GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

US MK7 Reliability & Quality

jtbazz1

Ready to race!
I know that the car has only been out for a few months in the US but can anyone speak to reliability yet. I assume some of you had a chance to rack up a few miles by now.

Also, how do you perceive the quality. I have to say I test drove the care yesterday and I am ready to trade in my 2013 drivers edition with only 4500 miles on it because I was blown away.

I have no concerns on the car being built in Mexico, I do however have concerns about the percentage of non German parts on the car. Less than 25% of the parts are German on the US models and according to the window sticker, I believe 36% of the parts were made in Mexico.

I only test drove the car, I need some feedback from some folks who have logged some time in the car before I pull the trigger.

Any help would be appreciated.

blueste

Ready to race!
11,000 miles. I had two issues right out of the gate. The driver's side mirror motor was bad and had to be replaced. The headlight AFS had a loose connection and just needed re-connected. FWIW it was a very early build. Had to be one of the first couple days or week of production- wasn't crazy about that, but oh well.

No issues since. Knock on wood. :) I really enjoy this car.

Last edited:

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
So far so good at just over 5k miles...

darkice1

Passed Driver's Ed
3000 km, 2 issues so far:
Gaz door frozen, the lock mechanism have been changed.
Second was worst, I've got a "Direction lock error, STOP", car won't start. Two days a the dealer, they changed the module for the electric direction.

Even with that I really enjoy the car!

Sent from my iPhone

carl s

Ready to race!
34k miles on the car. Had it a little over a month and when I got it I had a few warranty issues done which obviously didn't bother the last owner;

- New Fuel tank + filler due to restrictive fault when filling up
- Drivers door mechanism needed rebuilding & lubricating due to stiffness
- Engine sound dampener replaced (although I can't notice the difference myself)
- Minor trim fastenings missing from rear bumper (I suspect not the car's fault!)

The car has the rear suspension rattle that inflicted early cars, but it seems to be getting quieter the more I drive it. Just need to find the time to book it in for the rear shock replacement. In all honesty I think most of the faults were not the car's fault, I strongly suspect the last owner was a little heavy handed with the fuel restrictor and just broke it, and the trim missing was I suspect due to the people fitting the reversing sensors losing it !

it's been irritating to get fixed, but it's still a great car to drive :)

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
It is a new model, coming off a new line so we've got that against it.

However, I think that VW's are far more reliable than they were years ago.
I had my MK6 for four years and the only thing it ever needed was a battery.

I believe that VW has got a handle on all those little things that used to plague their cars, like window switches and regulators.
We'll see.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Focus on start up.

It is a new model, coming off a new line so we've got that against it.

However, I think that VW's are far more reliable than they were years ago.
I had my MK6 for four years and the only thing it ever needed was a battery.

I believe that VW has got a handle on all those little things that used to plague their cars, like window switches and regulators.
We'll see.

New car new line - more focus by management.
This is likely a good time to get a new car from Mexico after any early start up issues. It is very important the cars from this plant do well to insure future sales. Everyone in plant and many in Germany will be watching and checking for start up issues and stressing quality.:)

StrictlyWhiskey

2.5k miles. Some electronic gremlins every now and then. The infotainment seems to just randomly stop working at times when trying to play music and reads as an error. This is for CD and SD card, and it happens almost every day, but the system restarts and corrects itself fairly quickly (a minute or two).

I've had a few times where the power windows just straight up stopped working, but that was only on two occasions.

Recently there's been a constant creaking coming from the driver's side door. A little frustrated because this is the first time I've bought a brand new car, but I haven't at any moment regretted the purchase. Going to the dealership this week to get things sorted

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
New car new line - more focus by management.
This is likely a good time to get a new car from Mexico after any early start up issues. It is very important the cars from this plant do well to insure future sales. Everyone in plant and many in Germany will be watching and checking for start up issues and stressing quality.:)

I have heard such a thing.
That the early run is very closely monitored, and inspected - because they want to make sure those cars come out right.
Later on, they get lazy.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I have heard such a thing.
That the early run is very closely monitored, and inspected - because they want to make sure those cars come out right.
Later on, they get lazy.

I work in manufacturing. Not so much lazy as into a routine and then you are on to next big project. I know Mexico has not built DCC yet as I do not have a car, :mad:but Engineers are likely working on this to get ready when parts come in and might be working on projects like R production in Mexico. (Example, I do not know if actual). To compete in manufacturing you have to run lean and at times the projects out number the people.