GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Maintenance Questions (fluids, cloth)

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Hey what's up fellow dubbers,

I have put on about 9,000 miles on my GTi and absolutely loving it more and more each day. It's becoming increasingly difficult to decide if I should drive the GTi or my 128i.

With that said, I plan to keep this car for as long as possible, hopefully longer than the 15 years I had my 2002 GTi. With that said:

-When and how often should I change my manual transmission fluid?

-Is it necessary to walnut blast my intake valves every 50k miles not unlike the BMW 135i?

-I have never owned a cloth interior car before, and I already have some small dirt marks on the door cars, and on the back seats. What products or methods should I use to clean them out?

-Should I invest in a steam vacuum, like a small one?

Thanks,
Gray_Panther

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
303 Upholstery is all you need for cloth seats.

Steam vacuum, eh you can rent one if you get really messy with your seats. Like you just took mud bath, or you ate too much chipotle.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Anyone recommend carbon buildup cleaning?
I found youtube video for manual transmission fluid change so That looks pretty easy.

Thanks AspektZA for the recommendation!

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Anyone recommend carbon buildup cleaning?
I found youtube video for manual transmission fluid change so That looks pretty easy.

Thanks AspektZA for the recommendation!

Initial reports are that our intake valves aren't fouling up with deposits at the same rate as earlier DI engines. So walnut blasting or some other cleaning might be necessary eventually, but it might not be needed until 75k or 100k miles (just speculating - not too many with that mileage yet).

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm still waiting for someone with say 30-40,000 miles to pull the intake or possibly use a borescope to look for buildup when they change plugs.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You may want to consider an extended warranty. For 2016 cars you can buy a 10 year, 100,000 mile VW/Fidelity one for about $2,700 IIRC.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
I thought about the extended warranty but decided against it since I take care of my german cars and maintain them properly. And if something breaks, I have the right tools for the job.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I thought about the extended warranty but decided against it since I take care of my german cars and maintain them properly. And if something breaks, I have the right tools for the job.

I hear you. I liked to do a lot of my own work when I was younger. Now I just want to drive.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

I hear you. I liked to do a lot of my own work when I was younger. Now I just want to drive.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
So they often say that the fluid is good for the "lifetime" of a vehicle. I guess it depends on what a lifetime is defined as. I know I will be changing mine because the last fluids that were good for a "lifetime" that i changed definitely needed it and made the car feel peppier.

Also didn't Wolf post pictures or a video of his valves during his last disassemble?