GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ticking noise from front when turning

Elias623

So for about a month now I've started to experience a ticking noise when turning at low speeds (below 20mph). I took it to VW they thought it was the pass endlink (did have play in it) they replaced it. Just to be sure they asked me to drive the car. It was still was making noise. We tried something different. When applying medium pressure on the brakes and turning the noise disappeared. They then determined that it was "normal brake noise" and suggested that if I didn't want to wait (it was towards end of day Sat before Labor Day weekend) to clean the brakes. So today I disassembled the front calipers cleaned the sliders that the pad slides on and the backing of the pads as well. Put it all back together drove it still makes the same noise! I'm at a loss at this point . Has anyone else had this happen to them or suggest I try something else?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
A video might help us help you. I know my front driver side strut mount/bearing needs replacement bc it sounds narsty when i turn the wheel all the way left, and the car pulls to the left, and i've had the front driver side ball joint replaced as well

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Yep I have it pretty bad, not just when turning though but turning makes it worse. I'm thinking it is either wheel bearings, CV or the steering rack... FYI I have a BBK and it is not my brakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HshOj0L12jU

I have the same exact symptom from the driver's side only (left). If it exists on the other I'm not able to hear it. I changed the steering rack under warranty. After two weeks it reappeared.
There are two scenarios.
a) It's not related with the steering rack, but something got tied well after the installation of it and stopped it.
b) Something leads to premature wearing or the rack. I asked my mechanic and he said that it's impossible for a new rack to fail in two weeks.
Tomorrow I'm having my clutch replaced with a Sacks Performance SRE (not at the dealer's place). The mechanic who will perform the installation (he's pretty good) is considering the dust shield as the root of the noise. I don't think so, but we'll see... At the same time I'll be replacing the strut mount and the adapter bearing of the Öhlins. I'll throw in the dead set kit from CTS, as the subframe will be loosened. I'll let you know the results.

Edit: the bearing has a different noise but who knows?
which CVJ are you reffering to?

Last edited:

nikhsub1

What?
I have the same exact symptom from the driver's side only (left). If it exists on the other I'm not able to hear it. I changed the steering rack under warranty. After two weeks it reappeared.
There are two scenarios.
a) It's not related with the steering rack, but something got tied well after the installation of it and stopped it.
b) Something leads to premature wearing or the rack. I asked my mechanic and he said that it's impossible for a new rack to fail in two weeks.
Tomorrow I'm having my clutch replaced with a Sacks Performance SRE (not at the dealer's place). The mechanic who will perform the installation (he's pretty good) is considering the dust shield as the root of the noise. I don't think so, but we'll see... At the same time I'll be replacing the strut mount and the adapter bearing of the Öhlins. I'll throw in the dead set kit from CTS, as the subframe will be loosened. I'll let you know the results.

Edit: the bearing has a different noise but who knows?
which CVJ are you reffering to?

Well, it isn't the dust shields on my car since I have none :) It isn't strut mounts since I've swapped those too. I also have the deadset kit so that won't fix it... Maybe the axle?

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Well, it isn't the dust shields on my car since I have none :) It isn't strut mounts since I've swapped those too. I also have the deadset kit so that won't fix it... Maybe the axle?

Wouldn't we have severe vibration and lack of stability if it where the axle? I think it's one CVJ going bad. But which one? We have two right after the gearbox and other two near the wheels.

DanJoy

Ready to race!
I had a clicking sound when pulling into parking spots when it was bone stock and under 1000 miles also. VWR springs on now and it's still there. I only notice it when the windows down and I'm hanging out the window trying to get close to curbs without rubbing.

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
have a similar single tick when turning right in my gti.

demonstrated the noise to a service technician during my 20k mile service and he acknowledged it so we took it back into to garage. checked everything he could think of checking and found nothing so we put it up on the lift they use for alignment so they could turn the wheel back and forth while looking underneath the car.

interestingly, when another tech applied some pressure to the dust shield while the wheel was turning back and forth, the noise stopped!

all tires are wearing evenly, and i've never had any vibrations or other noises that would indicate something is off in the suspension/cv joints/hubs/bearings etc so they felt confident it wasn't anything to worry about. i guess if it gets worse it will be easier to diagnose...

tkoo

had the ticking noise on mine as well - got new wheel bearings under warranty and it solved the problem. Dealer started w/ lower arm joints but it didn't solve the problem. <36K you're still covered, take it in.

Elias623

had the ticking noise on mine as well - got new wheel bearings under warranty and it solved the problem. Dealer started w/ lower arm joints but it didn't solve the problem. <36K you're still covered, take it in.

Well car Is at the dealer now so I'll keep everyone posted. Also have another friend with the same issue on his R

Elias623

I hate this dealer (so much!!!). So went in for my 10k service, tire losing air and the ticking noise. First 2 were completed but for the 3rd I get a phone call 1. We don't want to touch the car because it's modified (although they claim to be an Apr dealer and are "mod friendly"). Apparently silicone hoses, an ecs skidplate, and a rsb constitutes as the front end making noise and both subframe being loose -_0, and 2 even after showing them the video of the ticking noise they said they can't find the noise......... Also this is the 2nd dealer and 2nd time I've left with the noise not remedied!

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
I had the dealership order both front wheel bearings today. I'm waiting them to arrive from Germany. I hope that it'll solve the problem. I've showed them this thread and they told me that the noise does not indicate such a thing, but we'll give them a try since they can't figure out anything about this problem. They just told me that the bearings in this vehicle are "closed type" (cannot be opened?) and they cannot see if they are the source of the ticking noise. Started praying...

nikhsub1

What?
I had the dealership order both front wheel bearings today. I'm waiting them to arrive from Germany. I hope that it'll solve the problem. I've showed them this thread and they told me that the noise does not indicate such a thing, but we'll give them a try since they can't figure out anything about this problem. They just told me that the bearings in this vehicle are "closed type" (cannot be opened?) and they cannot see if they are the source of the ticking noise. Started praying...

Are they doing this under warranty? I'm 99% it's the bearings making my noise.