GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trim my GTI for me

nellborg

Just decided that i wanted a stick shift as a second vehicle. Not sure how I ended up looking at the GTI...anyway, test drove a '17 autobahn and a '16 S the other day and, well, now I'd like to buy one. Trouble is - what to buy?

It would be a family vehicle, daily driver, winter car with winter wheels (Wisconsin). Not interested in modifying it or track days. The steep discounts on '17's is why I'm thinking of buying now.

I'm fortunate in that a few k's isn't that important as far as Trim level goes, but a good deal is very important. Leaning towards more options rather than less and VW's site isn't that helpful in telling me what the differences in Trims are.

So, price not so important, what do I want? DCC, Fender audio, adaptive cruise control, Performance package, leather interior? I'm assuming that these are all standard on the '17 Autobahn, and may or may not be options on the SE, correct? Any options that I don't want? I read that the DAP (driver assistance package) is bad but I assume that I can turn it off if I have it? Do I even want the Nav when I've got an iPhone?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just decided that i wanted a stick shift as a second vehicle. Not sure how I ended up looking at the GTI...anyway, test drove a '17 autobahn and a '16 S the other day and, well, now I'd like to buy one. Trouble is - what to buy?

It would be a family vehicle, daily driver, winter car with winter wheels (Wisconsin). Not interested in modifying it or track days. The steep discounts on '17's is why I'm thinking of buying now.

I'm fortunate in that a few k's isn't that important as far as Trim level goes, but a good deal is very important. Leaning towards more options rather than less and VW's site isn't that helpful in telling me what the differences in Trims are.

So, price not so important, what do I want? DCC, Fender audio, adaptive cruise control, Performance package, leather interior? I'm assuming that these are all standard on the '17 Autobahn, and may or may not be options on the SE, correct? Any options that I don't want? I read that the DAP (driver assistance package) is bad but I assume that I can turn it off if I have it? Do I even want the Nav when I've got an iPhone?

ACC will need an Autobahn or SE with DAP. Since SE with DAP was order only you won't find one of those. Can't get DCC on anything but Autobahn either so it looks like you want the Autobahn. Unlikely you will find an Autobahn with DAP anyways so nothing to avoid. Nothing further to decide except color.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Last edited:

Flippy

Ready to race!
Personally, The only reason I'd go Autobahn in a 2017 is for the DCC. You'll save a decent amount going with an SE unless you really want that feature and/or Nav, dual-climate control, & a fully powered driver seat.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
This isn't a big deal to everyone, but the Autobahn seats aren't just fully powered, they have a 4 way instead of 2 way lumbar. I found the Autobahn seats much more comfortable because I was able to get the lumbar just right. I would go sit in one. If you can't tell the difference, no big deal, but if you're like me, you'll want the Autobahn.

nellborg

Diggs24 - thanks, that's what I needed to know. Crazy, but not in a bad way, that there is so little to decide. Kept thinking that I must be missing something...

VJ123 - Nice info sheet. It's a bit rough on the eyes as it's posted. Can you post the link to it?

Oddspyke - I sat in a new autobahn and a cloth seat '16 S. The autobahn was far more comfortable for me.

Thanks

PlaidDad

Ready to race!
The sweet spot for pricing looks to be the SE, in northeast there are a ton of them on the lots. Some have the DAP, I think, though I can't say for sure. Not sure what will happen with the $1k buydown that expired today, but $6k off is easy to find.

Have to believe there will still be factory $ in play come November 1.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
I think VW pleather is shit. It will stretch out quickly and look like all these other peoples cars on YouTube. Get plaid cloth. They don't make anything higher than a base in cloth. Special order

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

nellborg

Or.... should I look for a '17 R and see if the dealer will swap out the 19" wheels and tires for 18's? People are paying MSRP for the R right now, correct?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'd suggest an S, base model.

You should be able to get one for 21k out the door. It's a great daily driver and well equipped. They money spent on higher packages is literally gone as soon as you drive off the lot.

Also, no point in the sport package if you're not gonna track or mod the car. Daily driving you'd never tell the difference vs non PP other than the performance package brake creating a TON of brake dust

Anything above the sport package has a sunroof and leather. Both of which Volkswagen isn't known for being so great with. There's a TSB out for sunroof leaks...very common

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I think VW pleather is shit. It will stretch out quickly and look like all these other peoples cars on YouTube. Get plaid cloth. They don't make anything higher than a base in cloth. Special order

The base and sport come with plaid cloth.

SE and Autobahn come leather.

No special order options, you get them as they come

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
You're right, its not an Audi. It's a VW. I opted for base and in 16 there was no "sport", all that flashy tech stuff is just likely to break down the road. Golf R... Might as well look at Audi S3 basically same car if you're wanting something nicer

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Or.... should I look for a '17 R and see if the dealer will swap out the 19" wheels and tires for 18's? People are paying MSRP for the R right now, correct?

There are only 20 Rs available in the whole country according to cars.com and not sure what kinda deals people are getting. And dealers will not swap 18" wheels during sale. You might be better off selling it in the forum.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
most of the car reviewers said the Sport was the way to go. I agreed with them. the keyless entry and upgraded lights are super nice for anyone. The trick front lsd is nice for someone that occasionally goes out and hoons.

I doubt you'll get a great deal on an R and unless racing or going faster on the street than you should I wouldn't bother.

Last edited: