GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Random epc and limp mode. need help tracking.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I have had this problem happen a few times now. Naturally it happens when I am not data logging and I can not replicate it at will. At random moments, (usually at the top of 3rd, right before it shifts) the car will hesitate to shift and go to limp mode. I pull over, turn the car off, start it back and all is well. I made it 4000 miles this time since the last event, but it has happened twice in one week before. I have changed and gapped plugs, (reuths), have swapped coils from 2-3 to 1-4, checked all connections and it's still happening. I'm lost. Below is the codes it throws every time. Any help would be appreciated.

20230718_064800.jpg
20230718_064755.jpg
20230718_064751.jpg
20230718_064747.jpg
20230718_064745.jpg

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Happened again on the way home today. Was wanting to get around a really slow car on the interstate before my exit in 2 miles. So I clicked off the cruise control the same time I hit the gas. Went from 7 to 5, only about half throttle, heard the stutter then epc and limp mode. Limped it off my exit and cycled the ignition on the ramp. Cel stayed on but no limp mode. Pulled up to a gass station and checked codes. The same ones as above. Cleared codes and cel went off. Drove home hard on the twisting side roads trying to log and never happened again. This is frustrating.......

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
And again this morning merging with traffic entering the interstate. Still the same codes. I've tried different gas stations, swapping coils around, checking plugs, ......

I really wish I knew what was going on here. I have an event this weekend (streetcar takeover Bowling Green KY) and would like to know if this is just some phantom glitch or if I'm about to grenade my motor. Never happens when I am logging, so that makes it even worse.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Just hit 52k miles. Stock injectors.

Been happening randomly for the past 30k miles.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
FFS!!!!!! 3 MORE TIMES THIS WEEK!!. Pulled the coils and plugs and scoped the cylinders. The camera was shot and wouldn't save a pic to my phone so no pics of the cylinders. Attached is pics of the coils and plugs. Ruth's with 15k miles on them.

Plugs one and 2
20230809_174118.jpg

Plugs 3 and 4
20230809_174112.jpg

Coils
20230809_174125.jpg

20230809_174128.jpg

Calling the spark plug king @Diggs24 !!!!!

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
It's not the plugs or coils, most likely . What setup are you running? Try adding some ethanol to your gas to see if makes a difference. Also, check your grounds and battery.

You drive normally, all of a sudden epc and it hides a cylinder and car runs like dog shit?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I have tried adding 1 gallon of ethanol amd swapped Gas stations. I drive prety normal, but it hits the epc and goes limp mode when I am wot. Usually around 5500 to 6k rpm. Typically in 3rd gear, but happened in 2nd today. New battery last month coded in with obdeleven. Just checked the coil grounds and coil connections today again. I'll be making a coil ground set and getting bolts soon. I'm at a loss for now though. Last time I pulled my coils and plugs it made it 4k miles before it did it again.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
It happens so random I can't ever catch it while logging. I'd love to see what's happening during this event. Car has 54k miles on it now. Would carbon buildup contribute to this problem?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I'll pull some logs tomorrow for baseline. Would the cobb app or obd11 be better for the logs?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
ok, i hope i did this right. @Diggs24 if you need something different done let me know. i haven't figured out how to change the logging parameters yet.