GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NCCAR Event September

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I just signed up for a TT weekend at
NCCAR September 9-10. I found out about the event from a guy named Rob Wilmoth. Anyone else going or want to go?
Really looking forward to getting on a real track. When I was at Darlington my car was stage 1 on stock suspension and worn out firehawks. Can’t wait to see what I can learn in a prepped car.

Last edited:

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
We'll see if I can squeeze another day in between Mid Ohio in August and Fastivus at the end of September. I haven't been to NCCAR since 2018 in my Mazda2 (before the "kink" was added inside the big end of the "peanut").

If you're planning on really pushing the car hard for 2 days for full ~20 minute sessions at NCCAR, bring 2 sets of tires. If yours are brand new, plan on needing a new set afterwards.

For anyone else looking:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2023-tt-2-nccar-scca-north-carolina-416267
FYI it's the 9th-10th, not 10-11th.0

Last edited:

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
We'll see if I can squeeze another day in between Mid Ohio in August and Fastivus at the end of September. I haven't been to NCCAR since 2018 in my Mazda2 (before the "kink" was added inside the big end of the "peanut".

If you're planning on really pushing the car hard for 2 days for full ~20 minute sessions at NCCAR, bring 2 sets of tires. If yours are brand new, plan on needing a new set afterwards.

For anyone else looking:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2023-tt-2-nccar-scca-north-carolina-416267
FYI it's the 9th-10th, not 10-11th.
Thanks for the date correction!

I guess I’ll bring my stock wheels with me to drive home on. I have about 5k mi on my ps4s tires.

ironicbadger

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 MK7.5 R EQT Stg1
@DerHase isn't kidding. These tires were basically new and have 1 NCCAR day on them as pictured. The right front in particular takes the most abuse. A second day and the tires would be completely done if they even lasted that long!

NCCAR is not a track I'll be rushing back to for this reason sadly. It's an expensive day out!

1687706637696.png

paNX2K&SE-R

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4Mo
Is the surface chip sealed? I did a track day at Talladega Gran Prix last year and it murdered tires due to some chip sealed surface, especially on the right front like above.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Don’t rain on my parade y’all! This will be my first legit track day. I did an oval track with some cones added in for turns but no real apex. I guess the lack of time for the tires to cool down is one of the factors for the tires?

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Is the surface chip sealed? I did a track day at Talladega Gran Prix last year and it murdered tires due to some chip sealed surface, especially on the right front like above.

NCCAR surface is meant to mimic normal highway asphalt because it was originally built and designed as a test facility by Lotus (in the 90s IIRC?), before being purchased by the state of NC once they bailed on the project before completion.

It is special to me because that was where I did my first HPDE in 2016 (and several afterwards). Sam and the NCCAR staff are great, but the track is pricy just to drive on. I haven’t driven since the chicane was added, but the big sweeping turn onto the front straight (when driven CCW) is the main murderer of tires.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I have nothing to add, other than for the first few glances over this forum from the main page, I thought this thread title said NASCAR. I was like wth, I'm not going in there...

ironicbadger

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 MK7.5 R EQT Stg1
Don’t rain on my parade y’all! This will be my first legit track day. I did an oval track with some cones added in for turns but no real apex. I guess the lack of time for the tires to cool down is one of the factors for the tires?

Any track day is better than no track day! Go out, have fun and melt some tires. :)

I'd highly recommend the TSCC group up at VIR in December if you can make it as well. A proper track, a group of 7-10 MQB cars and a full weekend. See you there?!

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Any track day is better than no track day! Go out, have fun and melt some tires. :)

I'd highly recommend the TSCC group up at VIR in December if you can make it as well. A proper track, a group of 7-10 MQB cars and a full weekend. See you there?!
Do you have a link for the VIR event?

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
No such thing as too many track days.
Agreed. I don’t like the thought of destroying a set of expensive tires within two days though.
VIR has always been the track I’ve wanted to drive. I went there with some friends about 12 years ago for a track daze event. I didn’t have a car on track at the time but after that event I knew that was my goal.