GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Modifications/Mx that boost reliability and longevity

Innerpapaya22

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and this would be my first post. First a little about my GTI: I've got a 6-speed 2017 mk7 Golf GTI S with about 52k miles (83km) on it.. I drive a lot which leads to the topic of this post

(Now I know Modifications + reliability is a bit of an oxymoron but hear me out)

I really love this car and want to keep it until it hits 200k miles...if possible. I'm here to compile some things that I think would help the car stay in its tip top shape for years to come. Aside from doing the Mx at their proper intervals I've gathered a few things that I think could help with the longevity of the car. Let me know if I am dead wrong, if you concur, or if you've got something that could help with keeping the car as if it is still in its prime! Include DSG stuff here too if you'd like for other folks!

The "?" are stuff that I am not exactly sure on if it makes a difference in terms of longevity

Engine:
Steel oil pan upgrade (?)
Dogbone mount/insert (?)
Oil catch can (? Heard its kinda pointless nowadays with the newer direct fuel injection systems as oppose to the older ones?)
Short ram intake or cold air intake

Transmission:
Solid shift cable upgrade from the plastic OEM
Billet aluminum shift bracket bushing
Billet shift relay assembly
Stage 1 clutch once the OEM slips (?)

Suspension/brakes:
Slotted, drilled, slotted & drilled rotors (? which do you think is better for longevity of the vehicle)
Coilovers (?)
Air suspension (?)

...thats all I can think of and as you can see I really dont know a whole lot but I'm willing to learn. Aside from those changes, I think keeping things OEM is perhaps the best bet when it comes for longevity. I dont really want a tune or anything crazy. My bumper sticker already adds +50hp. I just want to enjoy the fun of driving my car because its my daily. I let the ponies sing every now and then for fun lol

Also if there is any motor or gear oil that you swear by let me know!

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
Welcome to the forum! Do the required maintenance and fix issues as they arise. Some tuned engines and drive trains last forever while others blow completely stock. If something is going to happen it’ll happen. lots of great knowledge on here(not me) and tons of posts to read. Enjoy the car!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm a believer in over maintaining my cars. Change fluids more often than called for. An oil catch can that "deletes" the PCV is still a great idea to reduce carbon buildup. As others have said leave the suspension alone except for a rear sway bar to fix the oversteer.

Mk7tsi3door

Go Kart Newbie
Fluidampr? I honestly do not have one on my car, but the argument seems sound. Less vibration, less wear/chance of something breaking.
So all hypothetical right now because I don’t have one! But it’s on my short list for car mods(which seems to keep getting bumped into a long list, paying other bills lol)

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
If you’re looking to hit 200k I agree with everyone else. Your best bet is to leave it stock and keep to the required maintenance schedule at a minimum. If you have the ability I recommend keeping to a 5000 mile oil change interval and use premium fluids and OEM parts. Do not skimp on this. In the long run it will pay off. Enjoy!

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Do all the upgrades in here:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-make-a-mk7-6mt-suck-less.349809/

they really do make the manual trans way more fun.
You can add a dogbone insert that will help with slop.
RSB
tires
Dropin air filter and remove snow guard

Wheels/ Coilovers

If your looking to keep it long, do not alter the tune, thus you will not need a new clutch
Honestly tho, if it was me, I would do the above, scratch coils, grab springs, add jb4, and have fun.

This is a 4cyl car, they don't last to 200k miles, most v8's don't last that long.

Like others said do the maintenance that is required.
adding a jb4 you will need a new clutch eventually (5-10k miles)

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
I would disagree with the 4 cyl comment. I have had a few still running strong at 200k+. I just gave my son my 2000 celica GTS when i got the GTI it still saw its fair share of 8000+ rpm shifts and still going at 260K.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've yet to see any evidence of this being true.. can you point to a (reliable) source with some hard data?

I'm not going to debate it. All I'll say is what the dealer told me and that is when I had carbon cleaning done at 50K miles he said that he hadn't seen one that clean even on a stock GTI let alone a heavily modified one like mine.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
None of the mods in your first post will boost longevity or reliability. If you want the car to be as reliable as possible, keep it stock and retain the warranty.

Read around the forums, theres TONS of information here. Use the search method Jake talks about in his questions/etiquette thread before posting a new thread because chances are someone has had the same questions as you at some point

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Fluidampr? I honestly do not have one on my car, but the argument seems sound. Less vibration, less wear/chance of something breaking.
So all hypothetical right now because I don’t have one! But it’s on my short list for car mods(which seems to keep getting bumped into a long list, paying other bills lol)

Came to post this myself. Had one on my Mk6 and loved it.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
This is a 4cyl car, they don't last to 200k miles, most v8's don't last that long.

When I sold my Mk. 1 Rabbit S at 225,000 miles, it was on the original clutch even after heavy autocross use at the local (TX Region SCCA), Divisional (class winner- SOWDIV SCCA) and National (top 8) level in stock class. Did a valve job on it because I wanted to, not because it needed it at 175,000 miles. Always changed oil at 3k mile intervals (mineral oil) & mostly kept up with routine maintenance. Car looked & ran like new when I sold it. Even the Bertone X1/9 that replaced it (it too had extensive autocross use & comparable maintenance to the Rabbit) ran like new when I sold it at 165,000 miles. My 04 Mazda MPV with the V-6 is finally wearing out all of the sensors & the rust from all the road salt has finally eaten her up after 300,000 miles. Original, untouched engine & tranny. Engine leaks less than 1 qt./5000 miles. This thing has been run hard & put down wet since new, but well-maintained.
So no, even older 4 cyl. cars will easily last well over 200,000 miles in my experience, particularly if you use readily-available synthetic lubricants at factory-recommended intervals and follow the recommended maintenance schedules.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Want to make your car last? Keep stock, don't track it, don't beat on it, follow the maintenance requirements religiously, and use a good oil like Amsoil Signature Series. The WRC Rally teams swear by the stuff, they're seeing literally no wear during a full season on the engines. Pennzoil Platinum is suppose to be good too as far as wear and film strength.