GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Squeaky / squealy and clunky rear brakes

Chr15b

Ready to race!
I've seen a few threads about this, thought i'd post my experiences and rather than reply to one or more, i'd start my own thread.

I picked up my car, a PP GTI last January, it was a build week 51 or 52 from memory, i know it was built post the Q4 changes.

mid feb i had a company properly sort out the paintwork, and apply wax etc - i remember us having a conversation about there was rust showing on the rear hubs, which we both thought was pretty bad.

Around August / September i started to notice (mostly in the morning) any time the car was cold, for the first 1/4 mile ish, the brakes were really squeeky, it got worse and started to annoy me, so i took it back to the supplying dealer, the car at this time was 8 or 9 months old and had ~7000 miles on it. because it was a 30 mile drive to them, it didnt make a noise whilst they drove it, but i had made recordings of it, which they agreed sounded pretty bad for such a new car.

They tell me they stripped and cleaned the rear brakes.

First evening finishing work, not a squeak out of it, such a relief - though i had to do a multi point turn to get out of the space i was parked in, i thought i heard a clunk from the rear of the car - put it down to my imagination, and mentally noted to listen the next morning.

Next morning still no squeak! brilliant.. but there was a definite clunk or knock on setting off in reverse.

the next morning the squeak/squeal returned - not as bad, but there.. it appeared and disappeared over the next couple of weeks.

about a week after this, i was running very late for a doctors appointment, and someone had blocked me in in the carpark - queue about a fifty point turn to get out, and i had to reverse about 5 or 6 car lengths as i got out the space facing backwards - as i came to the end of the carpark i touched the brakes - they made a loud hollow bang which sounded a bit like a drum, scared the **** out of me, i tapped them again and sure enough each time i pressed them they did this, set off forwards and it stopped. called dealer and booked it in, it was due a service now anyway.

over the next week this happened a couple of times more, always after repeated reverse maneuvers, always when cold and been sat for >5 hours - i heard a noise like a spring twanging once, never heard that again.

Took the car in, left it overnight with detailed instructions that it was low speed maneuvers, and to call me if they couldnt get it to do it, as i was confident i could talk someone through it - this was Thursday. Saturday morning they called me to say the service was complete - and i quote "the noise from the brakes is normal" - a little frustrated i went in to see them.

They agreed to have a technician drive the car whilst i was present and see what we heard. He went backwards, it clunked lightly, he said that was normal, the pad moving in the caliper - fair enough, i asked him to repeat moving backwards and forwards as i was sure it would get louder, may not be related, but i was sure it would play up. he did this and after about a dozen goes he stopped the car to discuss it with me - he did agree there was more noise than normal on occasions but that it was within tolerances - at this point i had a bit of a rant about spending 30k on a car and not expecting to have to put up with noisey brakes - pointing out that my previous 3 golfs didnt do it, nor did their courtesy polo.

at this point he reversed again to go back to the parking space - the car let out a loud crunching/groaning noise and came to a dead halt - i looked at him and he said - thats not normal... they kept the car for another four days.

in the end, (they tell me) they replaced the disks and pads, and generally cleaned and checked the brakes - i'm happy to report that 4 days on and its still totally silent i all aspects.

i cant be sure that the loud squeaking / squealing didnt mask the other noises, though i think the knocking / banking / twanging / thumping started after the brakes were 'cleaned' to cure the squeaking. i dont know exactly what was wrong back there, but i'm pleased it appears to be solved!

Something else i cant be sure if related, from collecting the car to about July, i never used the auto hold feature - then i read on here that it changes the auto stop/start - so i enabled it, it was within a month of this that i started getting the noises. interestingly, the technician switched off this feature as soon as he got in the car.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
I had this loud noise reversing when sat several hours in cold and pretty humid weather. The last week I made a trip (short vacation) which was 1000km in total. I took the longer route, which included nice winding roads and lots of elevation changes. So, I used the brakes a lot (not to mention the almost fatal accident I could have when an agricultural machine shown up in front of me from nowhere when I completed an overtake and had 140km/h and had to reduce to 20km/h, I'm thanking the PP brakes since then). Well, back to the subject, since I returned home the noises disappeared. So, I figured, if you use the car for a period of time in short drives (to work and back) and do not use the brakes much, they become "noisy" to "really LOUD" when cold. If you "clean" them with strong use they stop it.