GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

South Bend Stage 3 Endurance with APR Stage II Review

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Hi All,
As many of you know I was very concerned upgrading my clutch with South Bend as I read so many stories about how the car will sound like a POS, but I also read many positive review as well. For this reason I really took a hard look at the SACHS SRE clutch but the lack of dealer support and the torque rating number turned me back to the south bend and I am glad it did. RSW offers 12k miles and one year warranty which is a huge plus.

I wanted the South Bend Stage 3 daily but it was back ordered and South Bend upgraded me for free to the stage 3 endurance rated at 580 ft/lbs

Again this added more concerns as I was worried that this would be harsher but I have to say I am pleasantly surprised how quiet it actually is.

I got the clutch installed at RSW in NJ and they reassured me that I was going to love this set up. I was the whole day their yesterday. I would say the whole job with clutch installation, DP and upgrade to stage II took about 6 hours and that is what they charged me for labor.

first impression when starting the car, obviously the shop was a bit loud, but I could not hear any chatter at all. Please keep in mind this was just after installation I decided to park between cars in front and beside me and I could hear the chatter but it was not bad.

Clutch engagement is stiffer than stock and I can see that being a problem for some but its supposed to lighten up.
it is a bit too stiff right now but I am sure after break in it will be fine.
I drove the car 3 hours in traffic back home from the shop and my leg did not get soar or anything.

Also engagement is very close to the floor and you only have about one inch of play I would say but wow it makes for:
fast take offs
fast shifting
perfect Rev matching
I even was able to down shift quickly without fully letting off the gas, engagement is that quick. I love it!!!

Again chatter seem to be almost non existent and I have to be honest my 335i used to chatter with stock clutch and its about the same loudness and that did not sound like a POS.

APR Stage II with this clutch seems to be perfect for each other I love the sound of the DP and the torque delivery seems to be much better. The clutch still needs to break in so I have not floor it yet but it feels great even at 1/2 throttle.

Here are some videos to help other make an educated decision. I will keep the reviews coming. Thank you all for the help.
I also cannot thank enough Redline Speed Worx for doing a great job with the install, I am sure that has to do a lot with the end result.

this video was taken same day of install. Video seems to amplify any noise for what is worth.
day 1 install
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fuEGXWAobw

this morning with door closed day 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjqDehuCNLg

this morning while driving day 2
https://youtu.be/woXorH3gkbk

Last edited:

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
There is an R local to me with the Stage 3 Southbend Daily, there is little to no chatter and he seems to like it.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
AWESOME!!!

Can't wait for the updates. Congrats.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Ya I really don't hear anything. I wish someone close had a SMFW flywheel setup so I could hear it in person. Personally I don't care, but the wifey doesn't want me to ruin a nice car lol. I think I just need to get her something nice so she's not worried about mine ;)

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
There is an R local to me with the Stage 3 Southbend Daily, there is little to no chatter and he seems to like it.

We have installed many of these clutches and sold quite a few outside the local network as well. Customers have been experiencing great results upon install, they definitely get more tame when broken in too. Glad to hear you are satisfied with the SouthBend product, it is one we embrace for all the reasons you've stated and more. They also have exceptional after install support too. :cool:

Cheers!

Greg

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Anyone around CT that would like to meet up and check it out is welcome. Yes Greg at XLR8 is great. He answer a ton of my questions.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
You had said engagement is stiffer than stock, but is it still able to be done smoothly? Or is it more like an on/off switch?

I am able to do it smoothly. The best way for me to take off easy is to tap the gas a few times on take off which sounds awesome as well.
I can am able to take off even without giving it any gas but it is difficult but possible but I am still on break in. I will take more videos in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
You had said engagement is stiffer than stock, but is it still able to be done smoothly? Or is it more like an on/off switch?

It is all about how easily you adjust and get used to the new clutch. It may seem like it is a light switch at first, but as you learn the engagement it is quite smooth even if it is still in the break in process.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
I am able to do it smoothly. The best way for me to take off easy is to tap the gas a few times on take off which sounds awesome as well.
I can am able to take off even without giving it any gas but it is difficult but possible but I am still on break in. I will take more videos for in the coming weeks.

Good to know!

It is all about how easily you adjust and get used to the new clutch. It may seem like it is a light switch at first, but as you learn the engagement it is quite smooth even if it is still in the break in process.

Ital mentioned the engagement is an inch off the floor. Is that adjustable at all?

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
One thing to note I did get a Check Engine light now. Read the code and its due to the downpipe. I called RSW and they will send me the o2 spacer. That said, I was under the impression that with APR stage II no spacer is needed. Can anyone comment? Could it be that stage 2 was not installed properly? How can I get confirmation?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Yes I believe they have a test pipe (someone recently commented it's something like "APR Downpipe") tune for the stage 2 file. Most likely they didn't load the correct file is my initial guess

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
I called APR and spoke to Greg and I am flashed to stage 2 (so that is good) and they have two files
One that is emission compliant which will trough check engine light and you will occasionally need 02 sensor (I am the lucky one)
The other is the "non test pipe file" which would bypass bank one all together but he said you would not pass emission with it.

I will just put a spacer in there. I do not think its a big deal, but just sharing the knowledge :)

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
I called APR and spoke to Greg and I am flashed to stage 2 (so that is good) and they have two files
One that is emission compliant which will trough check engine light and you will occasionally need 02 sensor (I am the lucky one)
The other is the "non test pipe file" which would bypass bank one all together but he said you would not pass emission with it.

I will just put a spacer in there. I do not think its a big deal, but just sharing the knowledge :)

Are you running APR's downpipe?