GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Next Car Swap

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I have received $330 in donations in the last week. I guess the 8 years of building my channel was worth it for times like these.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Pretty awesome.

ROOSTER1050

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2010 MKVI GTI
Have you checked out any contracting firms maybe??? could at least be a way to bridge the gap for a while, 6mo or one year contract somewhere -- good $$$ ususally, but no bene's ...(I dont know if your wife works and could provide benefits in the interim) ... Best of luck man.

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'10 GTI, miata, vers
engine is probably hosed from all that pinging. better trade it in.

Sensors can lie. Are you running a colder plug?

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Plac, you're never going to see a clean log with a OTS tune on CA gas. You either need to find a source of higher octane fuel to mix with 91 or get a protune. If you're getting excessive knock (which you aren't) you can work with Cobb to get a beta map. I had an issue when they first came out with their GR stage 2 maps + intake. I was seeing double digit knock values under light throttle and they were able to put me on a beta map which kinda helped until they sorted it out.

Keep in mind, -1.4 is the ECU seeing one knock event. It will look worse in your log because it takes a few hundred RPM for the ECU to advance that timing back in.

If you're really worried about it you should be able to pull up to 5 degrees of timing manually, which should clear that up no problem.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Plac, you're never going to see a clean log with a OTS tune on CA gas. You either need to find a source of higher octane fuel to mix with 91 or get a protune. If you're getting excessive knock (which you aren't) you can work with Cobb to get a beta map. I had an issue when they first came out with their GR stage 2 maps + intake. I was seeing double digit knock values under light throttle and they were able to put me on a beta map which kinda helped until they sorted it out.

Keep in mind, -1.4 is the ECU seeing one knock event. It will look worse in your log because it takes a few hundred RPM for the ECU to advance that timing back in.

If you're really worried about it you should be able to pull up to 5 degrees of timing manually, which should clear that up no problem.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I don't have an OTS tune. I have a customized tune specifically for my engine and car characteristics.

the problem was that stage 2 tune. I went to another vendors tune (also customized for my car) and had no knock at all.

although now, if you watched the video above, I am enjoying my customized stage 1 again for a bit. (no knock there either.)

Merkle

Banned
I don't have an OTS tune. I have a customized tune specifically for my engine and car characteristics.

the problem was that stage 2 tune. I went to another vendors tune (also customized for my car) and had no knock at all.

although now, if you watched the video above, I am enjoying my customized stage 1 again for a bit. (no knock there either.)

I have come out of retirement for this.

I know I've been a dick in the past, that aside, I was saddened to hear about the job situation, I was laid off last spring, it sucks, and is very stressful.

Also, glad to see you went to a more modest tune, I watched the video and that was definitely detonation, no bueno.

Anyway, good luck of future prospects, and keep that engine running!