GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 GTI - DQ380 (DSG)

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I was looking at the new A4 last night and it's got a 7 speed so I'm curious which one it has at well.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Ya I like it a lot. My wife will need a new car in the next year or so, so we're still debating options, but they definitely did a great job on it, and worth it for the price

From Audi website:

Mash

Passed Driver's Ed
Last edited:

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
DQ250: Torque Maximum 350 Nm (depending on engine)

Wikipedia is wrong about it. It's rated 250 Nm.
Check our service manual of VW itself http://at-manuals.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/manuals/02E DQ200 DQ250 manual.pdf

DQ380: Rated to 380 Nm (maximum 420 Nm).

So it's 70Nm more, not 20 lbs.ft. less.

DQ500: Rated 500 Nm (maximum 600Nm).

Not sure what you are exactly saying here? First you say it's 350 Nm (which appears in your 13 year old service training brochure) then say it's 250 Nm?

Is there a possibility of there being updated specs?

Because the Golf R stock makes 380 Nm of torque. So I guess every Golf R DSG is about to blow up?

Mash

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure what you are exactly saying here? First you say it's 350 Nm (which appears in your 13 year old service training brochure) then say it's 250 Nm?

Is there a possibility of there being updated specs?

Because the Golf R stock makes 380 Nm of torque. So I guess every Golf R DSG is about to blow up?

There is maximum and rated torque. Rated torque is basically in the name already. Maximum I've stated above. If you know better source of info - let me know. I assume that Golf R uses increased friction plates in the clutch. Is it same in other cars - I don't know. I'm quite new to MQB platform, most of my knowledge is about DCT470 dual clutch trans. So I could be mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong with better sources.

woshiyouke

There is maximum and rated torque. Rated torque is basically in the name already. Maximum I've stated above. If you know better source of info - let me know. I assume that Golf R uses increased friction plates in the clutch. Is it same in other cars - I don't know. I'm quite new to MQB platform, most of my knowledge is about DCT470 dual clutch trans. So I could be mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong with better sources.

DQ380 is a 2 wheel drive version of the DQ500, with redesigned clutches. the circuit board and the gears remain the same.
There's a history lesson why Chinese and Singapore GTIs have DQ380. I emailed someone who worked in VW China and here's what he said.
DQ200 and DQ250 are those used widely years ago. DQ200 is widely used on small engines such as 1.4T and 1.8T, DQ 250 is mainly used on larger engines like those 2.0Ts on Passat, which is not a volume seller in China. Since import taxes are much higher, VW built a production line in China for DQ200 and imported the DQ250.
Later on, the DQ200 has a major failure occurred in China market. Then VW chooses to pick another DCT to be manufactured in China. They picked the 7-speed DQ500 (DQ500 is widely used on SUVs) and redesigned the 7-speed DQ380.
DQ380 is widely used on most of VW vehicles today in China including Jetta and Passat. So the 7th gen GTI just uses it as well. the downside is maybe some of the popular tunes couldn't be used. another downside is VAQ couldn't be compatible with DQ380, all the GTIs in China don't get VAQ.
later, DQ380 was redesigned again to be the DQ381,which is manufactured in Europe now.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
DQ380 is a 2 wheel drive version of the DQ500, with redesigned clutches. the circuit board and the gears remain the same.
There's a history lesson why Chinese and Singapore GTIs have DQ380. I emailed someone who worked in VW China and here's what he said.
DQ200 and DQ250 are those used widely years ago. DQ200 is widely used on small engines such as 1.4T and 1.8T, DQ 250 is mainly used on larger engines like those 2.0Ts on Passat, which is not a volume seller in China. Since import taxes are much higher, VW built a production line in China for DQ200 and imported the DQ250.
Later on, the DQ200 has a major failure occurred in China market. Then VW chooses to pick another DCT to be manufactured in China. They picked the 7-speed DQ500 (DQ500 is widely used on SUVs) and redesigned the 7-speed DQ380.
DQ380 is widely used on most of VW vehicles today in China including Jetta and Passat. So the 7th gen GTI just uses it as well. the downside is maybe some of the popular tunes couldn't be used. another downside is VAQ couldn't be compatible with DQ380, all the GTIs in China don't get VAQ.
later, DQ380 was redesigned again to be the DQ381,which is manufactured in Europe now.

^^^ This.

Plus... the DQ500 is being swapped into GTIs and R's. Apparently there have been some issues with the transmission casing once you get to REALLY high HP/TQ. Preliminary research says about $12K for the swap.

If you want to read up on it...

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/dq250-to-dq500-swap.314751/

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/anybody-done-a-dq500-conversion.352162/

Just as a FYI.

Slick99

Ready to race!

That really good info was hoping if anyone has done swapped out DQ200 gearbox to DQ380.

Last edited: