GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Marshall@COBB's 2017 GTI Sport

COBB Tuning

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Hey everyone! I'm Marshall, part of the Marketing team here at COBB Tuning. I wanted to start a thread to document what I'll be doing with my newest vehicle, a Night Blue Metallic 2017 VW GTI Sport DSG. I don't have any crazy plans for it as this will be the car to fulfill the daily driver duties.

Current Picture:

Current Modification List:

VCDS Tweaks:
  • Disabled Sound Actuator

My 'toy' car is a 2004 WRX wagon. It's brown, has a built motor, runs on E85, and makes right at 400whp/400wtq.

I've actually been driving the WRX daily for the past two years and recently decided that I needed something a bit more reliable for every day use. I test drove quite a few cars over the past 6 months including an Audi Allroad, Lexus IS350 F Sport, Subaru Crosstrek, and Audi A6 3.0T. While they all had there perks, none of them really "felt" right. I kept coming back to the GTI for many reasons. My brother owned a Mk5 GTI 6MT and I always enjoyed driving it while he was out of town. Near the end of November our local dealerships were running some pretty enticing incentives so I jumped on it.

It's quite dirty now as it's rained for most of the 500 miles I have put on it. I'll be giving it a good detail here in the next week or so. I love it so far, driving the WRX for the past couple of years allowed me to forget about a lot of creature comforts that I'm now getting to re-discover.

That's all for now, I should have a nice pile of parts showing up for it next week!

Marshall@COBB

Last edited:

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
How dare you come on this forum, days after COBB released their tuning solution, and not say you are getting it for the GTI :) Car looks great and look forward to the modding! Enjoy!

COBB Tuning

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
How dare you come on this forum, days after COBB released their tuning solution, and not say you are getting it for the GTI :) Car looks great and look forward to the modding! Enjoy!

Ha! I've got some time to ponder tuning while we iron out 2017MY Accessport support. I will definitely be doing some suspension and aesthetic modifications though!

Marshall@COBB

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
I absolutely love your WRX, cant wait to see whats to come of this GTI :)

COBB Tuning

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
I absolutely love your WRX, cant wait to see whats to come of this GTI :)

Thank you!

Installed the First 'modification' yesterday, a rho-plate Tow Hook License Plate Mount. I feel a bit lucky as the dealership had not drilled holes in the front bumper for the license plate mount, wanted to keep it that way.

I also have a small pile of parts accumulating in my office. Hoping to install these next week.

Last edited:

kairojya

Passed Driver's Ed
I just bought a 17 Sport as well. I'll be following your build, as I'm interested in an AP (I had a white Mazdaspeed3 a few vehicles ago).

On another note, I've only lived in Texas (Dallas) for a couple years. I've yet to make the drive to Austin and check out the roads to the west (Three Sisters or something?). Are there any annual meets/cruises in the area? I hope to take a weekend trip and drive some of the roads others have told me about.

COBB Tuning

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
And then it'll turn into a toy as you purchase a Golf R. :D

Must....resist....urge... haha!

Awesome pile of parts! May I ask why you decided to go with struts and springs as opposed to coilovers? Thank you!

I decided on the spring/strut configuration for a couple of reasons. First and foremost - cost. This combination set me back less than half that of a "good" set of coilovers. Secondly, I wanted to try something new. I've run many sets of coilovers on my WRX and they've all been just a touch stiffer than I want for a street car.

I just bought a 17 Sport as well. I'll be following your build, as I'm interested in an AP (I had a white Mazdaspeed3 a few vehicles ago).

On another note, I've only lived in Texas (Dallas) for a couple years. I've yet to make the drive to Austin and check out the roads to the west (Three Sisters or something?). Are there any annual meets/cruises in the area? I hope to take a weekend trip and drive some of the roads others have told me about.

Nice! I'm hoping we'll have 2017 support ready early next year so I can turn it up just a touch. There are definitely some great road around central TX. I haven't made it down to Twisted Sisters/Three Sisters yet, some of the COBB guys were talking about putting together a trip for Spring 2017.

The GTI is going in for window tint tomorrow morning. Should be able to get the suspension and spacers all installed this week!

Marshall@COBB

COBB Tuning

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Have you guys pro-tuned it yet for the mk7?

We do offer Accesstuner Pro to our network of Protuners who can certainly create custom tunes for the Mk7 cars. You can find a list of those Protuners using our Dealer Locator.

Nice cars. How did you get a shot of your 135 in front of the Paramount Theater without getting towed? haha

Thanks! We went late one evening and didn't have much of an issue. There were actually other cars parked out front at the time, they may not allow parking up front anymore (that was probably ~3 years ago).

Marshall@COBB

COBB Tuning

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Aaaaaand we're back!

Over the holiday break I was able to tackle a few things on the list.

Installed Koni Sport (Yellow) struts, Eibach ProKit, and H&R Trak+ spacers. The overall stance is exactly what I was hoping for, basically just eliminating most of the wheel gap. So far the ride is great as well. It is slightly firmer than stock though I do currently have the Konis on their softest setting.

I was also able to get some window tint done by a local company here in Austin, Bespoke Paint Protection. They generally specialize in paint protection film on slightly more expensive cars, but were able to squeeze the GTI in. Windows are 35%, windshield is 75%. Tint is essentially mandatory in Texas summers.

Next up on the agenda are some VCDS tweaks. I can really only think of a few that I'd really like to have.
  • Auto-Down Mirror
  • DRL On with Turn Signal
  • Comfort Access Windows Up/Down

Marshall@COBB

Last edited: