GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Projectors into Stock Halogen Headlights

Noodile

Passed Driver's Ed
So hopefully I'm in the final leg of this build. So it's about time i made a thread to keep track of progress and as for advice. But first' here's a little background.

My Previous setups:

My first Retro ever was a quad MH1.
Second was Murano STI-r with Five5 ballasts. Since then i sold the car.

Now for the current retro in progress:

Started thinking about this retro in January of 2014 when i Got the car. The car is a 2014 Golf MK7. 1.4 Liter Turbo. Low beams are H7 halogens with Giant bowls. (big enough to fit most projectors.). Highbeams are H15. Which is a somewhat rare Dual filament bulb that has 4 functions: High Beams, DRL, City Lights (when low beams are off), and Parking Lights (when parked on a dark street).

Now the Retro itself started about a year ago. Started taking it Slow.

Got a pair of OEM PermaSeal from hell headlights. Oven doesn't work, has to be cut open.

Then got a Set of Murano HID projectors with STI-R clear Lenses and some Koito Bulbs.

Followed by some 3Five ballasts as backups (still need to get an igniter, hopefully TRS gets some B-stock, if not, i might just shell out full price on them).

Then:

- Boosted Densos by Paleryder
- X5 LED Fog lights
-Morimoto D2S 5500K bulbs
-2x E46r Shrouds
-2x harnesses
-4x HD resistors
-1 set of Canbus harness.
- 1 X change driver
-Retrorubber
-Headlight caps

So far accomplished. Both Headlights opened. Bowls Cut and both projectors mounted.

Soon (this coming weekend or next): Will cut open the highbeam bowls to install the X5 Fogs (mainly for looks)

Still need advice to figure out:

-The PITA wirirng mess that I have to go through to avoid Bulb Errors on Highs, LOWS, and DRLs. as well as installing Xchange drivers in order to maintain the X5 fogs as DRLs and Parking lights.
-Way to extra secure the lights when sealed. Thinking some Drifters Stitch method in a couple of spots with a couple of dabs of silicon.

Over the Next couple of Days I'll be updating with pictures.

Here are a few for now.

Headlights:

Headlight 2 by ramytarek, on Flickr
Headlight by ramytarek, on Flickr

Headlight by ramytarek, on Flickr

Perma Hell

Perma Hell by ramytarek, on Flickr

Testing Fit, Mounting, and Aiming:

Mock Fit by ramytarek, on Flickr

Too Much JB Weld by ramytarek, on Flickr

Test Fitting by ramytarek, on Flickr

Boosted Densos:

Boosted Denso by ramytarek, on Flickr

I got inspired by TRSANDREW for the X5 Fogs. My initial plan was either LED Murano Low Beams, or G35 HID Projectors. I really didn't want to go through the pain of fitting them:

Inspiration From Andrew by ramytarek, on Flickr

And here's a quick pic of my old retro, not perfectly aligned, but i loved it. JNC method. This retro if my first time with JB weld.

11856287_10153409036725202_1773050693241040135_o by ramytarek, on Flickr

ReflexxMK7

Ready to race!
Well, you answered one of my bigger questions. Permaseal sucketh thy large spherical reproductive organs. I was hoping to fit D2S 3.0 projectors in the low beam position, but looking at your build, there may not be enough room. Those Helix housings are looking better by the moment. I do like the X5 projector in the high position, very cool!

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Are those the 2015 X5 LED fogs from TRL? They are Awesome, I got a pair from them as well, they light up very nicely but ended up selling them since the were bigger than what I needed them for. Cool project.

Noodile

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, you answered one of my bigger questions. Permaseal sucketh thy large spherical reproductive organs. I was hoping to fit D2S 3.0 projectors in the low beam position, but looking at your build, there may not be enough room. Those Helix housings are looking better by the moment. I do like the X5 projector in the high position, very cool!

More than enough space for D2S. The Muranos are one of the bigger projectors out there. You can fit 3G TL as well. as well as LS460-r. LS430 might be a tight fit. might need some measurement for it, and Q45 are def a tight fit.

Are those the 2015 X5 LED fogs from TRL? They are Awesome, I got a pair from them as well, they light up very nicely but ended up selling them since the were bigger than what I needed them for. Cool project.

yup from the retrofitsource. I got them mainly for looks and ease of installing. sure beat having to cut up for the LED muranos. Problem with those is depth

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
It looks awesome, I wonder how it would look if you black out the chrome. Looks great

JD_MK7

Ready to race!
This is exactly the reason I never retrofit permaseal lights.

Last edited:

>DEMDOE<

Why didn't you aim these before you epoxied them into the halogen reflector dish???? What a waste of time.
They are worthless aimed like that.