GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Anyone know the actual temp for daily driving that these suck at? Local weather has been cold and i'm wearing out my snows bigtime.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Anyone know the actual temp for daily driving that these suck at? Local weather has been cold and i'm wearing out my snows bigtime.

I don't know about you, but my snows are a hell of a lot cheaper than PS4S' haha, let 'em wear!

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Don't go below 50°F.

Wut?

I’ve run PSS Tire year round with temps near freezing on a handful of days and def below 50. Heck I lived in Dallas for 12 years and had summer tires year round.

I can confirm, not dead. ;)

You have to make sure they’re warmed up before you try doing anything wild with them. In near freezing temps just drive cautiously.

They’ll be fine.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The ambient temps in TX may dip near freezing once in a while, but how long do they stay that low? It takes a few days of sustained cold before the surface temperatures of the pavement are affected, and that's what's really going to make a difference when it comes to summer tire grip. I had the PSS on my old car late into the fall, and with the temps in the 30s-40s for a couple of weeks, I noticed their grip was reduced dramatically.

Also, I'll bet that even when does get a bit chilly down there, the sun's still shining to keep the asphalt warm.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Wut?

I’ve run PSS Tire year round with temps near freezing on a handful of days and def below 50. Heck I lived in Dallas for 12 years and had summer tires year round.

I can confirm, not dead. ;)

You have to make sure they’re warmed up before you try doing anything wild with them. In near freezing temps just drive cautiously.

They’ll be fine.
Livin' life on the edge :p

But really I'd say Texas is one of those states where you may be able to get away with running summers year round. So long as you don't ever see snow anyways.

The poster I replied to lives in MI so they defiantly need winter tires there!

Check out this youtube video where they compare summer and winter tyres:
https://youtu.be/elP_34ltdWI

Start it at 2:58 to see how they do in temperatures around 40°F.
39.5°F road temp 42.6°F air temp to be exact.

Last edited:

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
I put mine on today. Was an average of 44 degrees outside. Still stuck very well and was just fine on the highway. I will drive on them throughout the week in the rain to see how they do.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
One of the advantages of living in the Bay Area is that we never really go below the mid 50's in temp.

No problem running summers all year round :p

amgtorre

Passed Driver's Ed
Have mine for 2 days, after the Pirellis P7 the difference is quite noticeable, I can now floor the car without the steering going crazy, no wheel hoping, they are also comfortable, have plenty of traction, nice responsive steering

All in all very pleased with the new tires

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
One of the advantages of living in the Bay Area is that we never really go below the mid 50's in temp.

No problem running summers all year round :p

On behalf of everyone in MI, where there was freezing rain yesterday and snow flurries this morning,

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah I am working from home today as I was dumb enough to throw my Conti ECSs back on the car last week for the cancelled autoX on Sunday....

The Stig2

Ready to race!
Just installed the PS4S tires on my 2017 GTI yesterday and immediately a noticible and significant difference. I know these babies still need to be broken in, but so far I can feel an uptick in the handling and even steering is more responsive. Outside temp is in the high 40s. It was raining this am, so took it for a quick spin and the tires perform brilliantly in the wet conditions. At the dealership right now getting the wheel alignment checked and adjusted. (I always do a 4 wheel alignment with any tire change or rotation ect). It’s going to be sunny and in the 60’s over the weekend, so looking forward to see how they handle under those conditions. So far so good and definitely happy with the purchase.

Got the tires for around $700 from Costco. After the balancing and installation, the Costco technician took the car for a very quick spin around the parking lot to check the tires. He was raving about the car, and commented to me that he was taken completely by surprise with the ride quality of the GTI. He said he just assumed it was just another hatch, but that now he understands. The Golf line is really so underrated and underestimated in the US.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Oh snap. The Stig has them now! I'm curious how you feel once they're properly broken in.
Also what size did you get?

The Stig2

Ready to race!
Oh snap. The Stig has them now! I'm curious how you feel once they're properly broken in.
Also what size did you get?

Will keep y’all updated after this weekend and then again at the 1k mark. So far these babies are the only performance mod I’ve done so far, but they put a smile on my face, ear to ear baby. Also, combined with the 4 wheel alignment I got done today, feels like I am driving a better new car than the one I drove off the dealership a few months ago. I just got the 225/40R18 92(Y) to keep everything straight and simple. I’ll leave it to the veterans to chime in on why going with another size is better.

Tires must be the most underrated, underestimated and most overlooked mod one can make to the car.