GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The WAY OFF TOPIC thread

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
What is the CC? Good looking car but I know nothing about it. Where does it fit in the lineup?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
VW Beetle .. Passat.. CC all good choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beetle: my gf said she doesn't wanna be mistaken for being a college sorority girl lol

Passat: still big b/c it's the size of the camry

CC: yeah idk much about the CC either. I know it's like the coupe version of the Passat, but that's it

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
CC is too expensive anyways. Idk how the Beetle is a sorority girl car, I honestly barely see them driven anymore ... it’s not like the old style new beetle... the Ford Fusion is pretty nice. I mean the golf isn’t really small either in 4 door. Tell her to get a Wolfsburg edition golf it’s the bomb. And do the IS38 swap lol

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
What is the CC? Good looking car but I know nothing about it. Where does it fit in the lineup?

Audi Lightweight. It’s supposed to be the top of the line luxury VW coupe

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
CC is too expensive anyways. Idk how the Beetle is a sorority girl car, I honestly barely see them driven anymore ... it’s not like the old style new beetle... the Ford Fusion is pretty nice. I mean the golf isn’t really small either in 4 door. Tell her to get a Wolfsburg edition golf it’s the bomb. And do the IS38 swap lol

LOL idk man, we graduated college here in socal 2 years ago, and the sorority houses by our campus had a bunch of beetles with the flower pattern on the tail lights throughout our 4 years living nearby

Well the Golf is relatively small. It's like 2' shorter than the boat of a camry.

I mentioned the Miata, and her mom said if we go that route, she'd rather get herself the Miata than take my gf's camry lol

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The CC was built with the underpinnings of the (2006-2010) B6 Passat underneath, but with different/stylish sheet metal on top

It's the same 2.0T TSI that was in the 2008.5+ MK5 & the MK6 GTI's and the Tiguan, etc. (same engine mods)
2009 had a traditional automatic with the 2.0T, while 2010+ had a DSG paired with it
It was up until 2015 or 2016 (?) that you could get a manual trans too.

In the highest trims, you could get the 3.6 V6 with an automatic & 4motion. FWD with the 3.6 was rarer and offered in limited years.

It's a nice/solid car, but the weak point is the TSI engine and it's known issues. If you keep up on the maintenance though, it shouldn't be an issue.

Kinda pricey new, but VERY nice inside for the money...while being unique.
Their values, used, have plummeted though

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The problem is that the timing chain tensioner needs to be changed (ASAP) if it wasn't done already. If they let go, the engine is done.
VW updated the part in 2013+ (or something like that), but the early ones are ticking time bombs on borrowed time in the ~100k mile range

I saw this CC R-line (has the body kit) near me for a good price for example:
https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/d/2012-volkswagen-cc/6328529287.html

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
No matter what you say, she's going to end up with a Toyota.
Recommend the iM. Essentially a Corolla I.e. Super reliable and cheap to fix, that looks better, has more utility (it's a hatchback) and you can get it in manual.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
So the dude tells me, in bad English, “every time I buy a car I do the smog”

Which is the backwards way of how it’s supposed to go. At best, you’re out $60-80 for the smog test. At worst it has problems that keep you from passing smog. Definitely not worth the hassle for 3k.... you can legally sue the seller for any costs related to making the car smog legal in small claims but good luck getting the money lol..

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
No matter what you say, she's going to end up with a Toyota.
Recommend the iM. Essentially a Corolla I.e. Super reliable and cheap to fix, that looks better, has more utility (it's a hatchback) and you can get it in manual.

Lol funny you say that b/c her dad is literally a Toyota fanboy, and he wouldn't mind the iM or the new CHR, which looks like an awful civic crossover. Her mom, on the other hand, is the one into cars and refuses to get a corolla or similar. We'll see, though.

So the dude tells me, in bad English, “every time I buy a car I do the smog”
Excellent salesman right there lol 10/10 would buy

What about a FRS/BRZ Toybaru AE86
Yeah I thought about that after I mentioned the Miata. My gf and I sat in one at the nearby Toyota dealership a few months ago, and I felt juuuust a little cramped in there.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone. We'll see when we can test drive some cars and figure out which she likes. Still hoping she goes for a golf or gti since I learned a lot about them through these forums already.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk