GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Show Us Your Intake!

gtigod

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll get an open intake and then seal it to the underside of the hood and then post pics. It will work exactly as well as a closed intake.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
My cts sure didn't even though it was sealed. The multi piece design definitely didn't keep heat out. I went closed and felt it almost immediately.

gtigod

Passed Driver's Ed
My cts sure didn't even though it was sealed. The multi piece design definitely didn't keep heat out. I went closed and felt it almost immediately.

Did your new intake have insulation around it? I wonder if your other filter was partly clogged or just didn't flow as well. If the box around the filter is open, then yeah air from where ever is going to get sucked into the intake. If it is all closed up so only outside air gets in, then whether it's an enclosed box or up against the bottom of the hood, shouldn't matter. It can't pull air from anyplace but outside.

The real test of "keeping heat out" is to have a temperature sensor at the back side of the air filter. Which ever option is providing the coolest air right behind the filter wins the coolest air award. Then we need an anemometer in line in the intake pipe to measure actual CFM. Which ever has the highest CFM on the same motor with the same tune at the same motor RPM wins the air flow award. Take those two measurements...temp and CFM and then whichever intake does the best at both is the overall winner. If I had a load of money to buy every intake there is, I could do these tests and that would separate opinion from fact from perceived "best".

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
It didn't seal when I got it so I added weather stripping. I wanted to use your rmethid too, but I took readings with my heat gun and of course all the aluminum was always way hotter than the carbon fiber. Sitting in traffic the car was a dog until I got moving again.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
I'll get an open intake and then seal it to the underside of the hood and then post pics. It will work exactly as well as a closed intake.

if you seal it against the hood, yes. if you put it in like it is from manufacturer factory, it probably won't seal. unless you have the IE one.

gtigod

Passed Driver's Ed
It didn't seal when I got it so I added weather stripping. I wanted to use your rmethid too, but I took readings with my heat gun and of course all the aluminum was always way hotter than the carbon fiber. Sitting in traffic the car was a dog until I got moving again.

Yeah that's a good point. Aluminum is a great heat conductor. Any metal box is going to conduct heat pretty well. So then a CF or plastic box is going to be better than a metal one. I wonder about possibly adding 1/4" aluminized foam sheet. A reflective surface on the outside of the box is going to bounce away heat and then a thin layer of insulation behind that will help keep whatever leaks through from getting in the box. It like having a mylar sheet over your intake box.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
I thought of doing this as well. But I also worried if it did actually heat soak how long would it remain hot if it's insulated on one side. That's why I gave up and went plastic 034 which sucked so now I have the forge Intake.

gtigod

Passed Driver's Ed
I thought of doing this as well. But I also worried if it did actually heat soak how long would it remain hot if it's insulated on one side. That's why I gave up and went plastic 034 which sucked so now I have the forge Intake.

With reflective alunimized insulation board, it probably wont heat soak very much at all and then the actual metal box inside should stay much closer to actual outside air temps...whatever they are. Of course if you live in a hot climate like Phoenix in the summer...well open or closed or just suck hot air right off the exhaust manifold probably wont make much of a difference.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
If you guys have a IC + water-meth you wouldn't have to worry about heat soak and reflective tape and all that... just saying :p

gtigod

Passed Driver's Ed
If you guys have a IC + water-meth you wouldn't have to worry about heat soak and reflective tape and all that... just saying :p

Just making sure I'm speaking the same language as you...
You are talking about an intercooler and then switching the car over to methanol?

We are talking about doing a cheap high flowing intake and not spending tons of money AND having it still provide cool air. I think everything you suggested is going to add WAAAAAY more cost than even the most expensive intake ever will. To switch to methanol will require some kind of new sensor, probably a new ECU, larger fuel pump, larger injectors, larger fuel rail, larger turbo and so on...and unless you can get an ECU capable of dealing with E85 and gas and combinations of both, then after that the car is going to be limited to just E85 after that. For a track car, that sounds fine. For a DD...not so much.

Did I miss anything? Personally I want more performance, but I also don't want to spend zillions to get it. I'm doing these upgrades on a budget.

Pingers

Ready to race!
Just making sure I'm speaking the same language as you...
You are talking about an intercooler and then switching the car over to methanol?

We are talking about doing a cheap high flowing intake and not spending tons of money AND having it still provide cool air. I think everything you suggested is going to add WAAAAAY more cost than even the most expensive intake ever will. To switch to methanol will require some kind of new sensor, probably a new ECU, larger fuel pump, larger injectors, larger fuel rail, larger turbo and so on...and unless you can get an ECU capable of dealing with E85 and gas and combinations of both, then after that the car is going to be limited to just E85 after that. For a track car, that sounds fine. For a DD...not so much.

Did I miss anything? Personally I want more performance, but I also don't want to spend zillions to get it. I'm doing these upgrades on a budget.

Coolingmist Stage 1 $330
JB4 - $430
Intercooler - $700-900

I think I also did bigger injectors and a high flo fuel pump on my last meth/water setup back in 2009. This is ball-park but I agree, this is a shitload more money than guys farting around with their intakes. :D

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Coolingmist Stage 1 $330
JB4 - $430
Intercooler - $700-900

I think I also did bigger injectors and a high flo fuel pump on my last meth/water setup back in 2009. This is ball-park but I agree, this is a shitload more money than guys farting around with their intakes. :D

You forgot to add an IS38
used $500-$600
new $800-$1000

:p

rjtrout

Go Kart Newbie
Integrated Engineering. Great finish, sound, and excellent customer service.

Looks the husiness

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk