GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTD owner from Northern Ireland

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
Maybe a blessing in disguise, the wheels are a lot more expensive.
You going to change your wing mirror colour? I have cf on mine, I think the cf or black makes a nice difference. Probably the easiest but one of the most effective changes to do too

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
That looks great with those alloys on it and the colour of the rims is spot on with the blue its hard to beat anthracite alloys for the uk

Thanks. I'm not into car modding (too old for that sort of thing! :D), but would always change the diamond cut alloys for I nice set of powder coated alloys.

StevoM81

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK8 GTI
Thanks. I'm not into car modding (too old for that sort of thing! :D), but would always change the diamond cut alloys for I nice set of powder coated alloys.

lol yea am the same i can't be bothered anymore with modding, but i agree with the diamond cut wheels. My wheels at present our in great condition but after a winter or two they will need a good powder coat

StevoM81

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK8 GTI
Maybe a blessing in disguise, the wheels are a lot more expensive.
You going to change your wing mirror colour? I have cf on mine, I think the cf or black makes a nice difference. Probably the easiest but one of the most effective changes to do too

Was looking at changing them to carbon before i bought the car but once i got it i quite liked it with the white caps. Also i heard that the carbon starts to peel after a year or 2 but they do look good. How long have you had the carbon mirrors and were did you get them from.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Maybe I've been lucky but my diamond cut GTD wheels are in still in perfect condition, with no corrosion and no curb rash. The car is 3.5 years old and spent a lot of time on roads where Salt/Grit is used extensively over the winter months.

StevoM81 - I see you've gone from A3 SLine to Golf GTD, how different are they as I am about to go the other way - Golf GTD to A3 SLine Is there anything that stands out as being better or worse on each car ?

StevoM81

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK8 GTI
Maybe I've been lucky but my diamond cut GTD wheels are in still in perfect condition, with no corrosion and no curb rash. The car is 3.5 years old and spent a lot of time on roads where Salt/Grit is used extensively over the winter months.

StevoM81 - I see you've gone from A3 SLine to Gol GTDf, how different are they as I am about to go the other way - Golf GTD to A3 SLine Is there anything that stands out as being better or worse on each car ?

The A3 does feel to have a better build quality inside but you don't get as many extras as standard compared to the GTD. I have also noticed the doors don't seem as heavy on the GTD compared to the A3 but this is down to the hinge as the A3 feels nicer when closing, seems more solid. Both are greats cars and i do like my Audi's but i fancied a change and have never had a VW. So far the GTD is great and looks better on the outside more sporty i think.

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
Was looking at changing them to carbon before i bought the car but once i got it i quite liked it with the white caps. Also i heard that the carbon starts to peel after a year or 2 but they do look good. How long have you had the carbon mirrors and were did you get them from.
Unfortunately it's true if they aren't real cf, I got mine off eBay for £70, replacement covers, my originals are in the boot, it was prob atleast a year ago. Between the sheaths it's just fading away to I'm guessing the undercoat, in my case it's fading to white, especially at the edges, close up looks terrible, from a distance still looks good but you need to be close to see the cf so it sort of defeats the point. I prefer the cf because it does look better but that is probably because I see it close up everyday. I might just go to black when I'm replacing them though to save the headache. So unless you get real cf or you're okay replacing them every year then go black, or you could just 3m wrap your own. I have 3m black on the roof and it still holding up aswell today as it was when I put it on

danielmckendry

Ready to race!

StevoM81 - I see you've gone from A3 SLine to Golf GTD, how different are they as I am about to go the other way - Golf GTD to A3 SLine Is there anything that stands out as being better or worse on each car ?
You should see mine.... if I get a chance I clean an area and upload a photo!

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
The A3 does feel to have a better build quality inside but you don't get as many extras as standard compared to the GTD. I have also noticed the doors don't seem as heavy on the GTD compared to the A3 but this is down to the hinge as the A3 feels nicer when closing, seems more solid. Both are greats cars and i do like my Audi's but i fancied a change and have never had a VW. So far the GTD is great and looks better on the outside more sporty i think.

I can't deny that Audi is more expensive than VW. The Autohold that comes on every Golf as standard equipment is a £75 option on the latest A3. Fortunately I managed a 15% discount on the A3 so with similar options, virtual cockpit etc the price came out about the same as a GTD.

I've always had VW, this was my 3rd Golf in a row. While all 3 have been great cars I also fancied a change. The Mrs has had 2 Up! and currently has Polo so I'm not deserting VW all together.

StevoM81

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK8 GTI
Unfortunately it's true if they aren't real cf, I got mine off eBay for £70, replacement covers, my originals are in the boot, it was prob atleast a year ago. Between the sheaths it's just fading away to I'm guessing the undercoat, in my case it's fading to white, especially at the edges, close up looks terrible, from a distance still looks good but you need to be close to see the cf so it sort of defeats the point. I prefer the cf because it does look better but that is probably because I see it close up everyday. I might just go to black when I'm replacing them though to save the headache. So unless you get real cf or you're okay replacing them every year then go black, or you could just 3m wrap your own. I have 3m black on the roof and it still holding up aswell today as it was when I put it on

Was reading all about this over a few forums and this is what put me of. Painting them black is probably a better idea and then you know they won't discolour. For me am actually happy with them being white.

StevoM81

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK8 GTI
I can't deny that Audi is more expensive than VW. The Autohold that comes on every Golf as standard equipment is a £75 option on the latest A3. Fortunately I managed a 15% discount on the A3 so with similar options, virtual cockpit etc the price came out about the same as a GTD.

I've always had VW, this was my 3rd Golf in a row. While all 3 have been great cars I also fancied a change. The Mrs has had 2 Up! and currently has Polo so I'm not deserting VW all together.

You won't go wrong with Audi, lovely cars and well built. At some point i will own another Audi but for now am happy with VW

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
Have you also got diamond cut alloys Daniel?
Yea the serron alloys, they are destroyed by, it's like a sort of corrosion of the facing but it's not corrosion, I just keep them dirty now so you can't see it. Really not a great look though

StevoM81

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK8 GTI
Yea the serron alloys, they are destroyed by, it's like a sort of corrosion of the facing but it's not corrosion, I just keep them dirty now so you can't see it. Really not a great look though

Yea they are really nice wheels, maybe a refurb in the future is what you need. I am going to get mine done in a year or 2 depending when they start to go. There is a place in carrickfergus called Nu-Luk wheels and they are amazing, used them before, they do cost a little more but the wheels you get back are better than when they were new. Definately going to go with a light gunmetal shade all over on my wheels as diamond cut is a real pain, look great when new tho.

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
Yea i think there's a refurb shop just 5 mins from my home, haven't had a proper look, prefer to get new wheels and tyres but might just have to look into the refurb for now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk