GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Opinion on EQT vs Stratified?

swifty1

Ready to race!
Okay, I'm going for a cobb accessport and tune for my 17 GTI sport and I'm deciding between Stratified and EQT. Now, lately the internet has blown up with love for eqt, which is what I was going to buy, but I have heard that stratified is also good and potentially cheaper and faster. And what about sneekytuned or 5150?

Can anybody who knows let me know if there's much difference between the brands?

zslaby1010

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay, I'm going for a cobb accessport and tune for my 17 GTI sport and I'm deciding between Stratified and EQT. Now, lately the internet has blown up with love for eqt, which is what I was going to buy, but I have heard that stratified is also good and potentially cheaper and faster. And what about sneekytuned or 5150?

Can anybody who knows let me know if there's much difference between the brands?

I currently have a stage 1 EQT tune. It came on a used accessport that I purchased. I daily drive my car with an occasional weekly pull. I love the power of it, it’s great knowing that it’s there. The most knock I’ve had is .75, which is awesome. The customer support has been extremely helpful. Definitely lives up to the hype!
I’m Not sure how it will fair for turbo reliability and have been wondering the same question. I’m concerned that it’s running 29psi peak on the is20 it just seems like a lot compared to stock. I’m sure it’s putting more strain on the turbo (I’m just an average joe I’m sure they know what they’re doing) That’s my only concern with EQT.

It’s off topic but curious to what the other tuners (sneeky,5150,etc) are peaking the is20 at. Wondering if it would be smart to get something with slightly less peak boost ensure more reliability for the turbo. Or maybe the 28-30psi range is normal for a stage 1 tune? 🤷‍♂️

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
I ended up with EQT but had Stratified on the short list. Have been extremely happy with EQT. You will find a lot of EQT fans on here.

Passed on 5150 due to long long lead times on custom tuning and shadiness, like not telling you his shop address unless you were dyno tuning. My PM conversations with him when asking questions often got ignored too. Just didnt get a good vibe.

Hear good things about Sneaky but never really looked into them.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I currently have a stage 1 EQT tune.

It’s off topic but curious to what the other tuners (sneeky,5150,etc) are peaking the is20 at. Wondering if it would be smart to get something with slightly less peak boost ensure more reliability for the turbo. Or maybe the 28-30psi range is normal for a stage 1 tune? 🤷‍♂️
That peak happens for a split second, on a log you’ll see it’s really only hitting 27 at your peak TQ range for like 500-1000 rpms and then it’s quickly tapering down as the rpms rise.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Haven't had a Stratified ECU tune but I have had their DSG tune and the EQT DSG tune is way better.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

They’re all in that range. It’s totally fine, is20 can handle it. The two top custom tuners, EQT and 5150, are both in the same ballpark. EQT seems to run a bit more timing up top than 5150, with 5150 running a bit more boost up top

FrankieThissen

Car(s)
'20 GTI S 6spd
I had a stratified tune on my Focus ST. They were the guys for OTS tunes on the ST platforms. Their customer service and datalog reviews went above and beyond on my opinion.

Seems like EQT is the guy for this platform as he gets the most attention across the board. Don't think you can go wrong with either one, just make sure you feel comfortable with the situation when interacting with them. Goes for all tuners in general, if your questions get ignored or sidestepped then I'd feel uncomfortable letting someone tune my car.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I have had both. I was Stratified tuned when I was stage 2 and I switched to EQT when I went FBO and big turbo. Stratified was good, and they had great customer service. I really enjoyed their “2-3 revision” feature they offered with their stage tunes. I feel like this struck the perfect balance between custom tune and OTS tune. Their tune was smooth and powerful enough for me. It gave me a noticeable kick above the custom map 6 JB4 I was running beforehand. My only complaint is that the tune seemed to knock more than I wanted. I never had any real issues, but it did concern me and factored into my decision to go with EQT.

EQT is good. No need to sing their praise here. I shall save my keystrokes.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Had both and will echo the same sentiment. E30 tunes for Stage 2, Strat was decent, but really had a lot of knock. Even after 4 revisions. EQT was very smooth with almost no knock and more timing. Helped a bit with Beta on EQT E30 GTI Stage 2 when in development, and Ed only made one small correction from the baseline. It and the EQT DSG tune totally transformed the car. Given the choice again, it would be EQT.