GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

DrDavid

Ready to race!
Maybe the 4S are really different to PSS..... because i am now in 225/40/18 PSS and they are SH@it in confort. Specially in noise, the sound in bad road are like a wheel bearing failure (my wheel bearing are perfect, i tried with another tire of my friend)...

the confort of PSS even at low psi (32-34) are the worst i ever have in a tire. Before that i was on Dunlop Direzza DZ102 and the noise and confort was really good....

in my MK6 before was on hankook ventus v12 and are great too...

i want to fire my f@cking michelin and never never never buy it again..... i will try Goodyear or Bridgestone....

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Maybe the 4S are really different to PSS..... because i am now in 225/40/18 PSS and they are SH@it in confort. Specially in noise, the sound in bad road are like a wheel bearing failure (my wheel bearing are perfect, i tried with another tire of my friend)...

the confort of PSS even at low psi (32-34) are the worst i ever have in a tire. Before that i was on Dunlop Direzza DZ102 and the noise and confort was really good....

i want to fire my f@cking michelin and never never never buy it again..... i will try Goodyear or Bridgestone....

Are they worn?

What’s your tread depth?

DrDavid

Ready to race!
5.000 kms like 3.000 milles.... front 5.5mm rear 6.5 mm. Really bad in confort........
Are they worn?

What’s your tread depth?

Enviado desde mi SM-N950F mediante Tapatalk

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
5.000 kms like 3.000 milles.... front 5.5mm rear 6.5 mm. Really bad in confort........

Enviado desde mi SM-N950F mediante Tapatalk

I don’t know what to say.

They aren’t going to ride like an all season touring tire, but as far as a summer tires mine were quiet and rode well.

My experience mirrors that of every review I have ever seen on them.

They aren’t the best tire for everything (grip, NVH, wet, dry), but they do everything at a high level.

It’s the kid that got A in every class. Sure some students got A+ in certain classes but <A-’s in others with a few B’s and C’s.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt

I recently got a set of PSS that came with a set of wheels. They are 235/45 R17. Comfort when set to 39 PSI is fine though road noise is pretty loud when on crap pavement.

am215

Ready to race!
I recently got a set of PSS that came with a set of wheels. They are 235/45 R17. Comfort when set to 39 PSI is fine though road noise is pretty loud when on crap pavement.

Mike, 39 psi might be too high since there is a higher load rating. I had them set to 33-34 when I was running them.

this chart says 32psi I believe, but that felt a little low

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Switched from PSS to PS4's. Noticed very little difference in dry day to day driving. Still excellent mileage (30 mpg driving round trip to mid Maine). Love both tires. Maybe the PS4's are a little quieter. I have heard a lot about the PS4's being noticeably better in rain, but haven't hit heavy rain yet.

First track days for the PS4's will be a two day session at Lime Rock, 6/27 and 28. That will be the real test for me.

Well, the tires were terrific at Lime Rock. Extremely predictable, excellent feedback, great grip and I was a bit faster on them than the PSS. I realize there are other variables; however, I would say they were worth a few tenths vs. the PSS at this track.

Have now driven them through a couple of really severe downpours and they were great in the rain as well.

R3D9

Passed Driver's Ed
Recently installed a set of 4S's onto my new GTI. Wheels are Replika Pretoria's, which are a placeholder till I can spare the extra cash for a set of RSe10's.

Love the tires... I'm finding 39 PSI for me provides the best blend of comfort and performance... had them down as low as 37 and found I was getting a lot of understeer in the corners. 40 was best in terms of handling but the ride was a touch too firm.

For reference, wheels are 18x8 and tires are 235/40R18.

Attachments

• vdub-1310.jpg
    vdub-1310.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 430
  • vdub-1313.jpg
    vdub-1313.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 411

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
So, let's see if I have this right re the MPS4s: The comfort at 39 psi stinks, but it's great at 32, except they plow at 33, so you have to run them at 36, but then they are so damn noisy that you want to them at 34. Or maybe 35. Got it. Thanks.

R3D9

Passed Driver's Ed
So, let's see if I have this right re the MPS4s: The comfort at 39 psi stinks, but it's great at 32, except they plow at 33, so you have to run them at 36, but then they are so damn noisy that you want to them at 34. Or maybe 35. Got it. Thanks.

I didn’t say that, but if ever there was a subjective measure, comfort would be it. Also depends heavily upon whether or not you have DCC, I’m sure.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
I didn’t say that, but if ever there was a subjective measure, comfort would be it. Also depends heavily upon whether or not you have DCC, I’m sure.
R3D9: Have you read the posts above yours? I wasn't singling you out. Or anyone else for that matter. My point was simply there's no consensus regarding the best or "correct" psi for this tire. Nor, for that matter, is there any agreement regarding comfort, road noise or value for $. The only thing everyone seems to agree about is a Mk7 handles exceptionally well with this tire.

DrDavid

Ready to race!
R3D9: ................. is there any agreement regarding comfort, road noise or value for $. ........... .

Not sure in PS4S but in the PSS original size (225/40/18) =

regarding comfort = 7 ....not too bad
road noise = -1..... the worst tire i ever use......

R3D9

Passed Driver's Ed
R3D9: Have you read the posts above yours? I wasn't singling you out. Or anyone else for that matter. My point was simply there's no consensus regarding the best or "correct" psi for this tire. Nor, for that matter, is there any agreement regarding comfort, road noise or value for $. The only thing everyone seems to agree about is a Mk7 handles exceptionally well with this tire.

Sorry if it seemed like I took offence... I got what you were driving at and was trying to reinforce your point, which is the whole psi-thing is subjective and every driver is going to have a different setting that works best for them.

Like you said, though, one thing anyone will agree on is that the PS4S is miles better than the stock all seasons if performance is at all important to you.