last week and said all is well. Told them it isn't because I should NOT be smelling coolant all the time.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Waterpump was replaced on my 2018 R at 30k miles. Still smelling coolant at 53K miles and level drops slowly over a year or so. Dealer looked at it again last week and said all is well. Told them it isn't because I should NOT be smelling coolant all the time.
I always wonder if there's a secret weep hole somewhere that drips out regularly. It's annoying when you smell coolant in your garage but see no liquid anywhere and the expansion tank is at the right level. WHERE IS IT COMING FROM? Car doesn't overheat so I guess it's OK. Until it isn't.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I always wonder if there's a secret weep hole somewhere that drips out regularly. It's annoying when you smell coolant in your garage but see no liquid anywhere and the expansion tank is at the right level. WHERE IS IT COMING FROM? Car doesn't overheat so I guess it's OK. Until it isn't.
Sorry if this is a bit basic: Virtually all modern cars have radiator overflow catch tanks with breather valves. When your coolant gets hot a valve open to let the expanded coolant and any trapped steam escape into the overflow catch tank--that tank, too, has a breather tube which vents out under the hood. The vapor escaping the overflow tank will smell like coolant, and eventually, cause a drop in the overflow tank level. If you park your car in a garage, you will be more likely to smell the vapor than if you park outdoors.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry if this is a bit basic: Virtually all modern cars have radiator overflow catch tanks with breather valves. When your coolant gets hot a valve open to let the expanded coolant and any trapped steam escape into the overflow catch tank--that tank, too, has a breather tube which vents out under the hood. The vapor escaping the overflow tank will smell like coolant, and eventually, cause a drop in the overflow tank level. If you park your car in a garage, you will be more likely to smell the vapor than if you park outdoors.
Never knew that.