GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

VeeDubBoss420

Has any one on here used Spintech mufflers on this platform? Would love to hear some samples if possible!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I highly doubt it

For the most part mk7 owners just dish out the money for a complete system. This thread is my attempt at saving people from spending that kinda money

Diego s filho

I highly doubt it

For the most part mk7 owners just dish out the money for a complete system. This thread is my attempt at saving people from spending that kinda money

I want to use dowpipe then which exhaust setup to use want a sound of the beautiful engine and fart (popcorn) in the high gear change the remus more I do not want resonance what do you recommend

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
Ordered, going to integrate into my CW turboback within the next few weeks. I'll report back with the results.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
Question for the welders, I'm going to have a shop MIG weld using stainless wire, is there a recommendation as to 308L wire, etc.?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I use 308L and Argon, not ideal but tri mix isn't usually stocked in the size bottle I own.

If they're welding to the stock 409 regular mig wire and mix will do fine

My 304L CBE

l

Last edited:

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
Looks good Jake, thank you for the reply and for posting shots. I'm asking shops to use stainless wire with the mig method

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
not sure if I'll throw much at exhaust, but what a great thread OP. Thanks!

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Update:

My experience.

After the 18" Vibrant broke in, the drone was roughly the same at highway speeds but worse around town than the factory unit.

I added a 12" behind the 18" at the bent prior to the rear muffler and that made it quieter at highway speeds but made around town worse. The bass around town is not acceptable. This was the same experience I had when I added a Vibrant at the bend behind the factory resonator.

So far the best solution is to keep the factory resonator and add a Billy Boat Timbre resonator at the bend.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I use 308L and Argon, not ideal but tri mix isn't usually stocked in the size bottle I own.

If they're welding to the stock 409 regular mig wire and mix will do fine

My 304L CBE

l

Is that a borla xr1 muffler? If so, I had that on my mach 1... baddest sounding muffler on a 4v v8.... im sure it will sound nice on the gti. I even thought about buying the same muffler and having a custom 3" made.

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Update:

My experience.

After the 18" Vibrant broke in, the drone was roughly the same at highway speeds but worse around town than the factory unit.

I added a 12" behind the 18" at the bent prior to the rear muffler and that made it quieter at highway speeds but made around town worse. The bass around town is not acceptable. This was the same experience I had when I added a Vibrant at the bend behind the factory resonator.

So far the best solution is to keep the factory resonator and add a Billy Boat Timbre resonator at the bend.
I said this a while ago in a not so constructive way. The deep bass boomy tone is unacceptable. Yes, it's no longer loud/high pitch/rasp but the frequency is lower and exhaust flow is slower. Both oem triangle resonator and Timber can are helmhotz designed to cancel out not just move frequencies and they do it without slowing the flow.

I'm gonna make a custom system that is comparable to my BBE catback which is essentially drone free but its like 70lbs.. gonna make a setup that is 40lbs or less.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I said this a while ago in a not so constructive way. The deep bass boomy tone is unacceptable. Yes, it's no longer loud/high pitch/rasp but the frequency is lower and exhaust flow is slower. Both oem triangle resonator and Timber can are helmhotz designed to cancel out not just move frequencies and they do it without slowing the flow.

I'm gonna make a custom system that is comparable to my BBE catback which is essentially drone free but its like 70lbs.. gonna make a setup that is 40lbs or less.

Aren't you the 4" exhaust guy who wants a total of 7 mufflers and resonators lol, anyway Sugar is a isolated case here. Every single other review I've heard on the Vibrant 17950 and 17930 have been good

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Aren't you the 4" exhaust guy who wants a total of 7 mufflers and resonators lol, anyway Sugar is a isolated case here. Every single other review I've heard on the Vibrant 17950 and 17930 have been good
Generally most people don't know what drone is or are tone deaf. What you and others say doesn't drone Mark and I would say yes it still does. Also yes I'm the guy who knows about exhausts and the multiple short muffler idea was to tune the exhaust sound while eliminating drone. I got a different idea that is on 1 muffler 1 resonator.

Btw whats the weight of the 18" long 2.5" diameter vibrant resonator.