GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ticking noise from front when turning

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Are they doing this under warranty? I'm 99% it's the bearings making my noise.

Yes, they are doing this under warranty, they even asked me if I would like to change both (!!!). The mechanic checked for play in the wheel but there was none. He said it's unlikely for the noise to be the bearing, but they're going to change them anyway to erase this as a possible cause.
Of course I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Update:
I just got the car back with both front wheel bearings replaced. It's early to say positively, but all kind of noises are gone. Even in the ramp of my parking spot it was silent. I hope that's the resolution of the problem.
Side note: I had the oil of the VAQ replaced too. My car is hitting the 3 year mark in 3 months, so I made the decision to do it with the oil change (I'm at 70000km now). It's better for the little disks to do their work in new oil than the old one, with particles of friction materials. Of course they'll last longer and perform better along with lower operating temperature.
I'll keep you updated if anything occurs.

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
Update:
I just got the car back with both front wheel bearings replaced. It's early to say positively, but all kind of noises are gone. Even in the ramp of my parking spot it was silent. I hope that's the resolution of the problem.
Side note: I had the oil of the VAQ replaced too. My car is hitting the 3 year mark in 3 months, so I made the decision to do it with the oil change (I'm at 70000km now). It's better for the little disks to do their work in new oil than the old one, with particles of friction materials. Of course they'll last longer and perform better along with lower operating temperature.
I'll keep you updated if anything occurs.

thanks for the update. my 15 gti is making the same single tick whenever i turn the wheel to the right. techs couldn't find anything, so maybe it's my wheel bearings too...

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
https://vimeo.com/188204266

Does it sound anything like the last couple seconds of this video, when i'm returning the wheel to the straightened position after angling out of my driveway??

no, it's more of a metallic tick or click. and it's literally just a single tick. i've never heard more than one at a time. but it's there every time i turn the wheel maybe a 1/4 of a turn or less after it's been centered. it only does it when i'm on the throttle, too. no noises when i'm stationary, or if i'm coasting or braking.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
no, it's more of a metallic tick or click. and it's literally just a single tick. i've never heard more than one at a time. but it's there every time i turn the wheel maybe a 1/4 of a turn or less after it's been centered. it only does it when i'm on the throttle, too. no noises when i'm stationary, or if i'm coasting or braking.

In my car it started as a light click or tick or whatever when I started moving with the wheels in some angle (out of a parking spot, in a junction etc.). It's been approximately for a year and I started thinking it could be something in the transmission system that was engaging. It didn't hear as something bad going on. Fast forward a year and it sounded pretty bad in any turn and any speed (always with the windows down, as with them closed I couldn't hear anything). Big thanks to the poster above who mentioned changing lower arms and bearings, he was a big help.

_Blade)

Passed Driver's Ed
My car has the exact same ticking noise on the front left wheel as in the video posted by Nick and is very audible when turning to the right .I see that this as a year old,but after front wheel bearing replacement is it everything still working properly?

_Blade)

Passed Driver's Ed
An item to consider if it is not wheel bearing. Spring bearing.
Does sound come when parked and turning?
If so how is it wheel bearing?
Even when new I can hear spring bearing at very low speed turns.
I only hear when parked and turning or very low speed turns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I changed the spring bearing about 7k ago together with the shock absorbers. There is no noise when turning the wheel either direction when parked. The ticking is consistent with will turn. One tick per wheel turn.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I got the same thing on my Pro-Kits too, Sandman

Do you think the Eibach springs are issue?
I think more the spring bearing design.
I have an idea for a trial bearing design but no way to make.
It would involve trying a flat shaped roller spring bearing Eibach makes.
Then 3D scan the OE spring bearing.
3D print the part minus room for the Eibach flat bearing.

Just wonder how it would perform and hold up.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I had some clicking on my suspension, also with Eibachs, turned out my strut nuts were walking off. I had torqued them to spec on a wall mounted spring compressor too... Go figure. Shit roads I guess.

A little blue loctite and a torque wrench with the schwaben strut nut socket solved my problem. Was able to do it right through the strut tower too.

Probably not going to solve most of the issues here, but it's worth checking.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Do you think the Eibach springs are issue?
I think more the spring bearing design.
I have an idea for a trial bearing design but no way to make.
It would involve trying a flat shaped roller spring bearing Eibach makes.
Then 3D scan the OE spring bearing.
3D print the part minus room for the Eibach flat bearing.

Just wonder how it would perform and hold up.

That's what I'm wondering. Mine seems to be worse the hotter it is. I am planning on taking a good hard look at everything when I take my spacers off for service in the next couple months.