GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Super excited about the FR-S

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
agreed on Mustang and of course on comparing stock vs stock, but this is just tires - most guys talk about power mods when they benchrace cars and say, "add a flash and xxxxxx", but in this case, its just tires, and many GTI's come with all-seasons, at least in my area.

Who knows, maybe the 2nd year will be like the 09 WRX, where the 08 owners felt like they got ass-raped 3x by a 2 ton gorilla... those poor bastards... better tires, suspension, 40 more hp, etc, etc., all came on the 09 - also similar to first year GTO of 350hp vs second year with the LS2 400 hp motor. So that goes to your point about avoiding first year production vehicles.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for posting that review, C4L. This is going to be a great car for someone who doesn't care about the performance numbers, but wants a car that offers an unmatched driving experience (in the price bracket), classic RWD driving dynamics, and plenty of sensory feedback from the car. Basically a driver's car. It's not for everyone (some people only care about the numbers and that's fine too), but it says a lot that the reviewer, whose job description includes driving high-end exotic supercars, was absolutely smitten with the BRZ:

Then I made a big mistake. With my eyes still set on the rearview mirror, I locked onto the tiny back seat barely befitting a pair of shih tzus. I knew then and there this car was not for me. Or rather, I was not for this car. I wanted to cry. Like, weep cry. I had driven the BRZ 1320 feet, and I coveted one. But I might as well have coveted my own private 747 with a batting cage and a Jacuzzi. See, my family and this small 2+2 Subaru -- which, by the way, stretches 21.4 inches shorter than an already compact Mustang -- go together like Porsche and pickup. But wait, maybe if I moved the front passenger seat all the way forward, I could make enough room for a child seat, allowing the missus to be semi-comfortable, which...is never going to happen.

Few cars have made me miss bachelorhood quite like the BRZ. The Lamborghini Aventador didn't. Neither did the Ferrari 458 Italia.

Better still, the BRZ treats the driver to all the MX-5's chassis greatness -- the direct, linear steering; the composed, taut ride with a touch of softness; the firm, reassuring brakes; the initial understeer that transitions gently and predictably to controllable oversteer -- but adds a quiver-free fixed-roof body that communicates chassis behavior with even more precision. In terms of accessible, rewarding dynamics, the BRZ resides with the Porsche Cayman, which, as Subaru points out, has a slightly higher center of gravity than that of the made-in-Japan coupe. In fact, around our figure-eight course, test director Kim Reynolds preferred the BRZ's character and 0.90 g of lateral accel (Subaru admits the standard Michelin Primacy HPs are "moderate grip" tires) to a certain mid-engine Brit that costs roughly tenfold. (Hint: It's in this issue.)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Tis true.

Both the MT and I/L reviews were VERY favorable, even with mediocre numbers. I'm sure that says something about the overall dynamicy of the car.

I wonder how smitten they would be had they got beaten on the street by a Camry V6??:)

A V6 camry will beat a GTI also :laugh:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
mmhmm... many cars/ some trucks will.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Looks interesting, but could you imagine going to a scion meet?? :bellyroll:
Sorry, I had to get that out there.

:lol::lol::lol:

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I have to say the car still very much intrigues me. Should be a fun car to drive and having a roof is always better than stuck with a convertible like a Miata. But I was expecting(perhaps unrealistically) at a lower price point and it is really not a "quick" car. And I was hoping for more price seperation for the supposed lesser equip Scion vs the loaded Subaru...

I don't think it'll be realistic for me to trade in the GTI in the future for one, but I still want to drive it at some point...

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
sigh... why do people have to keep talking about this
the frs/brz is not a 0-60 car. that's not it's purpose

X2. Surprised to see this on a gti forum as if our cars were made for that purpose and couldnt be outperformed...don't Gtis embody the whole "it's more than just 0-60" pretty well?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I've read about 5 reviews on this car and I feel like they've all said the same exact thing:

"This car is meant to be driven on the twisties" and "This car FEELS faster than some porsches I've driven"

The same was said about our vehicles....I'm really excited to see this one come out and what kind of aftermarket mods will arise.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
X2. Surprised to see this on a gti forum as if our cars were made for that purpose and couldnt be outperformed...don't Gtis embody the whole "it's more than just 0-60" pretty well?

^^ exactly!!!!

I've read about 5 reviews on this car and I feel like they've all said the same exact thing:

"This car is meant to be driven on the twisties" and "This car FEELS faster than some porsches I've driven"

The same was said about our vehicles....I'm really excited to see this one come out and what kind of aftermarket mods will arise.

every review I've read for the BRZ/FR-S is glowing with praise.

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
Now that I've slept on it for a while, I think that I have finally shaken the "I must buy this as soon as it comes out" feeling. As much praise as it does get on the track, it is a little too anemic in the power band. I think that once they roll out a FI version (which they have plans to) then it will be a serious contender.