GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New owner "stupid discovery" thread

Bowser

Ready to race!
Drawer under driver seat.

What do you store/carry in that drawer? I've got a couple of CDs in mine, but it isn't perfect for those. Both the armrest bin and the underseat drawer strike me as oddly proportioned - at least for the kinds of things I'm likely to carry.

I am happy to use CDs, so was pleased the GTI came with one. But the glovebox location, and the lack of good storage for CDs (they fit perfectly in all my old Toyotas/Subarus) was a bit of a disappointment. Guess this old luddite will have to larn up on them SB cards - whatever they are!

Another new thing I learned this a.m. - not to park in my favorite space under the tree at my local golf course. Couldn't wait to get home to wipe off that purple bird shit! Oh well - I can imagine worse ways to spend a hot Sunday afternoon than washing my GTI in my driveway! :cool:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
USA cars don't come with remote windows. And there is already a huge thread for the subject of unknown and unrecognized features. OP, if you spent 5 minutes on the forum you would see it.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I had my car for sometime before I realized there is an inner hand hold to close the latch so you do not have dirty your fingers on the outside of hatch. Should of seen it earlier as there is pictogram of the hold.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I could never drive based on the gear recommendation indicator. That indicator sucks and it's clearly geared for fuel economy.

Bowser

Ready to race!
I could never drive based on the gear recommendation indicator. That indicator sucks and it's clearly geared for fuel economy.

I appreciate that this might be an extremely valid position, but I would appreciate an explanation of what benefit you derive from driving differently, rather than simply observing that the indicator "sucks."

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I appreciate that this might be an extremely valid position, but I would appreciate an explanation of what benefit you derive from driving differently, rather than simply observing that the indicator "sucks."

Benefit - not bogging down engine with low rpms. I tried following those numbers a few times and it wants me to shift to 6th at 40mph on a flat road...it's rather idiotic.
I'll gladly sacrifice some fuel economy but operate at a bit higher engine speed and not having to downshift as often.

DoctorKB

Passed Driver's Ed
SRGTD - the manual does say that the shifting is economy based, and the shifts were quite a bit earlier than I was doing. But they seemed smooth nevertheless. What exactly do you mean by "labour (labor - this side of the pond ;)) the engine"? I figure eventually I won't use either that or the tach as directives, but it is a nice tool as I figure out how I prefer to shift for my driving.

(slight correction - only the bastardized American English removes the "u" from labour, neighbour, colour, and harbour. The rest of us folks on this side of the pond use it as it should be used.)

In my TDI, the shift indicator will actually suggest shifting so early that I'm not in the torque band for continued acceleration. I tend to take it with a grain of salt. If I'm not wanting to accelerate any time soon (and not expecting to decelerate), then it's a decent indicator. If it indicates I should shift up by two gears, it's probably safe to at least do one upshift. Also, if it *ever* suggests down shifting, it should be adhered to... you're likely at risk of stalling.

Mpowerd

Here is something I just learned after 4 GTI's - convenience opening. I've seen it in the MFI and never knew what it does. Until now. Unlock your car then open your door. Press and hold the drivers window switch down. If your convenience setting is 'all windows' it will lower all the windows and vent your sunroof (if you have one)! It's awesome on hot summer days here in NA where we don't get that feature on our key fob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobie411

Passed Driver's Ed
... you can access your albums directly using a "coverflow" type of scrolling. Tap the album art for the song currently playing, and you will get a cascade of cover art, which you can scroll either direction through to go directly to another album...

Now that is pretty cool! I didn't know about it [emoji1303]

I had my MK7 over a year before I found the little storage compartment under the light switch.

My dealer pointed out the rear hatch handle first thing. Also the trunk floor height adjustment and hatch cover storage. Nifty.

Mine doesn't have under-seat storage box. *sad*

Most other little discoveries or annoyances have been added or remedied with obd11.