GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rusty Brakes?

Feralys

Ready to race!
So, I have expressed my concerns about the rear brakes being extremely squeaky and loud before. I took it back to the dealer and they said they did something that was considered "non-machining" but they "roughened" the brake disc and the pads. The squeaks went away... but I started hearing thumps or clunks every once in awhile when I apply brakes (is this a symptom of loose pads?)

Anyways, it's been raining and lately I had to park the car outside under the mercy of the weather(heavy rain). So I did a quick check up on my tires and brakes and found this... should I be concerned? :confused: only my rear brakes are rusting like this, my front discs barely has any rust.

Attachments

• Rear Brakes #2.jpg
    Rear Brakes #2.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 6,235
  • Rear Brakes #1.jpg
    Rear Brakes #1.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 4,392

SHFT

Ready to race!
I'd complain that the brakes aren't finished properly and that they keep reducing the life of the rotors by sanding. I'd also complain about safety concerns even though this is minimal.

I've learned if you want to get shit done, call VW of America and get a conditional ok from them before you go. This makes it way easier to get ahit done. Also they will usually send you a gift card for the colossal pain in the ass multiple dealer trips to fix your new car is.

chid

Ready to race!
I had to change my rear brakes (pads and discs) at 27k km on my MK6 TDI...
I never changed my brakes before 80k km before..... 3 vw, 2 golf mk4 and a jetta mk5.

I fought with VW Canada to pay for the brakes, as I had a burning smell since I got the car, I had a dealer check them and said everything was OK at 15k km....
only to had them replaced because of rust at 27k km.
They said I didn't brake enough !?!?!

In the end, VW Canada didn't do anything..... they said the brakes are consumable :mad:

Feralys

Ready to race!
Alright! I'm going to give VWoA a call!

EDIT: They've escalated my case to "regional" (Whatever that means). I will visit the dealer tomorrow and let you guys know what's up!

Last edited:

Nyanga

Ready to race!
It don't look right to me.

jwilkins88

Ready to race!
A couple things:

1) It's normal for brakes rotors to rust. Unless you're running carbon-ceramic rotors, you'll notice rust on the brakes after a moist day

2) Those look as if they were machined by Stevie Wonder. The fact that the rust is only on the outer edge of the rotor tells me that the pad isn't making full contact with the rotor and is only hitting the inside (not good). It almost looks as if the edge of the rotor was ground down too much.

So, yeah... Those need to be fixed, but don't worry about rust

SHFT

Ready to race!
A couple things:

1) It's normal for brakes rotors to rust. Unless you're running carbon-ceramic rotors, you'll notice rust on the brakes after a moist day

2) Those look as if they were machined by Stevie Wonder. The fact that the rust is only on the outer edge of the rotor tells me that the pad isn't making full contact with the rotor and is only hitting the inside (not good). It almost looks as if the edge of the rotor was ground down too much.

Unless it's on the hat. Definitely worry about rust on the rotor hat lol

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
A couple things:

Sorry but rust occurs on face or rotors often hours after a rain. Good quality rotors will do less, but factory rotors are not always the best steel.
Fully agree. Rotors are cast iron. Ideal for brakes, but iron does rust.
Stainless steel doesn't. But it also doesn't brake that good (due to
excessive thermal expansion and poor thermal conduction properties).

Feralys

Ready to race!
It would be interesting to turn them and see how they look. If VW wants to turn them, depending on milage, if low, ask the to help you as this will shorten rotor life if they have to be turned this quickly. Ask for some other service help you can use in future after warranty period.

The guys at the VW dealer said they would roughened up the brake rotors without any "machining" to prevent the loud metallic squeaks, so this is the job they gave me.. and what about the clunk/thunks I hear every now and then, is that related to the pads not making good contact? or possibly being loose?