GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nav Pro and Discover map updates

daemon9

I see the last post in this thread was back in April, but I think my issue belongs here, so here it is:

I just bought a brand new 2015 GTI from the dealership here in Abu Dhabi and I want to update the maps on my Discover Pro. The version I have is V03959801QH0039 ROW 2015 and the current version showing on the volkswagen.de page is V03 959 800 QM ECE 2015/16.

I've downloaded the 17GB worth of files and transferred them to my Class 10 SDHC card, and when I put the card in to one of the SD card slots in my GTI and hit the system update button, it tells me that no files were found. I've tried in both FAT32 and exFAT formats, locked and unlocked, and still no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Ok, after a little more digging, I figured it out, but I've downloaded the update for the wrong region. I'm not quite sure where to get the region "RoW" update from...

Last edited:

Nyanga

Ready to race!
G19aby,

How long did it take to download into the car?
Did you have to leave the car, locked with the 2nd key, for "x" hours?

g19aby

Passed Driver's Ed
At a guess i think it took 45min. I have key less so i had the ignition on and left the door open and went back indoors. It took well over half hour to unzip it to the sd card.

s7wag

Ready to race!
are you using the original VW SD card or a replacement SD card...the SD cards are somehow coded... there is another thread somewhere I read. you'll need to format and re-load to the OEM SD card and then put back in car. I had the same issue. If you are using the OEM SD card, reformat and re-load - i.e. start again...here's a link I used for updates

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...t=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light

G7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Edit: Ok, after a little more digging, I figured it out, but I've downloaded the update for the wrong region. I'm not quite sure where to get the region "RoW" update from...

From the same site, but you pick South America. That link contains the RoW maps for the Discover Pro.

psquared2

Ready to race!
Just updated my Discovery media. As I have seen others comment, the display now shows a blank block where you should have the road number nor does it show road names. But the thing I find weird is that the announcements give the road names and they are displayed in the MFD so the information is clearly being read from the card. Some people have apparently been successful after reformatting the card and loading the data again, some more than once, and I will try this myself. But there must be a logical explanation and a better solution. Anyone got any ideas?

Peter

daltom

Passed Driver's Ed
Hadn't used my nav in anger since updating 2 weeks ago so today checked re the road numbers. I don't have them either but like psquared have correct verbal info. Have just reformatted the card, reloaded data and installed in car but still no joy! Since it took 3 hours to download to Mac don't particularly wish to start again!! Must be a glitch in VW s/w somewhere if a number of people are having similar problems. Also, this particular problem seems to a first for Discovery updates.

Has anybody out there found another solution?

With the updates, will the VW dealer do them if car is in warrantee. This is my first update since buying car in Mar 15. Came with Nov 14 nav s/w.

David

psquared2

Ready to race!
Re my post #68, I have now tried 3 times but got the same result. My mac downloads in about 30 minutes for the single download but have also tried downloading one section at a time. I even dug out my Windows laptop which took over an hour to download the files, but still the results were the same. Though not a big Satnav user and I can manage with it as is, I still find it very irritating that this problem should exist at all.

daltom

Passed Driver's Ed
Further to this problem with road numbers being absent on latest Discovery media nav update i telephoned VW customer services UK today and as expected they denied responsibility and said phone Naviq which I did. They said it was not their responsibilty in that VW AG took their basic map data, configured it for VW systems and then put it back for download. So both are denying resposibilty so I have raised a formal complaint with VW and also sent following to Naviq:

"VW Golf Discovery Nav update Nov 2015. Downloaded data several times with loading of SD card and system on 4 occasions. Each time maps do not show the road numbers - only blank rectangles. Verbal directions though are correct with the voice stating correct road numbers. On my forum web site this appears to be a frequent problem with this download. You are denying responsibility and VW UK are also. I am piggy in middle so it needs resolving. Must be a glitch in s/w so who has responsibility? It is not for me to sort this out!

Thank you.
David"

We wait and see. What a mess.
David

psquared2

Ready to race!
I may have stumbled on a solution to the missing road numbers. My car was built in December 2013 and collected in January 2014. On my earlier attempts I specified the download for a 2013 car. It occured to me that manufacturers model years bear little relation to calendar years so I downloaded the update yet again but this time selected 2014. Just put the card back in the car and all the road numbers are there.

manndegolf

Passed Driver's Ed
I downloaded the whole stack of 20 files and unzipped the one ending with .7z.001. I then copied the contents of the unzipped folder into my SD card. The system reported an error that no data is available. Can anyone point me out as to what I might have done wrongly? The time to download and unzip is crazy.

worthia

I posted a solution in a previous thread, thanks to dalton for drawing my attention to this one!

I have found that this issue regarding missing road names stems, in my case at least, from the fact that I am using a Mac to copy the files onto the SD card. Macs create additional hidden files starting with a '.' which seem to confuse the satnav and must be removed to fix the problem.

There are a few tools around to do this, personally I find HiM effective (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/52076/him). Just drag the SD card onto the HiM icon after you've copied the map files across, and it removes all the rogue mac hidden files an the road & street name text is restored

To test this, I've just copied the Nov'2015 update onto the SD card, put it in straight in the car without cleaning up the hidden files and no street names were showing. I removed the card, dropped it onto the HiM app to clean it, put it straight back in the car and all the street names appeared correctly. :)

If my theory is correct, it would only be mac or Linux users who have experienced this issue?

Hope this helps someone out there!

psquared2

Ready to race!
I posted a solution in a previous thread, thanks to dalton for drawing my attention to this one!

I have found that this issue regarding missing road names stems, in my case at least, from the fact that I am using a Mac to copy the files onto the SD card. Macs create additional hidden files starting with a '.' which seem to confuse the satnav and must be removed to fix the problem.

There are a few tools around to do this, personally I find HiM effective (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/52076/him). Just drag the SD card onto the HiM icon after you've copied the map files across, and it removes all the rogue mac hidden files an the road & street name text is restored

To test this, I've just copied the Nov'2015 update onto the SD card, put it in straight in the car without cleaning up the hidden files and no street names were showing. I removed the card, dropped it onto the HiM app to clean it, put it straight back in the car and all the street names appeared correctly. :)

If my theory is correct, it would only be mac or Linux users who have experienced this issue?

Hope this helps someone out there!
I will try this on my Mac the next time I update my card but I got exactly the same result of missing road names and numbers when I used a Windows PC to do the update after first trying on the Mac. What I find so irritating is that there is clearly an issue here yet vw can't be bothered to deliver clear advice to its supposedly so important customers on a reliable process for doing this.