GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil or Coolant leak help

Pdotc

Ready to race!
So some time ago I noticed I had to top off the oil earlier than usual took it to the dealer and was advised it was within spec. some time went by and I noticed the issue again took it in and of course no issue. So recently about a month or two ago got the low oil light about 200 miles after a new oil change and thought this is very odd. Took it to VW to look at along with a rattling steering wheel no feed back on oil but was quoted like $1500 for the wheel because now I am out of warranty. Took it to a local shop who gave it a quick once over with nothing visible but read a few threads mentioning the oil sensor. So we ended up changing the sensor and doing a fresh oil change with Fuchs 5w40 and immediately no issues to report.

I should mention this entire time the car has driven absolutely fine with no real issues besides the low oil and the occasional coolant light, and when I would get the oil light and I would check the dipstick it would sometimes disappear. I drove a bit spirited for the first few days and had no issues until I reached about almost 700 miles then oil light again, I went ahead and topped off and everything seemed fin for another 200 miles or so. Then the other day I was driving and noticed a smell from the vents can't really say if it is an oil smell or coolant but it was bad. Have been in contact with VW over twitter expressing my concerns since I went in for this issue specifically and nothing was found so they escalated "whatever that is worth" and I was told to make an appointment.

Yesterday I was driving and noticed the smell again and this time I saw some light smoke coming from the hood so I checked it immediately to see if I can pinpoint it and seemed to be coming from the back of the engine by the down pipe turbo area. I attached a video and pics. Does anyone have any advice or input on this? could the coolant issue also cause the oil issue or vice versa?

Attachments

• File_000 (1).png
    File_000 (1).png
    3.1 MB · Views: 302
  • File_000.png
    File_000.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1124.jpg
    IMG_1124.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 205

Pdotc

Ready to race!
Well with the way my luck runs I would not be suprised.

Update went out today to go to the store and got in the car to get the Coolant error message. Got out and check and the coolant was way low and I had a black spot under the car.

My appointment with the dealer isn't til March 3rd for a loaner, but don't know what else changed in the two days I didn't drive it.

Attachments

• B33319A6-C459-485A-AAFC-6243AD85662D.jpeg
    B33319A6-C459-485A-AAFC-6243AD85662D.jpeg
    954.1 KB · Views: 245
  • E90EE6F1-FD43-4AC4-9C63-F6B2E8EA286C.jpeg
    E90EE6F1-FD43-4AC4-9C63-F6B2E8EA286C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 104
  • B46A367B-9702-414F-B1B9-20EB24BBCB0B.jpeg
    B46A367B-9702-414F-B1B9-20EB24BBCB0B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 159
  • 48DA1189-CAF6-4840-831C-DB6969A1F7CD.jpeg
    48DA1189-CAF6-4840-831C-DB6969A1F7CD.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 92
  • 442D2EDF-7FD8-447E-A0C6-0640F9F73A02.jpeg
    442D2EDF-7FD8-447E-A0C6-0640F9F73A02.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 118

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Update went out today to go to the store and got in the car to get the Coolant error message. Got out and check and the coolant was way low and I had a black spot under the car.

My appointment with the dealer isn't til March 3rd for a loaner, but don't know what else changed in the two days I didn't drive it.

Sorry to hear. If there were large temp fluctuations, frozen to hot. I could see it getting worse.

Just keep it topped up until your appointment.

JoyBoy

Car(s)
Toyota
Coolant leaks might not seem like a big deal, but it could create a hazardous situation for your car's engine. Without the proper amount of antifreeze, your engine could overheat (or freeze in winter months). Because it plays such a critical role in how well your engine runs, coolant should be checked regularly

Black&WhiteGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 GTI '92 Miata
FWIW I have had to top up the coolant twice in the last 3 years specifically in the somewhat colder months. No noticeable leaks or drips on the ground and the engine bay looks dry.

Pdotc

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear. If there were large temp fluctuations, frozen to hot. I could see it getting worse.

Just keep it topped up until your appointment.
Yeah I luckily had some collant on hand so I filled it up and I will check it again today. Don't really want to drive it like that either cause smoke is coming up from under the hood. I'm going to see if I can get a earlier appointment if not the local guy says he can look at it on Tuesday.

Pdotc

Ready to race!
Coolant leaks might not seem like a big deal, but it could create a hazardous situation for your car's engine. Without the proper amount of antifreeze, your engine could overheat (or freeze in winter months). Because it plays such a critical role in how well your engine runs, coolant should be checked regularly
Thanks I put some in last night and will buy another bottle or two today. It was not leaking before but I guess something changed. Do you think this could have been affecting my oil as well?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

Those are easy fixes. EMD makes a billet part that replaces the plastic one, in picture 5, which is a common leak point.

https://www.emdauto.com/products/emd-auto-billet-coolant-adapter-for-mqb-2-0t-e888-3

gdub09

Ready to race!
Looks like your coolant gasket is leaking. Easy replacement