GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil pan leak

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I have a steel oil pan that is leaking around 3 bolts. It's been on for >10K miles. It's not gushing but needs to be addressed.

Any words of wisdom on trying to re-use it? I used the sealant pretty sparingly (1/8" bead if I recall) but not sure how easy the lip could bend if I have to pry it off...and then I have another problem.

I also read the review here: https://www.shopdap.com/mk7-gti-golf-r-steel-oil-pan.html and the guy bought a Federal Mogul gasket pn OS30821 vs. sealant?

I would rather not deal with sealant again if I can help it...but hadn't heard of this before.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

nate704

Go Kart Champion
so seems like the seal is broken around those bolts. The pan needs to be dropped either way and needs to be inspected for any bends or imperfections at the mating area. As long as the metioned gasket is rated for the application, I would use the gasket over the sealant for ease of use and less hassle to clean up if you have to take of off again later.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
I have the steel pan and used the paper/foam gasket that the earlier TSIs used with no issues so far. Just make sure you don't over torque the gasket and it should last a while

wave

Ready to race!
I have the exact same thing going on right now. Just like OP, about 10k miles on steel pan, used the sealant, have numerous leaks. Everything was installed and torqued to spec.
Calkulin, do you have a part number for that TSI gasket? Or anyone else?

nate704

Go Kart Champion
The leak issue with steel pan might be related to different thermal expansion/contraction rate between the block and the steel pan. That might be the culprit, so keeping or switching back to OEM plastic one doesn't seem like bad idea after all.