GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Ok, so maybe I take back my DP and stock catback not bothering me. Saturday was the first day I drove it since with the windows up, and it definitely gets droney.

I don't know what it is about this car with the windows up that adds drone, as I had the same thing with the Magnaflow, it was fine with the windows down, but once up it was not so good.

So I'll be either doing the vibrant 17950 route or get a AWE Touring. Sales will dictate.
Thanks again Jake for all the info!

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
AjaXx said:
What muffler would you recommend to replace the suitcase muffler? All I want is more volume without it being too excessive

I'm really happy with the Borla I used.

Placed it in the spot before the rear suspension

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28576

My car is currently 100% stock but I'm wanting to add some sound for cheap. Any opinions on sound and price by replacing the stock suitcase muffler with an aftermarket muffler like the Borla you used? Also, IIRC the stock exhaust is 2.5" and the muffler is 3" would it make more sense to look for a 2.5" muffler or just have a shop adapt the 3" muffler to work with the stock exhaust?

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
My car is currently 100% stock but I'm wanting to add some sound for cheap. Any opinions on sound and price by replacing the stock suitcase muffler with an aftermarket muffler like the Borla you used? Also, IIRC the stock exhaust is 2.5" and the muffler is 3" would it make more sense to look for a 2.5" muffler or just have a shop adapt the 3" muffler to work with the stock exhaust?

Should have searched for this first. Would this muffler work?

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/bor-40364

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I'm going to give this muffler a try on a catted/resonated dp with stock resonator.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-mf1226/reviews/

I read that someone used this muffler with a DP, stock resonator and deleted stock muffler and he swears by it. He says it is a tad quiter than the stock muffler but with no drone and deeper/meaner tone. It is super cheap too.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

I'd just build 3" from the muffler you're adding back since you won't be reusing anything back there anyway.

The link you posted is center center, I'd go with offset like mine cuz the spot before the rear suspension is very tight and that offset helps free up some room

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm going to give this muffler a try on a catted/resonated dp with stock resonator.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-mf1226/reviews/

I read that someone used this muffler with a DP, stock resonator and deleted stock muffler and he swears by it. He says it is a tad quiter than the stock muffler but with no drone and deeper/meaner tone. It is super cheap too.

Well you know my position on running multiple resonators so I won't touch on that, but my concern with that muffler is its size. 20" case length is a LOT to be cramming in the spot before the suspension. My 14" long muffler was tight

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Well you know my position on running multiple resonators so I won't touch on that, but my concern with that muffler is its size. 20" case length is a LOT to be cramming in the spot before the suspension. My 14" long muffler was tight

It is a 14" muffler with 20" overal that includes the end piping so it should fit fine. I have the vibrant 18" resonator on order as well just in case but if this muffler gives me the sound I want I'll be returning it.

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I'd just build 3" from the muffler you're adding back since you won't be reusing anything back there anyway.

The link you posted is center center, I'd go with offset like mine cuz the spot before the rear suspension is very tight and that offset helps free up some room

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the aftermarket muffler would go in the same place as the stock suitcase. I know very little about the exhaust system layout though. Is it easier for a shop to put the muffler in the location you have it and just build back from there?

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Last edited:

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the aftermarket muffler would go in the same place as the stock suitcase. I know very little about the exhaust system layout though. Is it easier for a shop to put the muffler in the location you have it and just build back from there?

FYI, vibrant has a side inlet muffler that can be put into the stock location. I wanted to try this but went with a more budget build.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1063...&qid=1502743574&sr=8-1&keywords=vibrant+10632

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
GTi Jake I appreciate the time and effort you took to write and start the thread but you don't fully understand how exhaust flow, frequencies, resonances and the like work other than what a book or video might tell you. In the past I've built custom one off exhausts for cars to tune out or move up the drone to higher rpm or to cancel it as much as possible on Hondas, Mustangs, Subarus, Evo/DSM. Which are heavily known to drone, boom, or rasp. For the GTI I search companies like BBE, Borla, Corsa, APR, AWE TOURING on what they were making and see they have spent much time into producing these systems. Of these companies; BBE, Borla and Corsa being the ones using patented technology specific to resolving this issue.

Your approach and understanding of the UQ Vibrant resonator of being too small is wrong. I have used these and have gotten better results in some cases. It's not the size but the placement. You will not know where to place the resonator which takes hacking up your setup a few times to get the right location. The 18" you offer does nothing more or less than add weight over UQ does the same if not better because overall the canister is large in diameter and it doesn't slow the exhaust down due to being short.

Currently I have a 4" CATLESS downpipe with BBE catback. I have no drone, I do however have a high pitch cam phasing at 2800 to 3000rpm. My BBE resonator is stubbier than the vibrant you suggested to use but 2 times the diameter. My resonator is not straight thru as well. The 2 mufflers are not straight thru either. I have no loss of power and I so happen to make 345+whp/400+wtq on a Dynojet and 320whp/381wtq on a Mustang Dyno on a STOCK IS20 which is nothing short of amazing with such a restrictive cat-back you would say?

BBE puts perforated baffles in the resonator and both rear mufflers, quite possibly the most "restrictive" physically looking exhaust on the market. It's quieter around town and idle then the stock catback. If I would get rid of it, it would be in favor of the other 4 companies I mentioned due to wanting a lighter weight system in exchange for more dB.

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
Ineedmorepsi, whats your take on the Timbre resonators that b&b produces? I think that resonator is designed around the concept of helmholtz technology.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Ineedmorepsi, whats your take on the Timbre resonators that b&b produces? I think that resonator is designed around the concept of helmholtz technology.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

It's a good design. Similar to the RSC cylinder resonator that Corsa uses in the mid-pipe(not mid muffler spot) of their catbacks. Both Helmholtz. Sugarmouth has a Timber cylinder where a mid muffler would be on our cars and it has reduce much of the issue he was dealing according to him.

I tried to sell my BBE as I wanted to make a lightweight custom setup consisting of:
1 resonator
1 muffler
2 J tube
2 5" bullets