GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So you're saying about 30 of us are wrong and you two are right? I'd lean more towards this is a very subjective subject so no solution is going to be 100%.

I'm not sure what it weighs, plus mines the 3" and welded to my exhaust Either way it's no more than the stock resonator. If weight is a big concern you should look into Ticon titanium fabrication parts. A full TBE exhaust could be 20lbs or so and probably cost about the same as APR or less. You'd have the most badass exhaust on any VW that's for sure

Last edited:

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
At this point I likely will bolt up a cat back. My factory system has been hacked up 4 or 5 times with trial and error. Do you feel the BB cat back will work well cancelling drone with a catted DP?
Yes. I have 4" catless now and it's very tolerable.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
Resonator installed, a significant amount of drone is gone. It sounds extremely close to factory turboback at 65 to 80mph. At 60mph 90 percent of the drone is gone. At full throttle the system sounds very refined and has a deeper tone to it

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
Overall, i am very pleased being full 3" tbe, catless.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Bump. I'm getting sick of personally regurgitating the content of this thread. There's tons of personal opinions here to answer any range of questions and ideas anyone might have

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Running a Rev9 uncatted DP, 3 inch Vibrant 17950, and Magnaflow catback. Perfect balance of sound, and zero restriction. No drone at all, and quiet, but noticeable idle. WOT, is amazeballs.

All thanks to your old build thread my friend!:D I ran uncatted WITHOUT the Vibrant 17950 for a week, and I don't know how people can even remotely think that drone is bearable. It would drop so deep at 2100rpm, that the entire car would rattle. This setup is perfect in every way. Especially when you remove that sliding plastic flap on the underside of the armrest. No more rattling at all!

I was one of the UQ users. I think it made things worse. I'm going to try the other resonator GTI Jake recommended.

Quick review on my experience with the vibrant 17930 resonator. I took gtijakes advice and replaced my stock resonator. I have an is38 along with a bull x catted downpipe that's non resonated. I was getting a tiny bit of drone on the freeway but it never bothered me too much and it wasn't really noticeable unless I was driving on an incline. I decided to give the vibrant a shot and it did exactly what gtijake said. No more drone. BUT I did lose something that made me not sure if I'm 100% happy with my decision. I lost the little pops and crackles I would get when letting off the gas in first or second gear at low speeds :(

Long story short, if you have drone and you want to get rid of it, go with the vibrant 17930.

Yup! Sorry for the late reply... but this worked very well

I just got mine done yesterday. I have a CTS catless downpipe mated to stock exhaust so drone started off the bat. I had the shop take a few pics but he pretty much chopped off the old resonator , added a small piece of pipe, then welded all in. For $60 in labor , can't complain. It completely changed the sound of the car to the point of it almost sounds stock sometimes. Drone is pretty much gone and the raspiness has gone down as well. Best mod to date that brought the car that OEM feel when cruising but still nice tone when full throttle.

Took your advice Jake....... I'll start from the beginning. Had a catted circuit werks down pipe with the stock cat back and liked it pretty good but hated the look of the suitcase muffler. Found the magnaflow cat back on sale for super cheap so I jumped on that. Definitely louder 10x over and had this amazing drone to where I would never use 6th gear. I didn't mind nearly as much as the wife when we would go on a 2 hour or so drive (all at once) somewhere. I recently had to put the stock down pipe on (yay emissions) and loved how quiet it was on the way to work in the morning but lost a lot of sound. I also decided at the time to upgrade to a nicer down pipe so I ordered the CTS cat less. Luckily I found this thread and ordered the big vibrant resonator. I am so happy with this set up. Quieted it up just enough while cruising that the wife doesn't mind, made the tone much deeper, dsg farts now sound like a shotgun blast, and most importantly got rid of the drone completely. I did lose the crackles and pops at lower speeds but honestly everything else outweighs that. I highly recommend the vibrant resonator. Thanks again Jake!

Another Vibrant 17930 success story here, thanks Jake and everyone else who’s taken it upon themselves to experiment and provide feedback in this thread. I never really liked how my catted/1142 resonated MAPerf downpipe sounded with the stock catback. I had drone from 2.5k-3.75k and all the 4 cylinder tones that I don’t like seemed overemphasized (“ricey” if you will). Now, all the drone (ok, maybe 98% since you can’t get rid of it fully) is gone. The 4 cylinder noises have been muted a great deal and the sound overall has gotten noticeably deeper. 10/10 - would have shop weld in again.

I have the magnaflow catback with a cts catless downpipe and the now popular vibrant resonator and love it. Deep tone, no rasp, and best of all no real drone.

Reviews up to page 10.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just got my 17930 welded in today... what a difference! Adding the Vibrant resonator deepened the tone a bit and more importantly eliminated all the drone I was getting after adding my catted downpipe. Thanks Jake for the recommendation.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

So I had the stock suitcase muffler deleted and had the max flow muffler installed while keeping the stock resonator. It was a bit droney and boomy for my taste which goes to show how objective exhaust sound preferences can be from person to person because I bought this muffler on the recomendation from someone that states it wasn't going to drone. After driving around for 30 minutes I went back to the muffler shop and had the vibrant resonator replace the stock one. Drone was lessoned and it doesn't sound half bad and am fairly satisfied. Pops/gurgles seem to be pretty non-existent now though.

Resonator installed, a significant amount of drone is gone. It sounds extremely close to factory turboback at 65 to 80mph. At 60mph 90 percent of the drone is gone. At full throttle the system sounds very refined and has a deeper tone to it

Overall, i am very pleased being full 3" tbe, catless.

And the rest up to this point. I'm really hoping the vast variety of personal experiences with these resonators will allow this thread to become self sufficient.

...that way I can get back to pushing BFI mounts, getting flash tuned or JB4, and of course my favorite, if you're not sure what your next car should be get MQB! lol

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
I'm looking into the Remus exhaust setup, but I am not sure about how it will drone or what dp to use with it. I am thinking of getting the apr dp just so I won't have to pay for the tune. have any experience with Remus?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
All DP will sound and performe the same. Your dp choice comes down to materials used, catted or not (and the quality of the cat) and name brand.

I suggest getting one with a cat, and the APR makes sense if you're going stage 2.

Post a link to the Remus one

WadeRoberson

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA
All DP will sound and performe the same. Your dp choice comes down to materials used, catted or not (and the quality of the cat) and name brand.

I suggest getting one with a cat, and the APR makes sense if you're going stage 2.

Post a link to the Remus one
Why do you suggest a cat? Does it affect anything besides emmisions?