GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 OEM LED Tails

gordonf238

I had just ordered Mk7.5 LED tails from Deutsche Auto Parts for my 2017 Golf R, along with their harness. I previously had their Mk7 Euro LEDs and they looked (and worked) great for the last year.

I installed the Mk7.5 tails yesterday. I was somewhat familiar with the process, having done it previously.

I'm having an issue with the driver-side brake light, and I was really hoping someone here could help me. Everything (tail lights, dynamic signals, etc.) works great, with the exception of driver-side brake.

I've triple checked their coding with OBDEleven and everything seems correct.

I'm inclined to think the issue lies in one of these three areas: 1) Coding 2) harness/wiring 3) lamp assembly.

I'm inclined to think these assemblies are checked at the factory, so it's most likely the harness or coding.

Could anyone advise me which pins to check for voltage when the brake pedal is pressed to make sure I'm getting power in those pins? I want to rule out harness next.

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 930

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Most likely you are having an issue with the wiring to Pin5 Outer Left. Left and right brake light use the same light channel, so no coding issue.

Additional question: Without parking lights on do the whole tails light up once you apply the brakes? If you want to get rid of it try the following coding change:

“Lichtfunktion B27” from “Bremslicht” to “nicht aktiv” = not active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gordonf238

Most likely you are having an issue with the wiring to Pin5 Outer Left. Left and right brake light use the same light channel, so no coding issue.

Additional question: Without parking lights on do the whole tails light up once you apply the brakes? If you want to get rid of it try the following coding change:

“Lichtfunktion B27” from “Bremslicht” to “nicht aktiv” = not active.

Hi, and thanks for your reply. You seem a lot more knowledgeable than me.

With the lights fully in OFF position, the driver-side brake does not illuminate either:

With parking lights/full headlights ON, the full array illuminates, and signals work. Again, it seems to be specific to driver-side brake light:

I've just unplugged the connector from driver-side outer light assembly, and checked the connectors. Everything seems secure. Here are the photos of the 3 connectors:

A) This is the OEM connector for the driver-side outer assembly:

This is the DAP Harness that connects to the OEM connector above:

Lastly, this is the DAP connector that connects to the actual housing:

I made no alteration to any of the pins except the yellow cable which was inserted to the connector above.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Can you check continuity from left to right Pin5?

monchhichi1998hk

Passed Driver's Ed
Please let me know how they are, I’m so close to pulling the trigger.

Intsalled the ali ver taillights

under my observation, this taillights should be direct plug and play to mk7 NA too, just the amber signal won't work if you don't use the harnesses

Works perfectly but the very end angle of both outer tail are broken, contacting seller for replacement

I will post more pictures on my car journal later
Thanks JBale for making this one-off(mk7.5 to mk7) harness!

One more thing:
I am having trouble on putting back the biggest hatch trim. The left side fits but the right hand side just couldn't slip in

Looking for hacks or tips

Thanks

Last edited:

SLI

If it's the same metal clips as the upper hatch trim piece, you can easily bend/flatten them, then you're screwed and need replacement clips. I took 1 or 2 of them from the lower spare tire trim (since i had left it out for now to cut it out later as part of the spare tire mod) when i botched the reinstall of the upper hatch trim.

Intsalled the ali ver taillights

under my observation, this taillights should be direct plug and play to mk7 NA too, just the amber signal won't work if you don't use the harnesses

Works perfectly but the very end angle of both outer tail are broken, contacting seller for replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uoAX4LcdNo

I will post more pictures on my car journal later
Thanks JBale for making this one-off(mk7.5 to mk7) harness!

One more thing:
I am having trouble on putting back the biggest hatch trim. The left side fits but the right hand side just couldn't slip in

Looking for hacks or tips

Thanks

monchhichi1998hk

Passed Driver's Ed
If it's the same metal clips as the upper hatch trim piece, you can easily bend/flatten them, then you're screwed and need replacement clips. I took 1 or 2 of them from the lower spare tire trim (since i had left it out for now to cut it out later as part of the spare tire mod) when i botched the reinstall of the upper hatch trim.

It's the plastic part not the clips, I fitted the left side but the right side couldn't slip inside.

fabric8

Passed Driver's Ed
It's the plastic part not the clips, I fitted the left side but the right side couldn't slip inside.

You just need to bend it until it clears. It will feel like it will crack, but it doesn't (at least it didn't for me). If you're in very cold weather, it would help if you warm it up before you bend the corner.