GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track TEMP DATA: IC and radiator combo data collection - ALL YOUR LOGS ARE BELONG TO US!

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Just went back and looked.

Interesting that the crazy high coolant also corresponded with the highest avg boost

Just realized I forgot the way you log your boost is different than everyone elses (requires an additional formula to take MAP and subtract ambient air pressure). I left this out the last time I added yours. Essentially it was showing way higher than it should have. You'd be scattering some stuff if you were really running 37psi peak boost 🤣

But yes, your second sample while lower speeds overall - there was a bigger spread from min to max speeds obtained. There was higher TPS % and a bit higher average boost as well.

One thing I just thought of is adding a parameter for amount of time spent in boost (over the entire 200 sec snip). Technically if you toodled around the entire track under vacuum 95% of the time, then floored it only on a straight, it'll show as some ridiculously high boost # average due to the way it's filtered - which isn't really a true representation of how often it was really in boost over time. (if EVERYONE logged boost at the MAP sensor then that value could be used without the need to filter out < 0 psi data).

Updated so your last log should be accurate (as far as how it's been getting done goes).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17OmZvC_tlsmpFnLV45jxSy9Ocyry3ZaX/view

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Just went back and looked.

Interesting that the crazy high coolant also corresponded with the highest avg boost
boost is heat and most people with tunes are running their turbos way out of the efficiency range. for some reason (the average eqt customer's knowledge of compressor maps) even stage 1 IS38 EQT tunes run like 28-29 psi, which is kinda silly for track cars. unitronic runs an insane amount of timing for pump gas, but they keep boost super conservative, and folks like tigeo seem to have no problems (with a splash of ethanol).

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
boost is heat and most people with tunes are running their turbos way out of the efficiency range. for some reason (the average eqt customer's knowledge of compressor maps) even stage 1 IS38 EQT tunes run like 28-29 psi, which is kinda silly for track cars. unitronic runs an insane amount of timing for pump gas, but they keep boost super conservative, and folks like tigeo seem to have no problems (with a splash of ethanol).
Mine is pretty conservative.
IS38 22psi peak

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yep - run it that hard on straight 93 = limp mode. I have a video of limping at 80mph from this and doing a key off/on on the front straight at VIR on 93 b/c I ran out of E....added about 1/2 tank 100 and was good to go.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Yep - run it that hard on straight 93 = limp mode. I have a video of limping at 80mph from this and doing a key off/on on the front straight at VIR on 93 b/c I ran out of E....added about 1/2 tank 100 and was good to go.
that's still super sketchy 😬 what code does it throw when that happens?

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Mine is pretty conservative.
IS38 22psi peak

You're also driving and living in hell as far as ambient temps are concerned 🤣

I'm sure there's a correlation between really low speeds as well, like below 45mph where airflow is less.

If you do it enough: a piston. 🤣

tigeo

Autocross Champion
If it happens, it's mainly winter blend 93 so too much KR basically.....you get misfires so codes are misfire/hide cylinder typically. The ECU tries to run richer and richer to cool it but at some point it can't deliver the fuel volume when the ECU is requesting really rich/low lamda and it just taps out. It's not really sketchy.....hahahaha. KR > -4 sustained is what will usually do it which is the factory value as I understand it.

I just run 2.5 gal of E all the time...no drama.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
If it happens, it's mainly winter blend 93 so too much KR basically.....you get misfires so codes are misfire/hide cylinder typically. The ECU tries to run richer and richer to cool it but at some point it can't deliver the fuel volume when the ECU is requesting really rich/low lamda and it just taps out. It's not really sketchy.....hahahaha. KR > -4 sustained is what will usually do it which is the factory value as I understand it.

I just run 2.5 gal of E all the time...no drama.
KR > -4 means something a lot different on the stock ecu than that numbed to hell uni calibration. I'd be ok with occasional <= 4 deg of pull on the street, I don't like seeing over a degree or two on track. you're working with a lot less headroom for that random batch of poor fuel, especially if you're using pump ethanol.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
KR > -4 means something a lot different on the stock ecu than that numbed to hell uni calibration. I'd be ok with occasional <= 4 deg of pull on the street, I don't like seeing over a degree or two on track. you're working with a lot less headroom for that random batch of poor fuel, especially if you're using pump ethanol.
What is "numbed to hell"? Knock sensors?

I've got some logs from my tune on the track you can see...looks fine to me. Here's a lap around Dominion. Soime minor KR here and there it was 90 out and you can see my IATs were a bit high....in cooler weather this fall at VIR I'm curious to see how the logs look...my car rips man.

https://datazap.me/u/karstgeo72/simostools1laplog08242023dominion?log=0&data=6-14-29-30-31-32

scrllock

Autocross Champion
here and there? it's pulling timing almost every other time you hit the throttle, lol. there's no way they run 13deg up top on e30 without turning the knock sensitivity down. I get occasionally -1.5 or so on full e85 with that much timing and lower compression. I'm sure it rips, it's super aggressive, lol.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
What @scrllock is trying to say is that it doesn't matter how much timing is being "shown" as being pulled - because when the sensors are numbed it just plain won't detect it to make a correction.

Minor KR with heavily numbed sensors is in reality [likely] major KR with closer to stock or more conservatively numbed sensors. This specifically is why I wanted to tune the car myself - you just don't know unless you're able to log ALL of the knock values (the noise floor, the threshold, and range). All are not available in Mode 22 as far as I know.

1694715886283.png

scrllock

Autocross Champion
What @scrllock is trying to say is that it doesn't matter how much timing is being "shown" as being pulled - because when the sensors are numbed it just plain won't detect it to make a correction.

Minor KR with heavily numbed sensors is in reality [likely] major KR with closer to stock or more conservatively numbed sensors. This specifically is why I wanted to tune the car myself - you just don't know unless you're able to log ALL of the knock values (the noise floor, the threshold, and range). All are not available in Mode 22 as far as I know.

View attachment 290632
yep, this. maybe 1.8s are magic, but my educated guess is that's >= 6deg of KR on normal thresholds. If it works with some e30, great, but I wouldn't want to be behind the car when the pump e85 was half-water that day. I've heard uni disables the catalyst code on their stage 1 tunes, is that right? I'd really consider turning it down to their 91 tune if they offer one.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

View attachment 290632
Ok yes, I understand. We don't really know what any of the tuners are doing w/r to this beyond internet rumors that I have read...I know folks were always saying that tuner X or Y numbed them down.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
yep, this. maybe 1.8s are magic, but my educated guess is that's >= 6deg of KR on normal thresholds. If it works with some e30, great, but I wouldn't want to be behind the car when the pump e85 was half-water that day. I've heard uni disables the catalyst code on their stage 1 tunes, is that right? I'd really consider turning it down to their 91 tune if they offer one.
My car in colder weather doing a third gear pull to redline will typically show no KR or a minor blip and can get upwards of 14.5 degrees of advance at redline running E22; that boost peaking at 21.5-ish tapering down to 18.5-ish. E30 is really too much with the 38 w/r to the fuelling system, I used to run E30 on the 20 when I was trying to get really good drag runs. Uni actually shows the IS38 tune as being for 93/E20 which is interesting - tells me that their calibration was done with really good 94 up there in Canada. I believe on stage 1 they do not mess with the cat codes except on the DP files they do; I could be wrong/never looked when I had the stage 1 file. I've been beating the shit out of this car for almost 5 years on their tunes and see no reason to flash down to the 91 tune. But to your point yes, the 91 tune does back down the timing a little in the logs I saw of someone that did it at one point and so if I was only going to/could run 93 pump for track/drag/hooning use, yes, I would flash it down for sure based on my experience especially once the winter fuel hits (I have the 91 tune).

I guess in the end I just don't have the KR concerns that many in this community have or the concern that companies like Unitronic that spend a huge amount of money and time with their calibrations produce dangerous tunes. My car produces consistent power without much drama if I have good fuel which I control and if not, the ECU handles it through it's own safety measures. I wouldn't fill up with 93 and track it not b/c I think it's dangerous or I think it's going to damage it, but because it hinders my good time with inconsistent power/limp/etc. It's an easy thing to manage. Also what's funny is that Uni always got the stigma of being "way conservative and slo bro" but of course the kids are looking at boost only haha...this one on the 1.8 is pretty spicy....I mean it nabbed a 12.1 @ 113.4 which is pretty strong and I think is the quickest/fastest OTS IS38 1/4 mile I've seen....but maybe that's b/c it's ready to blow a hole in my pistons AHAHAHAHA

scrllock

Autocross Champion
My car in colder weather doing a third gear pull to redline will typically show no KR or a minor blip and can get upwards of 14.5 degrees of advance at redline running E22; that boost peaking at 21.5-ish tapering down to 18.5-ish. E30 is really too much with the 38 w/r to the fuelling system, I used to run E30 on the 20 when I was trying to get really good drag runs. Uni actually shows the IS38 tune as being for 93/E20 which is interesting - tells me that their calibration was done with really good 94 up there in Canada. I believe on stage 1 they do not mess with the cat codes except on the DP files they do; I could be wrong/never looked when I had the stage 1 file. I've been beating the shit out of this car for almost 5 years on their tunes and see no reason to flash down to the 91 tune. But to your point yes, the 91 tune does back down the timing a little in the logs I saw of someone that did it at one point and so if I was only going to/could run 93 pump for track/drag/hooning use, yes, I would flash it down for sure based on my experience especially once the winter fuel hits (I have the 91 tune).

I guess in the end I just don't have the KR concerns that many in this community have or the concern that companies like Unitronic that spend a huge amount of money and time with their calibrations produce dangerous tunes. My car produces consistent power without much drama if I have good fuel which I control and if not, the ECU handles it through it's own safety measures. I wouldn't fill up with 93 and track it not b/c I think it's dangerous or I think it's going to damage it, but because it hinders my good time with inconsistent power/limp/etc. It's an easy thing to manage. Also what's funny is that Uni always got the stigma of being "way conservative and slo bro" but of course the kids are looking at boost only haha...this one on the 1.8 is pretty spicy....I mean it nabbed a 12.1 @ 113.4 which is pretty strong and I think is the quickest/fastest OTS IS38 1/4 mile I've seen....but maybe that's b/c it's ready to blow a hole in my pistons AHAHAHAHA
that's interesting about their 93 being e20, helps their numbers make some sense. how many of their tunes can you see in uniconnect?

I believe they spend a huge amount of time on their 2.5T files. I get the impression they gave their simos18 work to an intern and 99.9% of people don't track their cars, so it's really hard to find good relevant info besides what I see in your logs.