GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Photo comparison of 235/40 vs. 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Spot on Stock Austins

jjm51

Ready to race!
Hmm. Ignorant implies I was wrong.. was I wrong

no. ignorant does not mean you are wrong in the way i meant it. means you 'don't know/lack wisdom.' this could be due to lack of experience, knowledge, etc.

i am ignorant about many many things. :D

i think i read too much into your prior post probably.

again; these michelin pss' are such a better tire in all ways compared to the stock tires, i just felt i needed to reply to what you wrote. i'll be more careful in my wording in the future.

thanks for the reply to my post.

let's give this thread back to napadirt. waiting to hear how these tires are treating his gti...

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
As they are your tires you can run any psi you want in them.
However, keep this in mind. Tires are designed an developed to run a set air pressure
All tire gauges(thickness) and foot print shape are developed using that pressure. All testing is done using that pressure.
If you increase pressure you will change foot print and may increase wear on center of the tire. If you reduce pressure you can increase heat in the tire due to larger contact patch. In long runs it can increase rolling resistance and if heat is high enough for a long enough period and under a heavy load, you can cause tire to seperate.
Run the pressure posted on door jam.
If you want more grip or better mileage then buy different tires for that purpose and run the correct air pressure.
My 2 cents.:cool:

Last edited:

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
thanks so very much for this napadirt

as i told you i will be doing the same exact thing. just adding 18 x 8 oem wheels

i have never modded a car in almost 40 years of driving, but i am thinking (maybe) a slight drop (dg springs, vwr, or neuspeed.)

You are welcomed John! Glad it was helpful. Good luck with your new wheels/tires. These Michelin PSS transform the way the car drives. Not just more grip.

You might consider tracking your car with professional driving instruction. That's the safest way to enjoy your car and improve your driving skills. I am not familar with driving schools in SoCal, but I imagine there are some good ones.

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
Our car came with Continentals (made in Germany, see?).
FWIW if you wanted more grip you could have let 2psi out of each tyre for a lot less money.. :)

Our cars came with Italian Pirelli tires made in Mexico, and I just installed French Michelin tires made in Alabama. LOL

This thread was not created to bash Pirelli. These Allseason tires are a good all around tire, they just aren't the type of performance summer tire I am looking for. They are actually more expensive new than the Michelin PSS!

All the major tire companies make good performance tires: Continental, Bridgestrone, Yokahama, Toyo, Nitto, Purelli, Michelin/BFGoodrich...

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
I got my GTI the weekend before out fall autox enduro race. I wanted a baseline time for my car so I raced it with an APR tune on the all-seasons.

lets say that it didn't go well... The Pirelli's suck. The ESC not being defeated at the time sucked worse. The two together = embarrassment.

4&5 blah blah blah... lol.. My car is anything but a buttery comfy ride. Just the way I like it :D. I have learned to adapt to these new e-steering cars, so it really doesn't affect me referring back to my #1.

I don't believe good handling and good ride quality are mutually exclusive. I am looking for balance. At some point, an overly stiff ride, that gives the impression of performance, actually drives worse than a more compliant suspension.

I can imagine that AutoX with ESC and the Pirelli's was frustrating. Aggressive driving coupled with aggressive ESC is probably a good way to overheat your brakes!

I am adjusting to the electronic power steering. The steering wheel feels like a video game. I don't understand why EPS can't be designed to provide some road feel?

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
I don't believe good handling and good ride quality are mutually exclusive. I am looking for balance. At some point, an overly stiff ride, that gives the impression of performance, actually drives worse than a more compliant suspension.

I can imagine that AutoX with ESC and the Pirelli's was frustrating. Aggressive driving coupled with aggressive ESC is probably a good way to overheat your brakes!

I am adjusting to the electronic power steering. The steering wheel feels like a video game. I don't understand why EPS can't be designed to provide some road feel?

Napadirt, you should consider changing your springs/dumpers with the Ohlins coilover Road & Track. They were released a couple of months ago. I found them on an Italian site (at €3200 they are quite expensive though). Add a mild sway bar upgrade in both axles (the 26mm/22mm of H&R for example which require no maintenance) and you are ready to go everywhere (road or track) with a comfortable (not stock comfortable though) ride. Then you PSS will work to the maximum and wear less in the process.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
It's funny that you mentioned that they "reduced" body roll. I think what is happening is that the new tires have a stiffer sidewall so the sidewall isn't rolling over and it gives a better bite to the ground quicker than the old tires.

Body roll is independent of the tires. It's a function of the suspension design, spring rates, shock valving and sway bars along with center of gravity. Body roll is a reference to the load transfer of a vehicle towards the outside of a turn. When a vehicle is fitted with a suspension package, it works to keep the wheels or tracks in contact with the road, providing grip for the driver of the vehicle to control its direction. This suspension is compliant to some degree, allowing the vehicle body, which sits upon the suspension, to lean in the direction of the perceived centrifugal force acting upon the car. Anti-roll bars are a part of the suspension specifically designed to address body roll.

RaysMK7GTI

Ready to race!
It's funny that you mentioned that they "reduced" body roll. I think what is happening is that the new tires have a stiffer sidewall so the sidewall isn't rolling over and it gives a better bite to the ground quicker than the old tires.

Body roll is independent of the tires. It's a function of the suspension design, spring rates, shock valving and sway bars along with center of gravity. Body roll is a reference to the load transfer of a vehicle towards the outside of a turn. When a vehicle is fitted with a suspension package, it works to keep the wheels or tracks in contact with the road, providing grip for the driver of the vehicle to control its direction. This suspension is compliant to some degree, allowing the vehicle body, which sits upon the suspension, to lean in the direction of the perceived centrifugal force acting upon the car. Anti-roll bars are a part of the suspension specifically designed to address body roll.

+1...well said!!

The Messiah

Ready to race!
Yes the ride is slightly stiffer, but it's not a harsh ride by any means. Bumps on the road are now very much part of driving experience. Road noise however isn't any louder.

These tires completely transformed the personality of the car. It now drives like a "sports car", instead of a "sporty hatch". I find it somewhat surprising that tires can have this large of an effect on the car.
Napa, thx for doing this. I am in the process of looking for summer tires. The PSS seems to be popping up everywhere. I specifically wanted to know how it will affect wheel spin or acceleration from a dig. I have a Eurodyne Stage I tune and through 3rd gear it's just wheel spin. I can't even think of getting on the gas too much.

Golfn88

I'll take the award for most improved mk7.

jbl911

Passed Driver's Ed
Most of these differences are from the actual PSS tire, not the 10mm difference in width. I installed 225's, and agree w all. The sensation of body roll is less, since turn in and responsiveness is improved. The stiff sidewall and soft tire shoulders make a big difference. You can feel the pss' s grip more and more as you load the tires in a corner and use the softer compound shoulders.

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan

Funny? Why?

Suspension doesn't end at the axles. It starts at the driver's body and ends at the tire contact patches. Tires are in fact an integral component of vehicle suspension.

I felt less body roll, because there was less body roll. This is due to tire construction, as I described in a prior post in this thread. The physics are of course different from what an anti-roll bar does. Tire function is more analogous to a spring/damper.

Don't believe that tires are an intergral part of suspension? Take a look at Formula 1 tires. Those tall side walls do substantial work for the chassis's suspension. Changing to shorter sidewalls, as is being discussed, requires a redesigned suspension.

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114907

Last edited:

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Yes of course. Absolute body roll would be a function of both suspension and tyres, and in the case of the tyres changing the sidewall height and stiffness would be relevant, as would changing the tyre pressure. Not to mention the design of the tread pattern and the actual DEPTH of that tread.
How much you'd really notice it is a bit open to debate, it's probably barely measurable and very open to interpretation and, let's be honest here, placebo.
I find it surprising to think that VW would make a significantly poor choice of default tyre for such a powerful car, and wonder if it's really about personal preference as much as anything though.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Funny? Why?

Suspension doesn't end at the axles. It starts at the driver's body and ends at the tire contact patches. Tires are in fact an integral component of vehicle suspension.

I felt less body roll, because there was less body roll. This is due to tire construction, as I described in a prior post in this thread. The physics are of course different from what an anti-roll bar does. Tire function is more analogous to a spring/damper.

Don't believe that tires are an intergral part of suspension? Take a look at Formula 1 tires. Those tall side walls do substantial work for the chassis's suspension. Changing to shorter sidewalls, as is being discussed, requires a redesigned suspension.

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114907

You're mixing modes here a little bit. An F1 suspension is nothing like our street cars at all.

Just read these two articles. They're pretty good in explaining how to benefit from wider/grippier tires and then reducing body roll.
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...ion-and-Handling-Part-1-Wheels-and-Tires.aspx

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...-Handling-Part-2-Controlling-Body-Motion.aspx