GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thule Aeroblade 53" Bar Overhang (or any roof rack's where the bars hang over)

slow12s

Ready to race!
For those of you with this style roof rack, if you have children, have you ever banged your head after buckling your kid into their car seat? I'm trying to decide on roof rack's, I'm not a huge fan of the way the OEM one looks, the whispbars would be my choice, but can't open the sunroof with anything mounted on them so looking at Thule...from what I've read, the 47" bars do not fit on the MK7 and we need to go with the 53"...the front is also wider than the back so the back is going to stick out a little bit further

so anyone hit their heads on these types of roof racks when putting your kids in the back seat?

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
For those of you with this style roof rack, if you have children, have you ever banged your head after buckling your kid into their car seat? I'm trying to decide on roof rack's, I'm not a huge fan of the way the OEM one looks, the whispbars would be my choice, but can't open the sunroof with anything mounted on them so looking at Thule...from what I've read, the 47" bars do not fit on the MK7 and we need to go with the 53"...the front is also wider than the back so the back is going to stick out a little bit further

so anyone hit their heads on these types of roof racks when putting your kids in the back seat?

Never a single problem with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slow12s

Ready to race!
You can chop them down for a perfect fit. I did on an Audi I had.

I keep hearing different things about this for the aeroblades...this was true for the previous model, but because of the way they're notched it would be quite a bit more work from what I've read...did you have the aeroblades that you cut down or a different model?

slow12s

Ready to race!

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Shit, I hit my head my head just getting into the driver's seat. I run the Yakima jetstreams, so similar concept.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
the whispbars would be my choice

I mentioned in the ebay thread I bought the rhinoracks, very similar design to whispbars, after reading stealthgti's review.

I was actually going to pick up a set of Whispbars from a guy at work for $200, but I found out Whispbar was shut down by Yakima, and while you can find a bunch of different mounts for the bars, you can't find the ones for the MK7 anywhere. I looked at or called over 30 sites/stores.

When I contacted Yakima they said they sold all remaining Whispbar stock to rerack.com, who also does not have them.

slow12s

Ready to race!
I mentioned in the ebay thread I bought the rhinoracks, very similar design to whispbars, after reading stealthgti's review.

I was actually going to pick up a set of Whispbars from a guy at work for $200, but I found out Whispbar was shut down by Yakima, and while you can find a bunch of different mounts for the bars, you can't find the ones for the MK7 anywhere. I looked at or called over 30 sites/stores.

When I contacted Yakima they said they sold all remaining Whispbar stock to rerack.com, who also does not have them.

Do you happen to know how the clearance/height of the rhino rack compares to the OEM bars? That's my main gripe with the OEM bars...I don't need the width of the Thule bars to take bikes along with the cargo box or anything, the OEM width is fine, I just don't find the height to be visually appealing (which is why I like the whispbars so much)...have you had the chance to pull up next to a car with OEM rails to compare? Thanks!

Celery Man

Yep, I had the ARB53 Thules and sold them locally after hitting my head a couple of times just getting out of the driver's seat! Bought a pair of Whispbars and no longer have to worry about it.

slow12s

Ready to race!
Yep, I had the ARB53 Thules and sold them locally after hitting my head a couple of times just getting out of the driver's seat! Bought a pair of Whispbars and no longer have to worry about it.

damn man, making this decision difficult lol...not a lot of options out there and the whispbars don't seem like they can have a cargo box on them and allow the sunroof to open (I hear there's like a 1cm of clearance without a box), but thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for...seemed like they stuck out a little far, but I'm sure it's just how each person gets out of the car

slow12s

Ready to race!

any chance you know the height differences between the rhino rack and oem?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

slow12s

Ready to race!