GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I personally think that's the biggest waste of money out there.

Some people think it's the coolest mod since sliced bread.

There doesn't really seem to be any middle ground but just for reference my Borla muffler (3" 304L SS, straight through design) was under $100. I'd never pay 3x the price for a stock muffler, but that's just me. Plenty of better options for less, just gave mine as an example

I agree. If it was $300 to the door that is one thing but I forgot about the international shipping.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Please don't. You won't like it. At least with a downpipe and stock resonator it was drone all day for me. Took it off after 3 days. Get a magnaflow muffler if You don't wanna go with Borla that Jake recommended. It's pretty cheap too.

You got sound clips ?

Blaylock1988

Ready to race!
I want to add my feedback here.

Resonator delete, stock everything else: near worthless by itself. It's like going from a 3 to a 4. Different story if you have a DP though. CSS muffler is definitely the way to go if you want a little more volume without wasting your money.

Autotech/Magnaflow catback, stock downpipe, no tune: This was a nice increase in volume without being as loud as muffler delete. It was deeper tone and very civilized, but did almost have a tiny bit of drone. Not the kind that made your head hurt or vibrated the interior, but it might annoy the more NVH averse. Idle was a little louder. DSG farts were quick muffled pops, not sharp long farts.

MAPerformance catted non-resonated downpipe, with Autotech/Magnaflow catback, stock tune: Super loud, but not as loud as APR nor Unitronic's TBE setups. Droned a a moderate amount but not too bad. Definitely ridden in much worse. Sounded awesome at WOT and had thundering DSG farts. Not for me though since the GTI is my wife's daily and our road tripping car.

MAPerformance catted non-resonated downpipe, stock catback, no tune: My current set-up, and by far my favorite. Nice throaty sound but not any deeper. DSG farts are perfect and sharp without being painful to the ears. Volume is perfect inside the cabin at all speeds and throttle positions. Its one of those that sound quieter inside than outside. No drone at all, car sounds stock until you get into boost, idle is stock volume (except cold starts are a little louder). This is louder than a CSS muffler by itself. It is 100% exactly what I wanted from the car and made it 100% more fun to drive. No CEL with the Vibrant J spacer with the smallest insert.

I definitely want to make a video of the current setup, I'll be sure to post it here if I do. I hope this helps others as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Resonator delete, stock everything else: near worthless by itself. It's like going from a 3 to a 4. Different story if you have a DP though. CSS muffler is definitely the way to go if you want a little more volume without wasting your money.

Autotech/Magnaflow catback, stock downpipe, no tune: This was a nice increase in volume without being as loud as muffler delete. It was deeper tone and very civilized, but did almost have a tiny bit of drone. Not the kind that made your head hurt or vibrated the interior, but it might annoy the more NVH averse. Idle was a little louder. DSG farts were quick muffled pops, not sharp long farts.

MAPerformance catted non-resonated downpipe, with Autotech/Magnaflow catback, stock tune: Super loud, but not as loud as APR nor Unitronic's TBE setups. Droned a a moderate amount but not too bad. Definitely ridden in much worse. Sounded awesome at WOT and had thundering DSG farts. Not for me though since the GTI is my wife's daily and our road tripping car.

MAPerformance catted non-resonated downpipe, stock catback, no tune: My current set-up, and by far my favorite. Nice throaty sound but not any deeper. DSG farts are perfect and sharp without being painful to the ears. Volume is perfect inside the cabin at all speeds and throttle positions. Its one of those that sound quieter inside than outside. No drone at all, car sounds stock until you get into boost, idle is stock volume (except cold starts are a little louder). This is louder than a CSS muffler by itself. It is 100% exactly what I wanted from the car and made it 100% more fun to drive. No CEL with the Vibrant J spacer with the smallest insert.

I definitely want to make a video of the current setup, I'll be sure to post it here if I do. I hope this helps others as well.

I may need to go with another spacer if adding a piece to my amazon cheapie doesn't work. Can you link to where you bought the vibrant and if it comes with multiple pieces which ones you are using? TIA.

Blaylock1988

Ready to race!
I may need to go with another spacer if adding a piece to my amazon cheapie doesn't work. Can you link to where you bought the vibrant and if it comes with multiple pieces which ones you are using? TIA.
I used this one, $32 https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1161...501696897&sr=8-1&keywords=vibrant+j+spacer+O2

It is a little large though. I ended up installing it about level with the ground pointing towards the engine since I couldn't quite get it to point upwards. It's not good to have the O2 spacer in a position that will allow condensation to pool on the sensor.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I used this one, $32 https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1161...501696897&sr=8-1&keywords=vibrant+j+spacer+O2

It is a little large though. I ended up installing it about level with the ground pointing towards the engine since I couldn't quite get it to point upwards. It's not good to have the O2 spacer in a position that will allow condensation to pool on the sensor.

Same one I have. I used the middle collector and all has been well, aka CEL free with my APR DP.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion

Why not just add the vibrant resonator to the magnaflow setup? That would have killed the drone and kept the nice tone of the exhaust?

Blaylock1988

Ready to race!
Why not just add the vibrant resonator to the magnaflow setup? That would have killed the drone and kept the nice tone of the exhaust?
The Magnaflow was too quiet. I wanted a throatier note with louder more pronounced DSG farts. The vibrant res would have gotten rid of any trace of drone, but it also would have become even quieter.

The catted MAP downpipe/stock catback gave me exactly the sound I wanted with no compromises, and cost me almost nothing after selling the Autotech/Magnaflow.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Same one I have. I used the middle collector and all has been well, aka CEL free with my APR DP.

Thanks both. So I gather you are using either the left piece or the right piece, but not the middle? basically just need to limit the gases some way. My amazon cheapie has no limiter to add, just more pieces to move the sensor further away.

Blaylock1988

Ready to race!
Thanks both. So I gather you are using either the left piece or the right piece, but not the middle? basically just need to limit the gases some way. My amazon cheapie has no limiter to add, just more pieces to move the sensor further away.
I used the smallest diameter insert. You really need circlip pliers to assemble it though.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!

If I may chime in... I used the Vibrant J-Spacer on my catted downpipe and was able to use the middle sized insert. I ran it that way for a little over a month and this is my daily driver. Never once got a CEL. Granted YMMV. :)