GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My new CSG GTD (and the wife's Polo Blue GT)

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
**Warning – Image heavy**

Was quite a sad day on Saturday when both the wife's car and mine were trading in for two new ones. My beloved Pure White GTD and her Blue Silk Polo Blue GT (both 2013 models purchased from new). Both cars had been bullet proof with no issues what so ever, so the new cars have something to live up to.

As it was two new cars, it was a marathon weekend. We collected the wife and my new cars on Saturday morning and spent the rest of the weekend and most of Monday detailing them and getting them how I would like them. Really pleased in the end.

As usual, we asked the dealer not to touch them aside from removing the transportation sheets, which to be fair they did. The paint work was a rough as sandpaper on both cars, but underneath surprisingly free of defects (just a few marks here and there), so I was really glad it was me that was touching the paintwork first. Where the transport wraps had been were plenty of adhesive marks, but nothing that Tardis couldn't shift.

The process was the same on both cars, so:
• Power wash
• Snow foam with AF foam
• Rinse
• Hand wash (two buckets) with Megs Shampoo and my Wo-Wo lamb’s wool mit.
• Rinse
• Clay using Megs last touch as a lubricant
• Rinse
• De-Tar with AS Tardis
• Rinse
• Sprayed with Iron-X to remove bonded fall out (from the wheels there were loads).
• Rinse and quick wash again, with a final rinse.
• Car then dried with my two extra-large microfiber drying towels (patted dry)
• Used my Metro Sidekick to blast off the remaining water in the harder to reach areas.
• The above left the paint work super smooth.
• Cars then taped up and machine corrected with Dodo Juice Lime prime on an Orange Dodo Juice Fin Cut pad. This got 99% of the minor marring out.
• Then 2 coats of Gtechniq C2 V3 and 2 final top coats of Dodo Juice Purple Haze pro.
• Wheels taken off and sealed with Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour
• Windows gone with Autoglym Fast Glass, and black trim dressed with Aerospace 303 protectant.
• Tyre's dressed with Mega Tyre gel.

Phew, now the afters……. I know it's a Golf forum, and we'll get to my GTD below, but first her new Polo Blue GT.

Polo Blue GT

As you can see I've already added chromed exhaust tips, door sill trims, special carpet mats, foot well lighting, the missing Engine cover and removed the "Bluemotion" badge from the boot lid. However went to fit the Chrome pedals from her old 6R Blue GT and the accelerator doesn't fit (the old one was rectangular but the new one is slightly curved on the 6C). Have they changed (looks like the MK7 Golf style now) ?

As well now she has adaptive cruise control on the Polo (as she loves it on my Golf), and as she does motorway miles to work everyday, I think it's a good safety option.

Anyway, images.....

Options include- convenience pack (Auto lights, auto wipers and folding mirrors), DSG, Winter Pack, Climate Control, Adaptive Cruise Control, Navigation, Front Parking Sensors, Side Airbags, Passenger air bag deactivation switch, Xenon Headlights with LED DRL’s.

My Golf GTD

Already added special mats again (the VW supplied ones will be kept as spares), Red badge skins for the badges (looks really good against the dark grey paint work), Side Sill chrome strips.

Also did a little VCDS coding - added Auto coming/leaving home lights. Set seat heating to remember heating on both seats. Added the Off road system to the "CAR" menu (in lieu of getting the "SPORT" mode added later when someone finds out how to code it in VCDS).

Tried to set alarm chirp on locking / unlocking, but can't ind the adaptation screens for it like on my previous car - have these been removed ?

Anyway again, photos.

A couple of how it was on collection (lifeless and lacking shine):

And the afters....

Options include - DSG, Parking pack (Auto Park, Rear view camera) , Tech Pack (Nav Pro and Dynaudio), Heated Windscreen, Advanced Phone Prep, 19" Santiago alloys, Sport and Sound pack (active exhaust and red painted calipers).

Hope you like.

richiekuk

Ready to race!
That is what CSG should look like!
Good skills that man!!

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
It's the sensor for the park assist (one on each corner in addition to the standard 4 at each end). I would have liked lane assist (if only for the traffic recognition), but at nearly a £1000 (as you have to take it with blind spot monitoring and rear monitoring as well), I just couldn't justify it.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Right, now the car has the Discover Nav Pro MIB II and the full suite of app connect (android auto, Apple Car play and mirror link), as well as car-net, I thought I'd give them a check.

(excuse the image quality, it was really sunny and the lens on the phone was flaring quite badly).

1. Google Maps

2. Google Street View

3. VW Car-Net

4. Car-Net - Weather

5. Car-Net Filling stations with prices (very cool)

6. Car-Net - News

7. Android Auto

8. Android Auto - Google music play

9. Mirror Link

10. Apple Car Play

11. Apple Car Play music

All features worked straight out of the box first time using my Iphone 6 for Apple Car Play and Car-Net, and my Samsung Galaxy S5 for Android Auto, Mirror-Link and Car-Net.

Quite a relief really hearing some of the horror stories of people trying to get these apps working.

All in all, a bit gimmicky (some of them), but pretty cool all the same !

Jamzo64

Briskodian
Car(s)
Skoda Octavia vRS
Tried to set alarm chirp on locking / unlocking, but can't ind the adaptation screens for it like on my previous car - have these been removed ?
Alarm beep on lock/unlock
[09] Central Electronics
Secuity Access and enter 31347
Adaptation channels:
(1)-Acknowledgement Signals -Akustische Rueckmeldung entriegen (un-lock acoustic feedback)
(2)-Acknowledgement Signals -Akustische Rueckmeldung verriegeln (lock acoustic feedback)

Set to On for "un-lock" or "lock" or both.

HTH

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
Great info and thanks for the pics, really interesting to see whats new since our 2014 car, amazing amount of info you can now obtain from the media system, enjoy them both!

Tatanko

Ready to race!
Can you tell me where you got the mats and red badge skins from (or how you made them??) ..... nice looking cars BTW :)
His look identical to the ones I have from BadgeSkins.com. Good quality stuff and easy to apply. Hope that helps :)

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Yes, vinyl overlays were from badgeskins and mats from carmats4u.

Hope that helps.

paul83

Well wear, great colour but I am a bit biased! Badgeskins look great also and you've achieved a super finish with the paint!

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
We have his GTD and her Polo.

The Polo we have is a 2015 SE Design which has the basic suspension setup. Im interested in your views on how the Polo GT is to drive with the stiffer suspension. My wifes Polo is a lovely car, really feels like a baby golf in many ways but the front end feels really dull. How is it compared yo your Golf? I like her Polo a lot and may consider a Polo GTi or GT when its time to change my GTD but im not sure if I could live with the dull drive if the higher spec doesn't drive better.