GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stumbling start (intermittently, so that's fun [still not fixed, apparently])?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
yeah thats what it sounds like when the charcoal cannister is clogged. vapors cant get out
Is there a definitive DIY for this? Or is it simply, jack up, remove fender liner, and remove/install? Any quirks? Is the strut in the way?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
thats pretty much it
jack it up
take off wheel
take out liner
remove a couple fuel lines and a connector from cannister
undo bolt (might be easier to get to lines/connector if bolt is undone first but just dont let the cannister dangle and put stress on them)
take out
Got it, thanks.

I did just go in and look at my records. Suction pump was replaced under the recall in 2016. No parts listed for the charcoal canister or any purge valves though, mostly just the pump and items related to it.

I also have a letter extending the warranty on it to 15 years or 150,000 miles. The next move might just be to set up a diagnostic appointment at the dealer that did it last time. I'm hoping if it ends up getting covered, they would also replace the charcoal canister if it was also taken out of commission by the pump.

20240131_1227072.jpg

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
What a wild past couple of days haha. I had forgot how dealing with a dealer usually goes since it's been a few years since I went to one.

Dropped the car at the dealer and explained everything. Diagnostic came back with a bad N80 purge valve and the PCV letting too much pressure build up. The estimate to fix came back around $3,800 because they wanted to do a full upper timing cover reseal and an oil pan gasket replacement because the pressure is causing some weeping. Asked for a quote for just the N80 and PCV and came back with $1,000 plus tax. So, I thanked them for the diagnostic and went out and picked up a new N80 and PCV for about $285 and will be installing myself on Sunday or Monday.

They did take care of the gear selector trim recall while I was there as well, so at least I don't have to worry about getting cut in the future haha.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
LOL, that's dealers for you, always trying to find extra work. See if the weeping mostly stops after the fixes. I know people at the dealers, and the techs have to suggest things even though they're not important. Did they do a video of your car as they checked the weepages?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
LOL, that's dealers for you, always trying to find extra work. See if the weeping mostly stops after the fixes. I know people at the dealers, and the techs have to suggest things even though they're not important. Did they do a video of your car as they checked the weepages?
No video. I did talk to the tech on the phone at one point, and he offered to send a photo of the wet oil pan, but I'm not too worried about it. I haven't lost any oil off the dipstick since the last change, so it can't be very extreme. No spots on the garage floor either. The timing cover isn't that bad either. My indie mechanic pointed it out a while ago and said we would keep an eye on it in case it gets worse (the way he was talking, it's pretty common and that most of them have some weeping somewhere). I made an appointment with him at the end of the month just to go in and verify nothing has gotten much worse since he saw the car last when he cleaned the valves of carbon around Christmas.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
What a wild past couple of days haha. I had forgot how dealing with a dealer usually goes since it's been a few years since I went to one.

Dropped the car at the dealer and explained everything. Diagnostic came back with a bad N80 purge valve and the PCV letting too much pressure build up. The estimate to fix came back around $3,800 because they wanted to do a full upper timing cover reseal and an oil pan gasket replacement because the pressure is causing some weeping. Asked for a quote for just the N80 and PCV and came back with $1,000 plus tax. So, I thanked them for the diagnostic and went out and picked up a new N80 and PCV for about $285 and will be installing myself on Sunday or Monday.

They did take care of the gear selector trim recall while I was there as well, so at least I don't have to worry about getting cut in the future haha.
My dealer dying to do a cam bridge reseal on my car every time I bring it in for an oil change.
I've got the slightest amount of weepage at my valve cover.
There's no way I'm doing it unless it gets severe, which I seriously doubt will happen by the time I get rid of the car.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
My dealer dying to do a cam bridge reseal on my car every time I bring it in for an oil change.
I've got the slightest amount of weepage at my valve cover.
There's no way I'm doing it unless it gets severe, which I seriously doubt will happen by the time I get rid of the car.
Yup, exactly this haha.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
New N80 and PCV went in last night. Being overly paranoid and careful, it took about an hour and a half. Everything fired right up afterwards and my commute to work this morning was pleasantly uneventful. I'm at about a half a tank of fuel right now, so I should be filling up sometime this week to give it a proper test and see if there are any issues. With the nature of this being intermittent, it will be a little while before I'm okay considering it "fixed." I have cleaned off my oil cap and the hose that goes to the TIP to monitor how much, if any, oil is being pushed out. The N80 is now the current AE revision and my PCV went from an AH to AP.

P.s. I hate parts that you can't tell if they're broken or not just by visually looking at them haha.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Pretty safe to say it was bad....
Yeah, there was a nice little puddle behind the hose connection as well. Think it's worthwhile to pop off the intake tube to check inside the TIP?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Anybody replace the PCV valve as a preventative maintenance...at what interval?
The guy who made the video that I followed to replace mine was doing it as preventative maintenance. I think he said he was between 70-80k miles? Can't recall exactly.