GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The official "Post your deal!!!" thread

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
You left off the state tax.

What I "actually paid" was my down payment, not what you stated above. If you want to calculate the actual cost of the vehicle, you would need to add in the cost of financing and other accessories, along with the taxes.

The MSRP, which is typically used as a comparison number, does not include freight, which varies. As I mentioned, I state the $20,635 price to boast my own ego, not to be helpful to others :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We'd all prefer everyone left off all taxes because yes, they vary.
Yes, getting financing info is also great. I believe I've posted before what all should be included. People just choose to highlight the good and mask the bad I guess.

MSRP does include destination. Not sure why you think otherwise. No, it doesn't vary. It's $820.

Perhaps we should start a thread that is helpful for others to negotiate from rather than claiming great deals and cutting out the unsavory bits we couldn't negotiate away. The spirit of the thread wasn't to boast but to inform, but I digress.....

tkchan19

Passed Driver's Ed
We'd all prefer everyone left off all taxes because yes, they vary.
Yes, getting financing info is also great. I believe I've posted before what all should be included. People just choose to highlight the good and mask the bad I guess.

MSRP does include destination. Not sure why you think otherwise. No, it doesn't vary. It's $820.

Perhaps we should start a thread that is helpful for others to negotiate from rather than claiming great deals and cutting out the unsavory bits we couldn't negotiate away. The spirit of the thread wasn't to boast but to inform, but I digress.....

You're right, freight is fixed; I'm not sure why I said that. However, if you look at the sticker price in the image above, the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of $27,090 does not include the $820 freight.

AKF427

Ready to race!
Destination Fee is always $820 non-negotiable. I'm skeptical of Dealerships that don't include Destination when advertising a car upon the "Interwebnet". I understand the rationale, bury it in the "fine print", and the price "appears" to be nearly $1,000 less than other Dealerships, thus when a "low cost to high cost" search is performed, the results will be skewed towards the cars that don't include Destination. That's a bit too "stupid tactical" for my buyer confidence. Destination is a "sunk cost", it's been paid in full before you step foot on the lot, and you must pay for it when purchasing.

The only Dealership in the World where it should be $0.00 or totally negotiable would be this one, for obvious reasons: http://www.vwrivera.com.mx/

As for the Dealership Fee's, the fact that they're not uniform indicates a need for YOU the buyer to demand justification. I was exposed to a $250-$495 "range". I asked the $495 Dealership for an itemized print out for their "Fee's" & I gave them 5 minutes. If the charge is $495, you must possess an exacting break-down because---as I told them---"Outside of the 'car world' who would ever pay a $500 fee without knowing precisely what they're paying for...especially when a Dealer 25 minutes away is charging $250 for what is termed the identical fee?" Basically you're placing the burden-of-substantiating a cost, we all pay like cattle going to slaughter, upon the Dealer. My advise? The more absolute & demanding the Dealer is in regards to the Dealer Fee being "untouchable", the more flippant and dismissive YOU should be of the Fee....everything is negotiable when buying a car...you should know the tags/reg/title fee & the destination fee before stepping foot into a showroom, both are "sunk costs"--they MUST be paid. However the trick is to dig into the SELLING PRICE of the car prior to the addition of these sunk-costs. The Dealership Fee? Tell them to take a "haircut" so as to get it aligned with the lowest you've been quoted, and lop the difference off the SELLING Price...bingo...you've just buried the $250 difference, and they can charge you the full-on $500 if that is what they demand.

I have to agree with Diggs24...not including Destination when quoting "YOUR DEAL" doesn't make sense...if we have a GTI in our driveway/garage, we all paid that sunk-cost so no reason to hide it...unless you live in Pueblo Mexico & didn't have to pay it.

One interesting point...I bought a 2016 BMW about a year ago...however I ordered it, and they took the full 12 weeks to deliver. The Dealer didn't charge me a fee of any kind, and was transparent about why. They told me that selling a BMW "wagon" was nearly impossible, yet no difference exists---to the Dealership---in regards to the Manufacturer if it is one they had on the lot or was ordered. In other words, they got "credit" for selling a wagon, and that credit translated into BMW NA being more willing to "ration" high demand models like M2's to that specific Dealer. Additionally, from a "statistic" perspective...it was "free money" for the Dealer since the car had a buyer before it was even placed into production, and once it hit the lot, it was off the lot within 2 days and sold. I'd be curious to know if VW, which sells on much higher volumes does likewise? When I got my 2016 GTI S for $22,341 "in the driveway" (they sent me a check for $1.25 back for DMV fees)...I was told that on a volume basis, it simply helped for them to get far more desirable margin vehicles like Golf R's. Ohh...and for accessories, it has a trunk liner, first aide kit, and "monster mats", yet I wasn't charged for any of them...they were simply in the hatch when I opened it at the Dealer, and they could care less...which kinda gives you an idea about "value" and VW accessories (Exception being Rims).

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
You're right, freight is fixed; I'm not sure why I said that. However, if you look at the sticker price in the image above, the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of $27,090 does not include the $820 freight.

When we talk about price of the car we talk about the window sticker. That includes destination. We use this so we can gauge our deals accurately.

wantone

Ready to race!
The only Dealership in the World where it should be $0.00 or totally negotiable would be this one, for obvious reasons: http://www.vwrivera.com.mx/

Probably a $15,500 destination charge there too. That's easy money for them. Even if the plant is in your backyard. Do the US dealers in Michigan charge destination? Nuff said.

On a side note, unless I'm mistaken, there is no 2 door GTI available in Mexico. I find that interesting. Also, no manual. Their blue looks different on their webpage, though it's probably the same. They have an additional silver color that we don't have. Would love to see it in person.

tkchan19

Passed Driver's Ed
When we talk about price of the car we talk about the window sticker. That includes destination. We use this so we can gauge our deals accurately.

Glad we are in agreement that the total price on the window sticker includes freight/destination and MSRP does not :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top40guy

Bought back in late August a 2016 GTI SE 4 door DSG with LP, Rubber mats and Roadside assit kit.

$31,820 MSRP
$26,199- Price before TTL

Price breakdown
$26,000- Selling price
$(500)- VW partner Discount
$599- Dealer Fee
$26,199- Price before TTL

Not subject to Finance with dealer preferred lender, although I did it because they matched the 2.74% @ 72 month offer from my Credit Union.

No haggle, basically their web price less VW partner program disc.

Last edited:

AKF427

Ready to race!
Probably a $15,500 destination charge there too. That's easy money for them. Even if the plant is in your backyard. Do the US dealers in Michigan charge destination? Nuff said.

On a side note, unless I'm mistaken, there is no 2 door GTI available in Mexico. I find that interesting. Also, no manual. Their blue looks different on their webpage, though it's probably the same. They have an additional silver color that we don't have. Would love to see it in person.

Do they manufacturer Polo's in Mexico? I think the 2 door prod run ended, I don't think you can even order one for the US.

joshua1

Hey everyone. First post!

Anyhow, found a dealer in my home state of Michigan that would "order" my 2017 Lapiz manual.

Very excited to get it. I was told in late November up till late December until I am likely to see it. Ended up paying $300 over MSRP. They wouldnt budge on price, but given all the phone calls and emails to other dealers looking for what I wanted, I don't mind about the price overall.

Everything was done over the phone in less that 10 minutes. I have never even test driven one, but felt confident pouring over the many YouTube videos and forums. I know it is what I am looking for.

jzcrna

Hey everyone. I just took delivery of a 2017 GTI sport. My sale price was around 26,750. Of course, they managed to tack on a bunch of dealer BS that they would not budge on. Doc fees, dealer fee, etc.

I came from a very new BMW 550i from which I was leasing CPO. I owned a 2013 VW Driver's edition before this and should have never gone with the 5 series, which was a luxury cruiser. This "deal" put me in a pretty steep negative equity situation that makes my stomach hurt, but I can certainly afford. I just couldn't see spending another 2 years in a vehicle I didn't own and didn't love so the sooner I start cranking double payments, the better. and own my car a couple of years after my lease would have been up. It hurts, but IMHO totally worth it and I will explain why below. My car was listed on swap a lease with not many hits as the new 5 series is coming soon and deals are everywhere.

Its funny, because I contacted 4 different dealers and none of them would give me what I thought was reasonable for my trade so I went to my local dealer who I typically despise. He gave me well above and beyond what anyone else would give for my BMW. The thing was, I almost didn't purchase the GTI, because for one, it was not a financially smart thing to do and they didn't have the car that I wanted on the lot. It made it easier to say no, but then the next thing I know, the dealer swaps the lot car for a white one 2 hours away and agrees to tint the windows and give me an extra $500 for my trade. How could I say no (sarcasm).

This 2017 GTI Sport is such a step up from my MKVI!!! It is my personal belief that this car is totally undervalued. The performance pack makes this car feel like an E90 3 series that I used to have. The handling is phenomenal and I'm noticing much less wheel spin. It feels great to be in a vehicle that is nimble and technology-laden. Parking this car is also such a breeze.

I'm kind of rambling, but my satisfaction with the MKVII sport has be quickly forgetting about my negative equity. Apple Carplay is terrific. A few things could be tweaked, but all of my apps are pretty much integrated superbly.I just can't say enough. The stock sound system is fantastic as well, IMHO. At first I wanted to get the fender premium sound system, which I now believe isn't necessary whatsoever. With my situation, I did not want to splurge for a brand new GTI in a trim above Sport. I also did not want to get a 2016 without the performance pack.

The only thing that I will eventually do to this car is get an APR Stage 1 tune. This really made my MKVI fantastic. With that said, this car is extremely tolerable and meets my needs. I would like to get the tune for better mapping, not necessarily for more HP.

Anyhow, great to be here and please don't flame. And don't do what I did and get upside down with your cars. I could afford to but it isn't a smart thing to do, obviously.

I cannot seem to upload a picture due to the file size. Ill play with that later.

My car is a 2017 GTI sport. Pure White with Nogaro wheels. I must say that the Nogaro wheels look AMAZING up close, especially. They have a real premium look to them.

HMCS JK

$38558.56 OTD from Sutliff VW for my 2017 Golf R 6MT with DCC & NAV.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Looks like a great deal for an R at almost $3K off sticker.

wantone

Ready to race!
I'm kind of rambling, but my satisfaction with the MKVII sport has be quickly forgetting about my negative equity. Apple Carplay is terrific. A few things could be tweaked, but all of my apps are pretty much integrated superbly.I just can't say enough. The stock sound system is fantastic as well, IMHO. At first I wanted to get the fender premium sound system, which I now believe isn't necessary whatsoever.

Congrats on the new ride. People do the negative equity all of the time. If you can afford it and are happy with new purchase then by all means. It's those that can't afford (either car) it when it becomes a problem. I didn't see, did you buy a manual or DSG?

As far as the stereo, is the Sport stereo system the same as the S stereo system? Were there any changes to the S stereo for 2017? It's really what's keeping me from buying an S is the crappy system. Glad you like the stereo. I sat in a 2016 S and thought the stereo sucked. Like really bad. And have never heard a good review of the S stereo anywhere. Maybe they changed something.

Enjoy your new ride!