GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The 'Chimera' - Progression of my 1.8T by SKVeeDubR

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm very pleased with the results!

Fun reading your trials and tribulations. Probably not so fun actually living it as one thing after another goes bad.

Glad you got it solved and think it brings some life to the cabin.

Yes, modifying cars is not always as straight forward as some would like us to believe. I think it's important we share with each other ours trials and tribulations so we can learn from each other. Surprisingly enough either I'm the first to ever experience this issue OR it was never documented online as far as I could find.

Definitely a small sense of accomplishment when issues like this can be solved.

Cheers!

The steering wheel turned out extremely nicely! Seems like all of your efforts and determination paid off. Congrats, it really makes an already classy cabin that much nicer. I can't say I wouldn't have given up much before you did!

Haha yeah, and I'd be lying if I didn't say the thoughts of just selling the R-Line wheel and sticking with the stock wheel didn't pop in my head at first.

The more questions I asked, and the more 'I dunno's' I got from pretty much everyone fuelled my fire to get there issue resolved.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
I had someone on VWVortex ask me this..

Quick question, does the Golf R/GTI steering wheel have a thicker wheel/grip compared to the 1.8t Golf?

Here are my thoughts/findings

Overall not really.

The top half of the steering wheel rim is approximately the same thickness. The built out ridges right above your 'thumb' notches are slightly thicker on the sport wheel.

The biggest difference in thickness/grip comes in the lower half of the wheel as it is approximately 1/4" thicker all the way along. From what I can tell this thickness is due in part to the difference in shape of the wheel, as the sport wheel has a crest all the way along the front face, where the standard golf wheel appears to only have this crest on the upper portion, while the lower half of the wheel and it's front face is flattened.

The wheels are actually COMPLETELY different when it comes to their design/core. The standard Golf wheel diameter/circumference is significantly larger, and the flat bottom is less pronounced. Then of course there are the obvious differences in wheel spokes, horn pad/airbag, MFSW buttons, stitch seams etc etc.

I think this is a perfect example of the 'whole' being greater than the 'sum of it's parts'

Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Incredible perseverance! The end result looks very nice and you can be proud of the work you did every time you get in the car!

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
02/02/2017 - VW Accessories Homelink Mirror with Autodimming and Compass

This one was sort of a 'spur of the moment' purchase - I saw it one morning after learning of it on the forums (don't know how I missed it before), and purchased it the same day.

Usually I research things TO DEATH, but this looked like it fit the bill as I wanted to get something I knew my wife would enjoy - an integrated garage door opener. I have to say I too can't stand having a large, clunky opener strapped to my visor as it looks hideous AND is somewhat of a security risk.

I first called my dealer with the PN, but quickly learned that in Canada this part is not available, and I also learned that there is a 'block-sale' to Canada as well, so even if my dealer tried to bring one in for me, they could not.

I simply then ordered from Quirkparts, which is where many have also ordered with great success. I highly recommend them as well - no issues and great prices!

I did try to clarify with people who had done this retrofit ahead of me what functionality I may lose, but there never really seemed to be a clear answer. What I did know was that I was bound to lose some functionality, while gaining others.

Here is a side-by-side comparison of my stock mirror in the 1.8T Highline.

Much to my dismay, this optical sensor or 'camera' was attached to the mirror itself and not the glass along with the rain sensor.

there are also seven pins in my original mirror harness, and only three in the new Homelink mirror. They control the camera.

it's not even as simple as swapping this camera on to the new mirror as in addition to the mirror brackets being different, the wiring first runs into the mirror body itself, before coming back out to the harness. I was hoping the wires for the camera ran directly to the harness, then I could theoretically just install those wires into the new harness, but this proved too much and I was not about to dismantle both mirrors to test my theory haha.

So here is the new Homelink, auto dimming/compass mirror installed

And here is my new fault, lol

The fault warning is really not intrusive though as the car will warn you once per cycle of the ignition ONLY if you attempt to activate the high-beam assist feature.

So I have some thinking to do.. Am I ready to sacrifice my high-beam assist feature in favour of built-in Homelink? It's tough as I have been RAVING about how much I like the high-beam assist feature, I even told my wife during our summer vacation out west that it was probably my favourite tech feature on the car.

In reality though, I can count on my one hand the number of times I've actually been able to make use of the high-beam assist function. Oh and apparently, there is some 'problem' with this feature and dealers have been coding it off, many times without the customer even knowing, because it violates some regulatory body requirements? If anyone knows the exact details feel free to share!

Oh, another feature that is lost is that when your mirror is auto-dimmed, and you put the car in reverse, with the stock mirror assembly the mirror cancels the auto-dim function. On this new Homelink VW accessories mirror the mirror will remain auto-dimmed regardless of gear selection.

There is one other function that is supposedly lost which again is tied in to the auto-dim and having a door open or perhaps the overhead console light(s) on, but I forgot to test those functions and I am honestly not too concerned about those ones either.

Here is the original mirror, which also allows you to cancel the auto-dim via the power button. This mirror sure does look dated though in comparison to the frameless mirror.

So basically I lose high-beam assist, dim-cancel in reverse, and the ability to power off the auto-dim feature entirely.. But I gain Homelink, a compass in the mirror (which I actually really like), and a really sharp looking frameless mirror.

To quote a friend of mine as he got in the car with the new mirror installed - 'I didn't think it was possible to find a rear view mirror that sexy' lol

I'm going to leave it in for now. (EDIT - frameless mirror has been removed.. I like my HBA more than I thought I ever would)

Edit EDIT - Frameless Homelink mirror repurchased and reinstalled for 2019 - while HBA is cool, frameless is sexy, and not having a garage door opener hanging off your visor like a huge eyesore is a bonus, not to mention safer as Homelink only active with ignition on. The compass in the mirror is super handy as well, much more visible than in the cluster, and the lighting matches the interior perfectly!

Last edited:

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
You're making me wish I had a couple more options. My mirror is old school. Glued to the windshield poverty spec stuff lol. I wanted garage door openers but it won't work in my situation.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
You're making me wish I had a couple more options. My mirror is old school. Glued to the windshield poverty spec stuff lol. I wanted garage door openers but it won't work in my situation.

I wonder if the VW accessories Homelink mirror for cars WITHOUT rain-sensing will work in your application?

you should check it out!

PN 000072548E

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
02/07/2017 - OBDEleven - bringing coding to the masses

This is a game changer for the average backyard car enthusiast all the way to the seasoned technician.. Can't believe I waited this long haha! No more bugging my Master Tech friends to use their VCDS, well mostly I won't have to! This thing is mighty powerful for it's size/cost!

I won't bore you with a long list of all the changes/adaptations/coding I have done, as most of it is stuff we all have been doing. If I come up with something revolutionary I will let you guys know haha!

I will say though, a few of my favourites include:
- Lock while running
- Mirror dip in reverse
- Fan speed display while in 'Auto'
- Heated seat memory

Prior to any changes I backed up each Control Unit / Module, then emailed the backup to myself. This was also done using the OBDEleven app.

Did this one as well to match the steering wheel and the rest of the OEM+ parts I have installed thus far..

I still have yet to get in to the lighting changes.. So much to consider!

Last edited:

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
Get to that list I sent you lol. Glad you got one. I'd have to buy an android tablet or phone to use it. Can you enable video in motion with the obd11?

fm7

Ready to race!
How hard was it to install the side skirts? I just ordered the votex ones and trying to do find some diy tutorials but cannot find any. Based on the hardware they come with, I have a pretty good ideea as to how it's done but would appreciate any tips. Thank you in advance.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Get to that list I sent you lol. Glad you got one. I'd have to buy an android tablet or phone to use it. Can you enable video in motion with the obd11?

haha yessir!

and yes, apparently you can enable video-in-motion.. However I need to test my video player before I try to enable the function for in-motion. I've honestly never tried to play any videos thus far, but I definitely want to.

How hard was it to install the side skirts? I just ordered the votex ones and trying to do find some diy tutorials but cannot find any. Based on the hardware they come with, I have a pretty good ideea as to how it's done but would appreciate any tips. Thank you in advance.

Can you show me the hardware that came with your side skirts?

The R-sideskirts were fairly straightforward.. I referenced My R to see what hardware was required, purchased four (two per side) 'adapters' that attach to the underside of the rocker, then the side skirts screw in to the brackets as well as to the front and rear of each side skirt.. top edge adhered along the entire length with body trim tape.

The adapter PNs are 5G0 853 493 for reference.. not sure if your skirts use these as well?

fm7

Ready to race!
I did not receive them yet, but supposedly they come with the hardware pictured below
Which brand/size tape did you use? Thanks.

Attachments

• Hardware.jpg
    Hardware.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 1,336

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
I did not receive them yet, but supposedly they come with the hardware pictured below
Which brand/size tape did you use? Thanks.

woah, that looks a little more involved than the R skirts!? If your kit didn't come with tape I suspect it is not needed.. I used 1/2" double-sided moulding repair tape.. 3M is a common brand but there are others as well.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
02/09/2017 - More Codiing

This little OBDEleven unit continues to impress! I've tweaked most all of my exterior lighting functions, currently am running as follows:

Dimming DRLs with Indicators - (because Euro. Previously my DRLs stayed at full brightness. I tried with DRLs blinking when indicating but they seemed out of phase with the indicator lights.. I may try disabling the indicator lights and having DRLs 'blink' when indicating.. but this is illegal so there's that haha)

Fog Lights on with DRL - Figured I might as well make use of the fogs in my 1.8T as I barely have them on for inclement weather.. But the stock Halogens are so yellow in comparison to the DRLs.. So just ordered a pair of H11 Osrams to throw in the fog housings to see if they better match. I know it's never going to be a perfect match, and by going to a 'whiter' Halogen I am potentially losing the yellow part of the light spectrum, but let's face it I'm doing it for the aesthetics for the most part. If I do notice a significant decrease in light output/visibility it will be back to the drawing board though.

Emergency Brake - (haven't tested this function yet but supposedly hazards will flash with HARD braking)

Scandinavian DRLs - Call me crazy, but I prefer to be seen!

Urban Joke V2 Tails - I've put off buying LED tails until I've tried this tweak.. You know, I'm actually torn.. I REALLY like the V2 as the car really stands out. Turn signals are very obvious when compared to stock halogen settings. Hazards are really eye-catching.
Even the brake lights are very obvious compared to the stock halogen settings for North America. I still may buy LED tails because, well, LED tails.. But for now I am happy.

Comfort Blink > 4 (I previously has set to three but I feel with the UJV2 the '4' looks proper)

Disable NAR Restrictions - This is a MUST do IMHO! Headlights raise at speed, cornering lights function with turn signals, adaptive headlights function as the engineers intended! Curious enough, in my R I can select my traffic as Right or Left-hand, but in the 1.8T I cannot. I suspect this has to do with where the cars were assembled. Can anyone confirm this? Anyone with a GTI who has disabled NAR can you chose between left and right-hand traffic?

** All I can say is when you are coding, do your homework, back your sh!t up, and do more homework. Also, don't panic if you think you 'eff' anything up. When coding to disable NAR on my R I immediately got a fault for my Adaptive Headlights and thought I messed something up. I tried resetting my lights in the infotainment screen, I tried cycling the key, driving, I even tried returning to NAR settings and now that didn't work either!? Then I just read some more.. Turns out I missed the last (and very important) step(s) of the coding - to 'Acknowledge' and 'Activate' Basic Settings in the Headlight Module.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
02/09/2017 - More Codiing

This little OBDEleven unit continues to impress! I've tweaked most all of my exterior lighting functions, currently am running as follows:

Dimming DRLs with Indicators - (because Euro. Previously my DRLs stayed at full brightness. I tried with DRLs blinking when indicating but they seemed out of phase with the indicator lights.. I may try disabling the indicator lights and having DRLs 'blink' when indicating.. but this is illegal so there's that haha)

Fog Lights on with DRL - Figured I might as well make use of the fogs in my 1.8T as I barely have them on for inclement weather.. But the stock Halogens are so yellow in comparison to the DRLs.. So just ordered a pair of H11 Osrams to throw in the fog housings to see if they better match. I know it's never going to be a perfect match, and by going to a 'whiter' Halogen I am potentially losing the yellow part of the light spectrum, but let's face it I'm doing it for the aesthetics for the most part. If I do notice a significant decrease in light output/visibility it will be back to the drawing board though.

Emergency Brake - (haven't tested this function yet but supposedly hazards will flash with HARD braking)

Scandinavian DRLs - Call me crazy, but I prefer to be seen!

Urban Joke V2 Tails - I've put off buying LED tails until I've tried this tweak.. You know, I'm actually torn.. I REALLY like the V2 as the car really stands out. Turn signals are very obvious when compared to stock halogen settings. Hazards are really eye-catching.
Even the brake lights are very obvious compared to the stock halogen settings for North America. I still may buy LED tails because, well, LED tails.. But for now I am happy.

Comfort Blink > 4 (I previously has set to three but I feel with the UJV2 the '4' looks proper)

Disable NAR Restrictions - This is a MUST do IMHO! Headlights raise at speed, cornering lights function with turn signals, adaptive headlights function as the engineers intended! Curious enough, in my R I can select my traffic as Right or Left-hand, but in the 1.8T I cannot. I suspect this has to do with where the cars were assembled. Can anyone confirm this? Anyone with a GTI who has disabled NAR can you chose between left and right-hand traffic?

** All I can say is when you are coding, do your homework, back your sh!t up, and do more homework. Also, don't panic if you think you 'eff' anything up. When coding to disable NAR on my R I immediately got a fault for my Adaptive Headlights and thought I messed something up. I tried resetting my lights in the infotainment screen, I tried cycling the key, driving, I even tried returning to NAR settings and now that didn't work either!? Then I just read some more.. Turns out I missed the last (and very important) step(s) of the coding - to 'Acknowledge' and 'Activate' Basic Settings in the Headlight Module.

Any info on the Urban Joke V2 tails or a video??!

I'm loving this build.