GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock Tune w/ Turboback

dmj291

Just wondering how many of you guys are running a turboback exhaust on the stock calibration? Not really worried about emissions as it sounds like a spacer should eliminate a CEL. Main concern is leaning out, detonation, etc.

Also, yes I did search... but most of the discussion I found seemed to be around whether you would get a CEL rather than if AFRs were safe. Thanks for the help!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Won't hurt anything, the ECU can easily compensate for the free flowing exhaust

I'd highly suggest a catted DP tho, if for nothing else to avoid the terrible smell of catless

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
+1 you'll be safe. Some concerns initially were turbine speed but there haven't been any issues. JB essentially is a stock tune and I personally have been jb1/4+DP for almost the entire life of the car (16k+ on that setup)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The electronic WG controls turbo speed so precisely it's a non issue on our cars.

Shitty turbo balancing on the 2015 cars is what killed turbos and that issue has been for the majority of cars resolved

GhostMetal

Passed Driver's Ed
Wasn't there a long chat about not running a dp on a stage 1 tune or it can toast the turbo.

I would strongly caution you against running any hardware the software isn't tuned for. You're injecting a certain amount of "who knows".

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I ran a catted down-pipe on a stock tune for about 6000 miles and I would occasionally blend e30... ran great with no issues.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Wasn't there a long chat about not running a dp on a stage 1 tune or it can toast the turbo.

I would strongly caution you against running any hardware the software isn't tuned for. You're injecting a certain amount of "who knows".

I can confirm that it's a non issue from first hand experience.

Stage 2 is just a more aggressive tune, it's not mismatched like running is38 with a normal stage 1 tune

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!

I've read up a bit on the subject and here's what I learned. In general, on stock tune or stage 1 with very little restriction in the exhaust (straight pipe or close to) there is "potential" for boost creep. This is primarily based on 3 things the waste gate size, duty cycle, and lack of back pressure in the exhaust. Most stage 2 tunes will adjust the duty cycle to compensate for lack of restriction.

www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/boost_creep

As someone else said doesn't seem to have been an issue with our cars though as our ECU's adapt very well to changes. However, tuning for your hardware makes sure you're not leaving extra power on the table. :D

_dvorak

Ready to race!
I ran a catted down-pipe on a stock tune for about 6000 miles and I would occasionally blend e30... ran great with no issues.

same here - rev9 catless downpipe, stock everything else. Used it for about 8k miles. No issues whatsoever.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
One side benefit of removing the factory O2 housing and cat is reduced underhood temps especially once parked. A 3" catless dp is not going to hold heat like a O2 housing full of ceramic substrate right off the turbo. Potentially could extend turbo bearing life along with less baking of all the plastic pieces in and around the engine bay.

Over 10,000 miles zero issues. Helps engine breathe considerably above 5k rpms. Plus cheap 20-25 whp w/ Rev9.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
And for the best bang for your buck weld a 200 cell high flow cat in a cheap catless dp (like rev 9) for about $100-140 installed. That way you keep the nasty smell down, keep it legal, and still well below $400

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
One side benefit of removing the factory O2 housing and cat is reduced underhood temps especially once parked. A 3" catless dp is not going to hold heat like a O2 housing full of ceramic substrate right off the turbo. Potentially could extend turbo bearing life along with less baking of all the plastic pieces in and around the engine bay.

Totally agree, my DP is still catted but the cat is further down the exhaust stream (just after the sub-frame hangers) and I ended up wrapping the downpipe from the turbo down to it. Should help keep those under hood temps down. :)

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Why. Exhaust systems for this car are expensive, if you aren't going to tune it then it seems like a waste of money and potentially time if you're doing the install yourself.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Why. Exhaust systems for this car are expensive, if you aren't going to tune it then it seems like a waste of money and potentially time if you're doing the install yourself.

You can buy a Rev9 full stainless 3" dp for 160 bucks. Real expensive...? Lol.