GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Transmission Issues

Xminka

So I hope this is the correct place to post if not please let me know and I can restart the thread somewhere else but to the topic.

So I purchased a 2017 Golf Sport DSG around 4 or so months. I think my forth payment is actually coming up, and Ive got a little under 6k miles on the car. Well probably about 4 or so days ago I had an issue while driving home while in the DSG mode where the transmission felt like it went into neutral when trying to accelerate in 4th gear. I put it back into normal drive same thing felt as if in neutral so I coasted a second or two then started to slow down as I caught up to traffic and the throttle pinned wide open for around 2 seconds then, it went into what my coworker called "limp mode", basically it would not come out of first gear. The dash showed an emergency light and I had a reading saying something along the lines of "Engine in emergency mode no reverse gear". I got to the side of the road turned off the car turned it back on and the warning light had gone away. I slowly got back onto the road and everything seemed fine.

Well I'm not the most technically inclined so I got my father with me and we went out and could not find anything wrong with the car, but its under full warranty so I called the dealership explained the problem and set an appointment for them to check it out. Fast forward to today where I dropped the car off which I had driven 280 miles since this had happened and I get a call saying that the code they are getting means they have to replace the transmission because I dropped a gear. Like WTF Ive been driving for near 300 miles perfectly fine I even tried drove in DSG mode and know that all the gears were working?

So at the moment I will be calling back tomorrow because they said they have to reach out to VW....Headquarters I guess to see what to do further if replacing the transmission is actually what they should do.

And other info there are no mods on the car. I took it to the dealership I bought it from and I don't drive the car hard I bought it because it looks hella nicer than a civic and gets me a solid 30+mpg on my way to work, I don't race it or drive it hard.

Im just curious has anyone heard of this happening or had it happen to them, I haven't had any problems with the car I love it but this seems like something pretty major with a car only having 5.8k miles on it...

Anything would be nice just wanting to make sure the dealership is on the up and up thanks!

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, better this happens sooner than later. Good luck.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
If you had a VCDS you could have diagnosed it yourself first. How would anyone here know?

Wut? It's under warranty, why would you bother diagnosing it yourself? Not to mention the fact Diggs posted the most likely reason why. If he got a notification about the transmission on the dash that's pretty much a dead give away. He's just trying to make sure the dealer isn't pulling his leg about a transmission issue.

That being said I guess it's time to check the fill level of my DSG. I do about 2 DSG services a week and boy they are a pain in the ass until you get the rotation down.

Edit: Oh I get it, he is the only one with a 2017 DSG and the only person to ever complain about this issue, so how would dummies with no knowledge outside of what they read while on the shitter be able to help out. Totally pick up what little you are putting down. You should probably just stop posting because you embarrass yourself every time you do post. Although like every 10 to 20 posts you do actually say something correct or helpful. You do have an R so I'm sure you just don't give a shit about us GTI's.

2nd Edit: To add something to the conversation, they have to reach out to VWoA to see how VW wants to cover this issue. Replacing the unit with a rebuilt one or a brand new one. Since you are under warrenty it is VW themselves fronting the repair cost, not the dealership. So the dealership has to check and see what VW wants them to do, completely normal.

Last edited:

Xminka

2nd Edit: To add something to the conversation, they have to reach out to VWoA to see how VW wants to cover this issue. Replacing the unit with a rebuilt one or a brand new one. Since you are under warrenty it is VW themselves fronting the repair cost, not the dealership. So the dealership has to check and see what VW wants them to do, completely normal.

Thats exactly what they did took about 48 hours to get the answer and they decided to replace with a brand new trans. but apparently there are no 2017 DSG transmissions in the USA they are shipping one in from the motherland and will have a time estimate by tmrrw hopefully. And also finally picking up my loner car after them having the car for 3 days lol.

But seems to all be checking out now and the process started but I still never found anything online (didn't look super hard just one google search lol) about an official recall on the transmission so I will ask them tmrrw when I get my loner if that is the case or if it was just some random fault with mine.

Xminka

That being said I guess it's time to check the fill level of my DSG. I do about 2 DSG services a week and boy they are a pain in the ass until you get the rotation down.

Two services a week? What does that entail. I am new to DSG gear boxes and I know that they have a certain point when you need to have them checked and such but I thought that was like 20k or so maybe more?

Xminka

So this might be dead but figured id give an update just to let people know in case this may happen to someone else.

Got my loner car (2017 Jetta) had just under 3k miles so technically newer than my car. But also given more news on how long I can expect to be waiting on my car.

Well I got the info from my dad so it is third hand speaking but while i was getting stuff out of my car to put into the loner the service manager said it will be 4-6 weeks until they can get a transmission to america and then how ever long to install. The explanation of this is that the transmission is built Vin exclusive so they are having to build a new one per my vin number is what i took from that. Not sure if it that specific or something similar. But either way 4-6 weeks then install time. So possibly 2 months. One good thing to come of this is talking with VW Care and that if they hold my car for over a month they will pay that month (even though im not financed through them) and I didnt ask yet if they will pay per the week but that will come later. (Example if they hold it for 7 weeks will they pay a month and half basically) and they wont be paying it till I get the car back so I still have to pay while they hold it not until i get it back will i either A get money or B they will pay the bill not sure how it will work quite yet.

But yea they all seemed shocked on the issue with the DSG and seems like its all going smooth now on getting the problem fixed for the mean time I guess ill "enjoy" my jetta lol

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
Thanks for the update. As a DSG owner I pay attention to threads like this. Glad VW is taking care of you. And maybe since they claim they are building one just for you, they'll make sure it's done right!

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
As above, we like updates and hopefully happy results sounds yiu're geeting sorted as best Vw can, if a tad slowly. I always say this but: don't accept your own car back or sign zip unless 100% happy and keep the loan car - key firmly in pocket - until you are happy....

Xminka

So another update, Got a call on Wed. (8/2) from VW Care giving me an update saying the transmission is already here and they intend to install this coming week. The care person gave me an estimate of early in the week, when I called the dealership they said end if not beginning of next week so they might have been telling VW care a bit faster time just because but either way its cool that it is here a lot faster than they were expecting.

So for a recap I took my car in on 24th of September, got the news that it may need a new transmission same day, then on the 26th they got it confirmed from VW that it did need a new one and was told it had to be made and shipped in. They received the Transmission on 1st or 2nd of August and now looking at getting the car by 10th-15th. So over all glad it don't have to wait even longer.

Still perplexed how it happened so early into the cars life especially with how I drive (which is not hard on the car at all) but either way they are taking good care of me so far ill give a final update once I have the car back!

Xminka

Another Update time.....yayyyyyy

Okay so the car is done. Transmission is in the car, they test drove it all good to go so I went to get my car back on Wednesday 8/16. Well show up and (negative on the dealership) I show up the car is dirty like its been parked under a tree for the entire time its been there and never washed, the wheels are disgusting etc etc. So I went to complain and the service guy was shocked they didn't wash it so boom got that done, a quick detail. Well got it back started going over the car and sure enough passenger side door has a chip in the paint where it looks like someone hit it with another car door...So pointed that out and now the we set it up to get the car sent to a body shop to get the little spot touched up cool cool should get it back today....Welp called the dealership to ask about the car and the service guy I have been working with says he hasn't herd from them today he will call me back. So sure enough calls me back saying they are repainting the entire door and I won't have the car back till middle of next week so estimate 23rd or so....

Sigh I know at this point its the dealership fault but the customer service from the dealership has not been great to be honest. So yea that the update haha