GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Show Us Your Intake!

gtigod

Passed Driver's Ed
Coolingmist Stage 1 $330
JB4 - $430
Intercooler - $700-900

I think I also did bigger injectors and a high flo fuel pump on my last meth/water setup back in 2009. This is ball-park but I agree, this is a shitload more money than guys farting around with their intakes. :D

You are correct...just depends on your use case. If I wanted to win races, well then more money into the engine would be better than trying to do it on the cheap, but for a DD that performs pretty well and doesn't cost me a load of cash...well one needs to make compromises. I think I'll stick to "farting around". Also, wonderful as top end parts may be, they also cost a lot. "Farting around" is inexpensive and maybe free. :)

Lots of folks spend money needlessly when there are options that are much less expensive or free that will work. I'm one of those folks that looks for the options.

Pingers

Ready to race!
You are correct...just depends on your use case. If I wanted to win races, well then more money into the engine would be better than trying to do it on the cheap, but for a DD that performs pretty well and doesn't cost me a load of cash...well one needs to make compromises. I think I'll stick to "farting around". Also, wonderful as top end parts may be, they also cost a lot. "Farting around" is inexpensive and maybe free. :)

Lots of folks spend money needlessly when there are options that are much less expensive or free that will work. I'm one of those folks that looks for the options.

Exactly! I too am a major fart..er...around-er...ok that sounds bad. :cool:

I went Meth with my SRT-4 and after my trunk mounted tank sprung a leak and leaked straight meth in my trunk, I took the system out. Too much of a pain to maintain for daily driving.

I still remember getting in the car right after that happened. :eek: My nostrils burned for days, lol. The only good news, there was no mess to clean up. It all evaporated. :p

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Where did you find IS38 for $800-$1000 ??? Holy Smoke!

I actually bought my brand new IS38 for $600 on eBay. No reserve auction starting bid at $1.99 ;)

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I went Meth with my SRT-4 and after my trunk mounted tank sprung a leak and leaked straight meth in my trunk, I took the system out. Too much of a pain to maintain for daily driving.

Use your window washer reservoir. Already has a built in low level indicator and it cleans your windows better. :cool:

gtigod

Passed Driver's Ed
Use your window washer reservoir. Already has a built in low level indicator and it cleans your windows better. :cool:

Ha! I was thinking of using it to spray water on the intercooler. It has a pump and all I need is hose and a nozzle to get it to the right place. I was thinking of adding a simple solenoid driven diverter valve so that I could switch between the windscreen and the intercooler. In the winter, I won't care, but in the summer when water won't freeze, this would drop the temps in the intercooler a good bit.

Regarding E85 or methanol...it takes a good bit more fuel to get the same miles per tank than a tank of 92 octane gas. The big advantage to E85 is that it doesn't detonate as easily as does gas so you can run it at higher compression levels. If it wasn't for this one fact, it would be worse than gas since it actually contains less potential energy than does gas. Converting to run solely on E85 would mean getting something like 250 miles per tank instead of 360 miles. For a DD, that's not very compelling, but on a track...yeah for sure...there's no better option! More compression = more power. OR at least it does until you blow the head off the block. Gone are the days where "there is no replacement for displacement" was the rule. My brother drives an F150 with a V6 and twin turbos. It is faster and stronger than his last F150 that had a 5.2 litre v8 in it.

Last edited:

Pingers

Ready to race!
Ha! I was thinking of using it to spray water on the intercooler. It has a pump and all I need is hose and a nozzle to get it to the right place.

Reminds me of the old STI days, intercooler sprayer! ?

gtigod

Passed Driver's Ed
Reminds me of the old STI days, intercooler sprayer! ��

Right! Why spend on a larger intercooler when the factory one does fine if you keep it wet? (That almost sounds sexual!) OK...not as good of air flow so eventually the engine will starve for air, but it will be chilly air! Besides, everyone needs a swamp cooler in their car. ;P

So back to intakes...
What's the best flowing, cheap as dirt aftermarket intake out there?

Last edited:

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Right! Why spend on a larger intercooler when the factory one does fine if you keep it wet? (That almost sounds sexual!) OK...not as good of air flow so eventually the engine will starve for air, but it will be chilly air! Besides, everyone needs a swamp cooler in their car. ;P

So back to intakes...
What's the best flowing, cheap as dirt aftermarket intake out there?

VWR drop in filter + silicone inlet hose + snow guard removed + front section drilled out. It will work fine.

Matthewpt

Ready to race!
Keeping it clean.

788D116B-D2F9-4E86-9F66-5E8CEB75D634.jpg

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Do you think this will work at stage 3 and not starve the engine? IF so...I'm game!

If I can recall correctly you weren't hardcore into modding. You're no where near stage 3 so yes for your stock GTI and even stage 2 this setup works fine.

gtigod

Passed Driver's Ed
Is this
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Volk...e/Spulen-MK7-GTI-Turbo-Inlet-Hose-SE-050.html

and this

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Volk...ies-c-975/VWR-High-Flow-Turbo-Inlet-Pipe.html

The same thing...just from different companies and at wildly different prices? Is it the hose behind the filter box? Why does one cost almost $100 more than the other? They are both silicon hose. It's the pre-flared ends. LOL

This is within my budget...$50 for a hose and and $80 for an infinitely reusable filter and some modding of my existing intake as compared to $400 for a cheap aftermarket intake that isn't closed like the factory intake is. I'm planning to go stage 3, but in steps. I can't afford to do it all at once. So if an intake mod of the factory intake and a hose will get me what I need for stage 3, then I'm game for that. I'm also looking at a better clutch since the factory DMF won't hold up past much more than stage 1. I'll be getting a down pipe and cat back and later a larger intercooler. It will all take steps every 3 or 4 months to accomplish. So far I haven't bought anything...just asked lots of questions and read lots of reviews and others comments. If I can get er done for cheap and still be good enough, then I will. If I need to spend...like on a decent exhaust...well then I'll save my nickels for those sorts of things and not spend for bling when an existing modded part will do just as well. IE: modding the factory intake, if it will work at stage 3...well that costs me next to nothing. I'm 100% into that!

Last edited:

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Yes, but don't buy anything Spulen. I had the inlet hose, inlet pipe, and charge pipes. It's all made in the sewers of.... China or some where else. I got rid of everything and didn't even attempt to sell it. That VWR silicone inlet hose will probably fit nice with the stock air box and I also had the CTS and that was a good fit.

If you're planning on going stage 3... eventually say, then you're going to need a REAL intake because that turbo needs to breathe. I felt a very noticeable difference on my setup going from the stock air box with a VWR drop in filter to the APR intake... you also have to consider that I'm boosting 25 PSI.

gtigod

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, but don't buy anything Spulen. I had the inlet hose, inlet pipe, and charge pipes. It's all made in the sewers of.... China or some where else. I got rid of everything and didn't even attempt to sell it. That VWR silicone inlet hose will probably fit nice with the stock air box and I also had the CTS and that was a good fit.

If you're planning on going stage 3... eventually say, then you're going to need a REAL intake because that turbo needs to breathe. I felt a very noticeable difference on my setup going from the stock air box with a VWR drop in filter to the APR intake... you also have to consider that I'm boosting 25 PSI.

interesting...the APR hose kit is cheaper than the spulen kit.

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Volk...75/SPULEN-MK7-GTI-Boost-Hose-Kit-SE-0511.html

Everyone like APR right?

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion